'24-'25 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

56 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

It's not according to Goodman.  Gotta wonder though what prompted this 20 days before the start of the season?

If I were guessing and it's purely that....he's doing this now so one of his comrades can get the job. Otherwise given his answers at ACC Media Days makes him look pretty hypocritical. 

Since we have to qualify our bias on many things. I've never been a TB fan. Nor his family.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Might be pulling a Bo Ryan so they are forced to hire his assistant coach.

That was what I saw on the Field of 68 where they were speculating just that. His assistant left a HC job at Charlotte to become the assistant at UVA. Dean Smith did the same thing do they would hire Bill Guthridge. We have now lost a lot of the top coaches in the last few years and the main cause us their dislike for what college sports has become.

Jay Wright

Roy Williams

Coach K

Jim Boheim

Toney Bennett 

I think the next one will be Tom Izzo

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That was what I saw on the Field of 68 where they were speculating just that. His assistant left a HC job at Charlotte to become the assistant at UVA. Dean Smith did the same thing do they would hire Bill Guthridge. We have now lost a lot of the top coaches in the last few years and the main cause us their dislike for what college sports has become.

Jay Wright

Roy Williams

Coach K

Jim Boheim

Toney Bennett 

I think the next one will be Tom Izzo

Of those coaches, only Wright and Bennett were even slightly a surprise. The rest were well into their 70s and Izzo is about to get there. In any other profession, you're surprised that a guy who's already made millions *hasn't* retired by then.

Bennett is 55. He coaches a *very* specific style of basketball. One which hasn't been so successful of late, and probably won't be successful in the future given the direction basketball is headed purely in terms of play on the court, and not for anything off it. It's very likely he has already peaked professionally as a coach. It's not hard at all to imagine he would be ready move on to something else. 

The portal and NIL have been a thing for years. I truly hope he doesn't give that as a reason for this decision. Because if players having more power is why he decided to quit on his own team, players that chose to be at Virginia, with less than a month before the season, it's a bad, bad look.

• Like 2

I can see complaining about college basketball, but college football is very healthy.  It’s lapping basketball in importance.  Basketball is drifting toward niche sport status like college baseball.  It’s becoming a March brackets sport. College football, on the other hand, has captured the imagination of fans at a huge scale.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I can see complaining about college basketball, but college football is very healthy.  It’s lapping basketball in importance.  Basketball is drifting toward niche sport status like college baseball.  It’s becoming a March brackets sport. College football, on the other hand, has captured the imagination of fans at a huge scale.  

Nick Saban retired for the very same reason and Dabo Swinney probably will be next

51 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Although football players can still transfer, football benefits from the NFL rule that players have to be three years out of HS to declare for the draft. Helps the quality of the product vs CBB

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

If I were guessing and it's purely that....he's doing this now so one of his comrades can get the job. Otherwise given his answers at ACC Media Days makes him look pretty hypocritical. 

Since we have to qualify our bias on many things. I've never been a TB fan. Nor his family.

Pulling the Bo Ryan move if that is the case.

• Like 1