'24-'25 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think after the UCLA stop, he might think he is in a good place at Nevada and settle in, unless an opportunity is presented that he wouldn’t be able to pass up. There aren’t many of those. Maybe only one. 

I see Steve being thirsty for a title.  That being said he is running out of time.

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

You think he would take another P5 job before seeing how things play out 4-6 years down the road?  

Right now, I'd tell you Steve doesn't have the resume to get the IU job.  Thus far, every high major job he's taken has been a failure.  I wish him the best, but there's a reason he's been called Stevie Mediocre.  He's doing a good job at the mid major level, but thus far, it's never translated when the lights got bright.

• Like 1

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Right now, I'd tell you Steve doesn't have the resume to get the IU job.  Thus far, every high major job he's taken has been a failure.  I wish him the best, but there's a reason he's been called Stevie Mediocre.  He's doing a good job at the mid major level, but thus far, it's never translated when the lights got bright.

I thought leaving New Mexico was a mistake. I think Nevada is a great fit for him. I’m just wondering out loud about what his thinking would be. I’m not advocating for anything and I’m certainly not looking to push Woodson out. 

14 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I thought leaving New Mexico was a mistake. I think Nevada is a great fit for him. I’m just wondering out loud about what his thinking would be. I’m not advocating for anything and I’m certainly not looking to push Woodson out. 

I'd agree.  That New Mexico/Nevada gig appears to be just about perfect for Steve's level of recruiting and coaching ability.  When he has to compete in the Big Ten or at UCLA, any weakness is likely to get exposed.  I don't think he's terrible or elite, which means the Nevada gig is probably perfect for him.

That being said, I'd be surprised if he didn't take another swing at the big leagues.

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, cause that's the same thing. 

Kansas beat NCCU by 43, Manhattan by 38, and Chaminade by 27. 

Not sure what any of those games have to do with tonight’s game, against Yale, that they are struggling in.

God forbid that someone make an observation that goes against the narrative. Yeah, we’ve struggled, multiple times. Other teams have as well. 

Get over yourself 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not sure what any of those games have to do with tonight’s game, against Yale, that they are struggling in.

God forbid that someone make an observation that goes against the narrative. Yeah, we’ve struggled, multiple times. Other teams have as well. 

Get over yourself 

I think the point was, sure, good teams can struggle with mid-majors every once in a while, but Kansas’s exception has been the norm for us. If you want to call that a ‘narrative’ then fine. But the ‘observation’ ultimately didn’t prove your point because Kansas ended up winning by 15, 2 less than our biggest margin of victory so far this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think the point was, sure, good teams can struggle with mid-majors every once in a while, but Kansas’s exception has been the norm for us. If you want to call that a ‘narrative’ then fine. But the ‘observation’ ultimately didn’t prove your point because Kansas ended up winning by 15, 2 less than our biggest margin of victory so far this season.

The difference is Kansas is an experienced team that knows how to win (which we saw firsthand)...

We aren't...we're learning how to win. 

I think all of us older fellas understand the anguish y'all feel...But some of the most enjoyable seasons I've been through as an IU fan are those teams that surprise you...

One of the more humorous unspoken points of the positive vs negative, metrics vs hugs and emotions, Homer vs hater, debates to me…

The negative, hater POV is actually the folks that have the higher opinion of what IU is capable of, and the folks who think all is well are the ones with the lower opinion of what IU, this team, players, and coaches are capable of delivering. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

One of the more humorous unspoken points of the positive vs negative, metrics vs hugs and emotions, Homer vs hater, debates to me…

The negative, hater POV is actually the folks that have the higher opinion of what IU is capable of, and the folks who think all is well are the ones with the lower opinion of what IU, this team, players, and coaches are capable of delivering. 

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I expect every IU team to be competing for conference titles and making the occasional deep run in the tournament.

Not a black and white world.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Which is why it was a poor analogy in the first place. @BGleas pointed it out, and he was told to get over himself. 

Again, if you read my follow up post, I am not considering the entire season, just one game. BGleas chose to make my comment be more than it was. 

As far as my “get over yourself “ comment… I found his post to be very similar to what he and others have been complaining about in regards to attempts by posters to “shut down “ negative comments, only from the other perspective. IMO his post came across as really aggressive, borderline asshole-ish, and not what I would expect from a mod.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It really more boils down to this...

You, and the other "haters" (your term, not mine, but using it for reference) only worry about how the team and the results make YOU feel...That's all you care about...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It really more boils down to this...

You, and the other "haters" (your term, not mine, but using it for reference) only worry about how the team and the results make YOU feel...That's all you care about...

That’s actually not remotely true, but thanks.

What do you worry about?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

That’s actually not remotely true, but thanks.

What do you worry about?

Obviously it is...

What do I worry about? My wife, my kids, my grandkids, my friends, my duty...That's really about it...

Indiana basketball is something I love, but to put it in proper perspective, it doesn't really affect me or my overall happiness...Am I glad when they win? Sure...Am I disappointed when we lose? Sometimes, but I get over both really quickly...

I've explained more than once why last year was an enjoyable one for me, so I'm not going to go over it again...This year has been enjoyable as well...Sorry it isn't to you, but that's your issue...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Again, if you read my follow up post, I am not considering the entire season, just one game. BGleas chose to make my comment be more than it was. 

As far as my “get over yourself “ comment… I found his post to be very similar to what he and others have been complaining about in regards to attempts by posters to “shut down “ negative comments, only from the other perspective. IMO his post came across as really aggressive, borderline asshole-ish, and not what I would expect from a mod.

lol what a leap.

Theres a difference in saying “you can’t talk about this negative thing until the season is over” and “this comparison to try to justify our struggles isn’t a good comparison and here are reasons why”.

One is telling folks to shut up, one is a rebuttal to a point. You could have continued to have productive dialogue about why you felt your point was a good one but instead told him to get over himself. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So what constitutes a successful season as opposed to a "failure" to you?

I don’t want to steal KOB’s thunder, but I’d also like to answer this. 

Failure is not making the tournament. Plain and simple. 

Given today’s climate in college basketball, which includes NIL and the transfer portal, I think a team with our resources, fan base and history we should…..

- Never be wondering ‘if’ we should be making the tournament. We should be wondering, how high is our seed.

- We should always finish top 5 in the conference. . 

- We should not have the type of down years that put us on the bubble. A ‘down year’ for us should be around an 8 seed. 

- We should not be worrying about roster turnover. Seriously, F that. We have one of the biggest alumni bases in the country and most of us are basketball fanatics. We have alumni that will pony up to pay coaches our buy out their contracts. We have that NIL collectives that can bring in high volumes of donations at the drop of a hat. 

- We should not be debating who is and who is not struggling against mid-majors to make ourselves feel more optimistic. We shouldn’t even be in this position. 

Shaka and Beard have turned around their programs quickly. Some may be saying that I’m comparing us to anomalies of success, and you’re damn right that I am. I wouldn’t make those expectations about the football program because that would be silly. I’m talking about Indiana University basketball - we are valued as the 3rd most valuable program in college basketball.

If you call my expectations unrealistic, then I guess we’ll never see eye to eye.

• Like 3