IU Baseball 2025

btownqb

Just now, IUJoe said:

I certainly agree with you on Mercer.  I would ask, though, what your opinion is of the pitching coach.  I know we've had injuries, and I don't follow baseball recruiting like you do, but it seems we've recruited some fairly highly ranked pitchers that too many times haven't lived up to their ranking.  Is that a fair assessment?

Yes. I don't know enough to know--- the results are, this season sucked on the mound... 3 of Top 7 arms go down.. including 2 of the top 4 and Friday night starter... 

But--- at the the same time--- we grabbed Foley who wasn't a "pitcher only" guy in HS, played 3B and very good football player and in two years he's a Top 200 draft eligible SO (praying he stays)... 

Sinnard-- 8.00+ era as a True FR at WKU and comes and throws Sundays, moves to Saturdays, and then becomes our ace.. setting our season record on Ks.. stuffed Iowa twice... he's a Top 200 prospect too. Possible he comes back and tries to.move up (probably not if the moneys right)... 

Those are both aces in the hole for Glant. Yoho is quickly.moving up the Brewers org, another feather. 

I didn't watch, but I guess Mercer was pretty straight forward that the pitching results weren't good enough in an interview after the season. 

• 4 weeks later...

Foley late 5th to AZ.. I guess he'll sign since they took him? 

392K slot value-- he might get over that? 

Idk. Feel like he could come back and get into the 2nd rd-- and get 4x that amount. 

IU announced it.. so I'm sure he's signing. 

Another really solid feather in Mercers cap. 

3 recruits drafted 

Tobias went pretty early.  He's probably gone. 

The other two went in the last round, as did Risedorph, so there is a chance they all come back. 

Thomas and Hanley, our biggest recruits were not drafted, they should Hoosiers. 

Cerny, Pyne not drafted. They'll be back.  

------- 

Taylor, Pyne, Cerny, Wiggins, Oliver, Joey Brenczewski, Sheppard, Stadler is a very solid start to an offense. Plus TR Dickerson-- I think a CF/9 hole guy with big time speed.. 

I'm unsure what Hanleys plans are position wise, elite 1B with big pop, but an big time pitcher, too. 6'6 230. 

Hogan Denny could find his way on the field as a FR. 

Lots of stuff to be ironed out. Two weeks from today (signing deadline)... we will have a better outlook. 

Risedorph, FR Brumnel, FR Malamazian-- those would be the three decision guys. 

• btownqb changed the title to IU Baseball 2025

!!!!!

I know nothing about these kids. Highly ranked, clearly highly thought of by at least one Major League franchise/Brewers knew they wouldn't have a lot of extra bonus money so took swings on HS kids... 

But-- it simply can't be a bad thing. 

Pumped. Draft was solid for the Hoosiers. Sinnard, Foley shine/get paid-- Brummel, Thomas, Hanley, and Malamazian seem to be reporting to campus. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

SIAP, but looks like former DePauw HC Blake Allen is replacing Simmons on the coaching staff.  Saw this on another board.  I know nothing about him.

He's been an asst at Vandy before 

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2024 at 10:02 AM, Fkfootball said:

If he's good enough for Tim Corbin, then it's probably a fine hire. I still think IU needs a top notch pitching coach but Mercer isn't ready to make that change yet.

Man.. hard for me to believe we can do better than the Yankees Triple A pitching coach. 

9 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

You've watched the pitching the past 2 years right?

I watch every game.  

I watched Sinnard go from an 8+ ERA to a 3rd rd pick (1st rd if it wasn't for the injury)... 

I watched Yoho get to Triple A as a rookie/good chance he gets a big league invite next year. 

I watched Foley go from unranked to 5th rd pick and million dollar signing bonus in 2 years.