2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not much. He is mostly a finisher around the rim. High energy guy…glue guy that plays limited mins but just makes winning basketball plays. Expect him to avg 10-12 mins a game and have positive plus minus.

More skilled, and I assume much more consistently solid defensively then what we've been running as our back up 4. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not much. He is mostly a finisher around the rim. High energy guy…glue guy that plays limited mins but just makes winning basketball plays. Expect him to avg 10-12 mins a game and have positive plus minus.

Saw him hit a few threes and looks like that ability caused defenders to get caught up a bit and let him drive.  I am not expecting him to be all world but looks like he is another guy that helps spread the floor.  His ability to put it on the floor looks to exceed Race's from the clips.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Saw him hit a few threes and looks like that ability caused defenders to get caught up a bit and let him drive.  I am not expecting him to be all world but looks like he is another guy that helps spread the floor.  His ability to put it on the floor looks to exceed Race's from the clips.

He will probably help.more on the defensive end as he is more mobile.

• 4 weeks later...

Gabe Cupps' work ethic impressing teammates and coaches:

"No matter what, if there's something at 6 a.m. that he has to be at, he is working out before to start his dayIf he has to catch a flight at 4:30 in the morning, he will work out before the flight at 4:30. And he's done that for 10 years straight, and that's why he is where he is."

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/article/a-special-young-kid-indiana-basketball-iu-hoosiers-freshman-gabe-cupps-respect-actions-214403051/

• Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Gabe Cupps' work ethic impressing teammates and coaches:

"No matter what, if there's something at 6 a.m. that he has to be at, he is working out before to start his dayIf he has to catch a flight at 4:30 in the morning, he will work out before the flight at 4:30. And he's done that for 10 years straight, and that's why he is where he is."

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/article/a-special-young-kid-indiana-basketball-iu-hoosiers-freshman-gabe-cupps-respect-actions-214403051/

Cups and Leal were in Ft Wayne over the weekend for an NIL event. Lines out the door waiting for a chance to say hi and from all reports, the two players were excellent with the fans 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Cups and Leal were in Ft Wayne over the weekend for an NIL event. Lines out the door waiting for a chance to say hi and from all reports, the two players were excellent with the fans 

And why didn't you notify me of this event?

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I can't remember the time or score, but there was one play that really impressed me. Cupps found himself on defense under the  basket and blocked a shot, and i was thinking to myself I couldn't remember the last time I saw any older guard on the team, block someone's shot at the rim, but he just happened to be in the right place at the right time and got a piece of the ball. That to me just kind of says it all about the kid -- be in the right place at the right time and just make the play that is there to be made.

Edited by MSHoosier