Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

We need experience with the last scholarship for the '24-'25 season.  Woody should prioritize getting transfer Coleman Hawkins.  Hawkins is a starter with playing time of 30 mpg or more since he's a better overall player compared to Ballo and Reneau - especially considering his mobility, defense, and 3 pt shooting.   Getting Hawkins would open up driving lanes for the guards and kick-outs for 3 pt shots for Mbacko, Hawkins, Goode, and even Reneau. Woody can mentor Hawkins if he's really looking for someone to help him prep for the NBA. GO HOOSIERS!

• Sad 1

On 6/10/2024 at 5:47 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

The only culture thing I can think of is the “buying the team” discussion, but IU isn’t unique in that. CMW has been consistent in saying he only wants guys here for the right reasons, but that culture may get tested with the amount of money involved. 

Honestly…..you can’t question any player getting a million dollars to play college basketball 🏀 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm sorry I gave Bozich a click for that crap.

Whys that? I thought the story about the Hoosier Hysterics was kind of interesting.
Also how Woodson seems to think he is Bob Knight caliber clout and can throw his weight around IU.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Whys that? I thought the story about the Hoosier Hysterics was kind of interesting.
Also how Woodson seems to think he is Bob Knight caliber clout and can throw his weight around IU.

When your main source material is the HH podcast crew that's unhappy about losing access, you lose a lot of credibility.  I'd give as much weight to The National Enquirer.

• Like 2

I like listening to HH podcasts and think they have done great things for NIL for IU. Having said that, I feel like they make a ton of cringey, uncouth comments to their guests and feel like they are way more important than they are. Coaches do not have to rely as much on these private collectives anymore, even though they were the main source for the last few seasons and will still help in the future.   Sounds like Coach decided he didn’t want to put up with that type of energy anymore.  I don’t blame him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoosier98 said:

I like listening to HH podcasts and think they have done great things for NIL for IU. Having said that, I feel like they make a ton of cringey, uncouth comments to their guests and feel like they are way more important than they are. 

When they first started the podcast, the guests (mainly former players) were the main attraction. When the pod got popular is when it morphed into those guys being the main focus, and the guests were of minor importance compared to them. I'm not surprised since both of them are from Lala land and involved in Hollywood. It was only a matter of time.

I also believe that IU basketball made a huge mistake letting 2 "fans with microphones" get "inside" the program. They had access to practices, supposedly hung out in the offices with staff on occasion, which elevated their importance even more (at least in their own minds). 

Everybody will take away what they want from the podcast about  the meeting with Woodson. I'm not going to try to persuade anybody one way or the other, but I believe some portion of what was communicated on the pod is true.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hoosier98 said:

I like listening to HH podcasts and think they have done great things for NIL for IU. Having said that, I feel like they make a ton of cringey, uncouth comments to their guests and feel like they are way more important than they are. Coaches do not have to rely as much on these private collectives anymore, even though they were the main source for the last few seasons and will still help in the future.   Sounds like Coach decided he didn’t want to put up with that type of energy anymore.  I don’t blame him. 

Their type of energy would have been fine with the school had they properly kissed Mike's butt.  In fact, it sounds like they are still going to be involved with other sports (WBB and soccer).

This is totally about them not towing the line last year.  Which is fine, whatever.  None of us would care about Mike's ego if he had the results to match it.

On another note, I agree with you about their shenanigans.  I started a thread about as much over a year ago.  I think their content often crossed into cringeworthy so I am not totally sad to see them extricated from the program.  I think Indiana should try to have some standards behind the NIL collectives they basically sanction.  That isn't happening here though.  They would still be doing their thing had they not had Evans on and said Woodson was doing a crap job last year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Their type of energy would have been fine with the school had they properly kissed Mike's butt.  In fact, it sounds like they are still going to be involved with other sports (WBB and soccer).

This is totally about them not towing the line last year.  Which is fine, whatever.  None of us would care about Mike's ego if he had the results to match it.

On another note, I agree with you about their shenanigans.  I started a thread about as much over a year ago.  I think their content often crossed into cringeworthy so I am not totally sad to see them extricated from the program.  I think Indiana should try to have some standards behind the NIL collectives they basically sanction.  That isn't happening here though.  They would still be doing their thing had they not had Evans on and said Woodson was doing a crap job last year.

Agree-- and if Woodson would win at a higher clip our fans would laugh these stories right into oblivion. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It's notable that Dolson was at the meeting and didn't end the relationship with IU, as you point out. Apparently, the IU athletic department has no issues with how they represent the university. Disturbing, but not surprising, given the access they were given for so long. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Does anyone know why Woodson was in Miami this weekend. His car was at AH all weekend and i was at the airport today and Woody was on the flight from Miami. is Anyone there they are looking at?

He went down with Kel'el for his meeting with Spolstra and Riley...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Does anyone know why Woodson was in Miami this weekend. His car was at AH all weekend and i was at the airport today and Woody was on the flight from Miami. is Anyone there they are looking at?

So you can hang out on campus all week taking pictures, and then just happen to be at the airport yo catch Woodie off a flight.

Dude go buy a lottery ticket. :)

7 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

So you can hang out on campus all week taking pictures, and then just happen to be at the airport yo catch Woodie off a flight.

Dude go buy a lottery ticket. :)

It works every where but Marriage and the lottery.

• Haha 1