Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 hour ago, Sea Turtle said:

Didn't Beilein retire suddenly late , leaving them scrambling? 

Beilein went to the NBA to coach the CAVS. The rumors at the time was Warde didn’t do anything to lock Beilein up and give him the support he was looking for. Same with Bakich the baseball coach who left. It was also rumored that Wardes top coaching choice was Ed Cooley. When it got leaked there was backlash and he pivoted and hired Howard. Howard never adjusted to the admission requirements at Michigan. Had Shannon Jr and Caleb Love but admission credit issues cost him. He targeted talent but not talent that would make sense given the admission circumstances. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Feathery said:

Hahaha. Michigan fans want their AD fired and is generally viewed as being incompetent at his job. Their fans are split on Dusty being successful or not. But Warde Manuel has a track record at Michigan of being very slow at making decisions, see their hockey coach contract expiring and sitting on a report with no action for 6ish months before the media got it and he had to do something. He let their baseball coach go, his handling of sign stealing in football was not well received for not backing Harbaugh when the NCAA had the Big Ten come after him bc NCAA rule wasn’t technically broken. 

Well, then there's that.  At least he made this decision, I guess? Yikes.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think he is definitely a good coach, but i'm not a fan.  would definitely take a handful of other coaches over him.  

I am not saying he's necessarily a good fit for IU, but he's still young and smart. And are you a fan of Dusty? And if so why? I would take a handful of other coaches over him as well. He might be good, but IU needs more of a "savior" than a gamble hire. For Michigan if he's good, great. If not, no big deal for them. I just don't think IU can hire another flavor of the month type of guy. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Feathery said:

Beilein went to the NBA to coach the CAVS. The rumors at the time was Warde didn’t do anything to lock Beilein up and give him the support he was looking for. Same with Bakich the baseball coach who left. It was also rumored that Wardes top coaching choice was Ed Cooley. When it got leaked there was backlash and he pivoted and hired Howard. Howard never adjusted to the admission requirements at Michigan. Had Shannon Jr and Caleb Love but admission credit issues cost him. He targeted talent but not talent that would make sense given the admission circumstances. 

They were never going to keep Bakich. And they made a helluva hire in Tracy Smith. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Feathery said:

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They were never going to keep Bakich. And they made a helluva hire in Tracy Smith. 

This Bakich guy needs to get a new last name.  I keep misreading it as 'Dakich', and am at risk of losing my breakfast every time that happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I know IU fans love Tracy Smith, Michigan fans are still questioning it to be honest. He was a success at IU but didn’t do well at his next stop. So there is skepticism. Year 1 was a .500 record. 

21 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I know IU fans love Tracy Smith, Michigan fans are still questioning it to be honest. He was a success at IU but didn’t do well at his next stop. So there is skepticism. Year 1 was a .500 record. 

They had a good year last year.  

9 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

There is a real chance Calipari becomes available. It would be malpractice not to pursue him.

I would cease to be an IU fan at that point.  I would rather have Archie or Sampson back.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

There is a real chance Calipari becomes available. It would be malpractice not to pursue him.

But you're forgetting the cardinal rule of the Indiana administration...no one bigger than the program ever again no matter what.

Would never be hired in a million years.

16 minutes ago, Indykev said:

You are old...lol...IU doesnt even require SAT scores anymore unless its Kelley or Jacobs. I'm old to by the way.

That has nothing to do with it...

Rose didn't take the SAT(he says he did, but all of the evidence says he didn't), which, at the time was required to be eligible...Memphis vacated their 30+ wins and FF appearance...

I'm pretty sure there are still eligibility requirements...Ask Juwan Howard and the Michigan compliance department...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

But you're forgetting the cardinal rule of the Indiana administration...no one bigger than the program ever again no matter what.

Would never be hired in a million years.

Do you truly think that would be the 'reason' IU would have no interest in Calipari?  

Or, are you willing to consider the fact that there could be multiple factors why he would not be hired, that are both beyond what you perceive his 'bigness' may be, and that those reasons have legitimacy behind them.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

Calimari is an average coach that used to be able to have a major advantage by buying players before NIL was a thing. 

Now that everyone is openly buying players, he lost his advantage. 

If we want the one coach that can do less than Woodson with more talent, then cal is the guy.

Personally I would rather someone get more out of the team than the sum of their parts.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 2