Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

The response to that though is that we’ve played that style three years in a row. It’s not just missing last offseason and having to adjust to this year’s roster. It’s been every year. Two first round draft picks and a veteran team last year masked the issues we see this year IMO. But even then, we got smashed in the second round. Needed a miracle run late in year one to make the tournament before getting smashed in the first round. 

Good points, and if it’s the same next season, I’ll be at the front of the line saying it’s time for a change.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

he isnt coming for less than $6 million.

unless you have heard that from him, I would not guarantee that. nothing absolute but some people close to USI and Pearl seem to think the he has made enough money that there is a number but it might not be as high to come to IU. I have no idea just what I heard. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Good points, and if it’s the same next season, I’ll be at the front of the line saying it’s time for a change.

I appreciate you holding your ground on what you believe, but can i ask why 3 years of the same thing is any different than 4 years of the same thing, even if we win more games next year with the same scheme?  Just curious.  I honestly have zero opinion anymore on IU basketball.  Just don't care enough to invest my energy in one way or the other.  But i am always interested in why people go against the stream of the majority.  Again, not saying you're wrong or anything.  Just interested

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Dolson has a plan. We just need to be patient because there won’t be real news coming out daily over the next couple weeks and there will be plenty of rumors.

Ohhh, I told yall he was announcing retirement at the B1G tourney.  Sparking the magical going away run.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The only thing that would slow Pearl down on accepting the IU job is not seem so eager that he would do for less money. The guy would move heaven and Earth to become the head coach at Indiana.  Since most if not all of the grey area has been removed in college basketball i would take Pearl in a heartbeat. 

5c5cce86fb569ffc90bb362c49b12021.gif

Not trying to be that guy but since the discussion about firing Mike Woodson involves speculation about potential coaching candidates I can't help wondering why Bruce Pearl would want to leave the SEC? The SEC is either number 1 or 2 for the most current NBA players. The SEC overall plays a style of basketball that is decent to watch unlike the BIG Ten which is simply put "straight garbage." I say that while I continue watching BIG 10 basketball because that's what I'll do until I die.

Would you rather watch the top 2 teams in the Big 10 play or the top two in the SEC? One game would involve watching a 7'4" player hack everyone death, a free throw disparity of 4 to 1  and Brad Underwood pulling a choke job in the last 8 minutes. While the other would involve modern day basketball both offensively and defensively.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall a decent coach leaving the ACC, BIG 12 and or SEC for the Big Ten in the last two decades. Maybe there was 1 but I think that proves my point. If some says Brad Underwood may god have mercy on your soul.

Lastly, the Big Ten is not place where NBA talent guards and the best NCAA coaches want to go. If we fire Mike Woodson most likely we will end up with another unproven coach from a mid-major conference. Does that mean we should want Woodson? No, it doesn't but in my opinion the issue will always be roster construction with any coach we hire until the BIG decides not to play bully ball. Change should occur but the type of change we desire for Indiana Basketball will always be limited by the Big Ten. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Pearl's name has come up before the Crean hire, the Archie hire and the Woody hire. 

I always assumed that the school thought there were instances he flirted too close to the line (regarding NCAA rules). But  I can't remember the details that surrounded narrative.

You do have to wonder if Pearl's a good enough candidate now, then why wasn't he the 3 previous times?

Because every grey line he's danced on is now gone? 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Not trying to be that guy but since the discussion about firing Mike Woodson involves speculation about potential coaching candidates I can't help wondering why Bruce Pearl would want to leave the SEC? The SEC is either number 1 or 2 for the most current NBA players. The SEC overall plays a style of basketball that is decent to watch unlike the BIG Ten which is simply put "straight garbage." I say that while I continue watching BIG 10 basketball because that's what I'll do until I die.

Would you rather watch the top 2 teams in the Big 10 play or the top two in the SEC? One game would involve watching a 7'4" player hack everyone death, a free throw disparity of 4 to 1  and Brad Underwood pulling a choke job in the last 8 minutes. While the other would involve modern day basketball both offensively and defensively.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall a decent coach leaving the ACC, BIG 12 and or SEC for the Big Ten in the last two decades. Maybe there was 1 but I think that proves my point. If some says Brad Underwood may god have mercy on your soul.

Lastly, the Big Ten is not place where NBA talent guards and the best NCAA coaches want to go. If we fire Mike Woodson most likely we will end up with another unproven coach from a mid-major conference. Does that mean we should want Woodson? No, it doesn't but in my opinion the issue will always be roster construction with any coach we hire until the BIG decides not to play bully ball. Change should occur but the type of change we desire for Indiana Basketball will always be limited by the Big Ten. 

No lies spoken…

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Beilein left WVU for UM. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Underwood left the B12 for Illinois and Willard left the Big East for Maryland. On the flip side, a coach rarely willingly leaves the Big Ten for any of those conferences either. Only one I can think of recently is Shrews leaving PSU to ND - which I think had almost all to do with lack of support at PSU and ties to Indiana.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Woodson was asked just yesterday why he doesnt play more 4 around 1. When analytics shows IU is better. He said the analytics dont matter because the data is from short stretches and HE has seen IU win playing with 2 bigs. Woodson said he wins with 2 BIGS.

Woodson will never change, even though he said he was glad TJD and Race were gone so he could play smaller. Zebras dont change their stripes.

That's not completely fair to Woodson, he has changed in the past.

Like when he was with the Knicks and won a lot of games playing a perimeter oriented scheme, and then the next year he changed to something more similar to what we see now and he got fired. 

See he's changed.... to play exactly how he plays now, even though it doesn't work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

It’s looking based on rumors flying elsewhere that Pearl might be the guy behind the scenes with a handshake agreement. Do you think there’s any traction to this and do you think he’s right the ship and stick long enough to get us semi back for 6-8 years?

No I don't. I think Woodson is back next year.

30 minutes ago, Indykev said:

lol.

Of all the stupid things that have been said, this may be the worst.

Is the team frustrated and Mike Woodson just oblivious?

Does honorable, leader of men Mike Woodson actually realize they are frustrated, and he's just lying to us?

Does the entire team and staff just care so little that having one of the worst seasons in the history of the program not frustrate them? 

I am sure someone can spin this to not be a big deal, but I'm really struggling to see how that isn't just a completely damning thing to admit from him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1