Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yuck to Cronin. I would be completely uninspired.

Pearl is not my top choice but I think he’d be a great hire. 

While I agree to an extent he would still be the best coach IU has had in at least 20 years. 

• Like 2

Pearl's name has come up before the Crean hire, the Archie hire and the Woody hire. 

I always assumed that the school thought there were instances he flirted too close to the line (regarding NCAA rules). But  I can't remember the details that surrounded narrative.

You do have to wonder if Pearl's a good enough candidate now, then why wasn't he the 3 previous times?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Pearl's name has come up before the Crean hire, the Archie hire and the Woody hire. 

I always assumed that the school thought there were instances he flirted too close to the line (regarding NCAA rules). But  I can't remember the details that surrounded narrative.

You do have to wonder if Pearl's a good enough candidate now, then why wasn't he the 3 previous times?

Would you have ever guessed IU would go after and hire Coach Cignetti? His boastful personality and intention alone is refreshing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Would you have ever guessed IU would go after and hire Coach Cignetti? His boastful personality and intention alone is refreshing.

To be clear, I'm not saying I agree or don't agree with their previous decision to not go after him. I'm just wondering out loud: what has changed?

Yeah. I love Cig. The football program needed a shot of confidence. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KDB said:

Who's your top choice?

I'm not completely sure, just not Pearl. Maybe I don't have a single top choice is more how I feel than anything, I think there are several guys that could be "the guy" and it is Dolson's job to identify the right one he can land if we make a move. 

To be really clear on Pearl though, my reasons aren't because I think he is shady or anything like that, I actually don't think he is shady and think he is a really good human being. I do think he'd be a great hire and don't have any reservations about him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Pearl had a 3 year show cause penalty for the stuff at Tennessee  and was suspended just 3 years ago for 2 games over the Chuck Person stuff... 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I think we all know the NCAA is a stupid organization and there is no rhyme or reason to when they do and don't punish, but in the scheme of crimes and morality Pearl shouldn't be concerning to anyone. He's a good man.

He got in trouble at UT because OSU and Aaron Craft reported him for a minor violation when Craft was on a recruiting trip, then Pearl panicked and lied about it. Not condoning lying at all, but if the worst thing he ever did was lie when being investigated I'm not concerned.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

The stuff Pearl did is now legal. Why would you hold that against somebody. It's not like we are talking about a Beard situation and please don't compare to Sampson either because he wasn't really fired over texts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

The stuff Pearl did is now legal. Why would you hold that against somebody. It's not like we are talking about a Beard situation and please don't compare to Sampson either because he wasn't really fired over texts. 

Right, nothing Bruce Pearl actually did registers as even a moral grey area.

If we are going to hold Pearl's association with Person against him, we should probably do the same to Woodson for his friendship with Zeke. Zeke is a worse person than Person, IMO. 

More Bruce Pearl info 

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It wasn't legal then, and that matters. The article I posted above gives insight into Pearl's integrity, even at the D2 level, and it's not pretty... 

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The Tennessee thing is as big a joke as bumper stickers.  The Chuck Person stuff...  like how did Noah Vonleh fall into Crean's lap?  You think any of these guys are 100% innocent?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i wouldn't bet on not losing out.  which game do you point to as a win?  would you agree he should be let go if we do that?

I think we win tonight, but if I’m wrong, and we lose out, then I couldn’t argue if he’s let go. Although, I still think it would be a mistake to let him go after only 3 seasons. Even though this season has been a disaster, I don’t think it’s wise to fire a coach for one off year. If we have a repeat next year, then yes.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

The rules changed.

• Like 1

FWIW, a month ago this writer was mentioning Wes Miller as a likely replacement for Woodson. If so, let's just convert basketball to a club sport.

The Bearcats are having more success than expected in their first year in the Big 12, and programs like Indiana, Ohio State, Louisville, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and anyone else who might be looking for a new head coach will certainly give him a call.

The Hoosiers, if they move on from Woodson, have the history, urgency, and financial situation to entice Miller to leave Cincinnati and come to the Big Ten.

https://collegesportswire.usatoday.com/lists/college-basketball-coaches-hot-seat-kenny-payne-juwan-howard-ohio-state-indiana/

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

More Bruce Pearl info 

It wasn't legal then, and that matters. The article I posted above gives insight into Pearl's integrity, even at the D2 level, and it's not pretty... 

Well, that one answers my question in regards to why IU steered clear for the last 3 searches. The Deon Thomas story is wild....I always knew IL fans hated him, but didn't know the details. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Oh no, Bruce Pearl once held a BBq for players and recruits.  It was an NCAA violation.  We can’t hire that guy!

🙄

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Should be black listed in my opinion

If you read all of the articles I cited, he's done a little bit more than that... 

• Like 1