Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

11 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

Probably a really good thing.  This roster is very bad.  Just hope we can get a coach that can recruit the portal and get shooters and makers.

No it isn't a good thing.  If we lose Walker, Johnson, Leal, Galloway, Gunn, Ware, Mgbako, and Banks that is 2/3 of the team.  Having to fill 8 positions out of the portal in year 4 is a recipe for another failed year.  That is the kind of turnover you do in year 1, not year 4.  "Hey coach, I know you want me to come play for you.  Can you tell me why most of your team is running from you?"

That looks like a sinking ship.  Good luck getting anybody here that is here for more than a payday.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Programs in meltdown mode. What a shame.

This could begin to look like the end of Miller's tenure. It was a mass exodus that were going to the transfer portal if he returned.... There are a hand full of players that would be nice to retain..... 

The clock is ticking.....

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I assume this would be Galloway?  

If true, it looks like he will complete his job here and move on. That will be painful to watch if it ends up happening. I know other players have left with one year to go, but he is like the heart of the team. IMO.

Dolson has a big decision to make and a short amount of time. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

If true, it looks like he will complete his job here and move on. That will be painful to watch if it ends up happening. I know other players have left with one year to go, but he is like the heart of the team. IMO.

Dolson has a big decision to make and a short amount of time. 

I would hope he brings kids into his office for exit interviews…at least with several key ones. If we are going to have a bare cupboard next year I’d rather move on and give the new coach time to recruit 2025…then wait another year. Move Woody upstairs…he can still be a face around the program for parents and mentor kids…but get a new coach with energy and passion to move this forward.

• Like 2

Kind of hinted at this yesterday with Galloway. Galloway really has two options now that he'll have an IU degree

1) Go be a star at a place like Indiana State 

2) Go be a 7th/8th man at a school that has legitimate NCAA championship aspirations.

Obviously the 3rd would be stick it out at Indiana, but who wants to play for this dumpster fire and be thrown under the bus by a staff who doesn't take an ounce of accountability?

But yes, I really don't see a need or reason for Galloway to stay unless Dolson cleans house. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I would hope he brings kids into his office for exit interviews…at least with several key ones. If we are going to have a bare cupboard next year I’d rather move on and give the new coach time to recruit 2025…then wait another year. Move Woody upstairs…he can still be a face around the program for parents and mentor kids…but get a new coach with energy and passion to move this forward.

You may be on to something.....Sad, but yeah. However, why would you want to be around the program when almost everyone wants you fired?

It's like forcing someone say, "love you" and not want to or mean it....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No it isn't a good thing.  If we lose Walker, Johnson, Leal, Galloway, Gunn, Ware, Mgbako, and Banks that is 2/3 of the team.  Having to fill 8 positions out of the portal in year 4 is a recipe for another failed year.  That is the kind of turnover you do in year 1, not year 4.  "Hey coach, I know you want me to come play for you.  Can you tell me why most of your team is running from you?"

That looks like a sinking ship.  Good luck getting anybody here that is here for more than a payday.  

I wasn't counting on Woodson to be the coach.  

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

It’s all good…people are raw right now…last season ended horribly and this year we never stood a chance. Just tired and we all deserve better but we roll out predictable hires with predictable results. I’d say the ncaa thread is fine but once you get into the coaching complaints thread it’s going to be especially dicey especially since you guys have your answer at Coach and enjoying your glory days…most successful run. A lot of raw nerves around here and for good reason.

I get it. I only post on these boards because you guys really do have informed posters, for the most part. Feels like there are a lot of actual IU grads on here, like some of the guys I know in real life. 

I don’t live and die with this stuff anymore, so I tend to look at these things more analytically than I did in my 20s and 30s.

The great thing is both programs are in one of the Have conferences, and not one of the Have Not conferences, so going and getting a proven coach should be easier than ever. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I get it. I only post on these boards because you guys really do have informed posters, for the most part. Feels like there are a lot of actual IU grads on here, like some of the guys I know in real life. 

I don’t live and die with this stuff anymore, so I tend to look at these things more analytically than I did in my 20s and 30s.

The great thing is both programs are in one of the Have conferences, and not one of the Have Not conferences, so going and getting a proven coach should be easier than ever. 

Yet here we are after 3 years, LOL

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Don't have to be a grad to be a huge fan. A lot of the biggest fans I know or knew never stepped foot on a college campus. I didn't go to Bloomington but IU East so does that make me less than a fan than someone that went to Bloomington 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

That's an interesting stat for Cupps. I do believe that he has a very low usage rate because he doesn't get used in the offense. He dribbles the ball up court, passes it and rarely gets it back. So, I'll concede. 

Regarding Trey, it depends on the role he's playing on a team. Put 2 shooters next to him and he's going create a lot mis-matches for the opponent. He'd find a LOT of minutes no matter the system. Find the right system and I believe he's a second or third team all Big Ten. But that's hypotheticals. 

I'm getting into the weed's though. The overall point is that WE HAVE TALENT. It's not put together nicely, but it's enough talent to be WAY more competitive. We're not dealing with a team of walk-ons here. Two players could make it to the NBA. A few more could be pros in Europe.

And we are sitting at the bottom of the B1G and are getting blown out by PSU. 

Yeah, I agree with your overall point that we should be way more competitive than this. Just didn’t necessarily agree that we had that many individual players performing at or above their “star ranking”.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

Yeah, I agree with your overall point that we should be way more competitive than this. Just didn’t necessarily agree that we had that many individual players performing at or above their “star ranking”.

Regardless of what ratings we give to individuals, I think it's safe to say that everyone agrees that the whole is coming out to be a lot less than the sum of the pieces.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

i guess its our fault they suck. yes its the fans, who give their money to guys like this. its the POS fans that make this team the worst team in the Big Ten. Stop giving NIL money to a losing cause until it changes. Football only NIL is up 500%.

You sure he's talking about the fans? There have been critics in the media and Woodson has been critical as well. I thought he was talking about Woodson when I 1st read it. What do others think?