Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

4 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Thanks! Yea I automatically assume anyone that isn’t cracking the top 7-8 in a rotation wants to go elsewhere. 

As it stands, do you think Reneau stays? At least on the surface it looks Liam is. Very surprised but happy to hear about Mac. Chris on BTB said his family wants him to go pro next year regardless of draft status. A front court of Queen, Reneau, Mac, and Liam sounds really good! Keep Gallo, add maybe one of Davis or Brown Jr and I think you wouldn’t need to add a ton of extra pieces in the portal (assuming guys like Newton, Cupps, Sparks, and Leal want to stay as depth pieces). 

Eh, I disagree in a big way. Liam and a portal PG alone isn’t fixing our issues. I’d like to see at least one true PG (1) come in, another CG (1/2) that can play PG and can shoot it, another wing (2/3), and a guy that’s a lengthy rim protector similar to Ware. I know that’s a tremendous ask, but we’re going to need 4-5 guys if we want to be better than this year . Plodding out a portal PG/Cupps, Gallo, MM, Liam, and Reneau won’t cut it. I’ll be truly disappointed and frustrated if that’s our starting five next year. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Eh, I disagree in a big way. Liam and a portal PG alone isn’t fixing our issues. I’d like to see at least one true PG (1) come in, another CG (1/2) that can play PG and can shoot it, another wing (2/3), and a guy that’s a lengthy rim protector similar to Ware. I know that’s a tremendous ask, but we’re going to need 4-5 guys if we want to be better than this year . Plodding out a portal PG/Cupps, Gallo, MM, Liam, and Reneau won’t cut it. I’ll be truly disappointed and frustrated if that’s our starting five next year. 

Oh I completely agree on the evaluation and trying to add those pieces. To clarify, I’m not saying Gallo or Cupps should start lol. I would like to get a proven perimeter scorer at the 2 and would be happy adding Brown Jr or Davis (would still like a proven PG from the portal to start but tbh getting to a point where “beggars can’t be choosers” with only 1 kid signed for next year). I personally think MR/MM/LM/Portal SG/ Brown Jr or Davis starting could compete for a conference title. 

Best of luck with our staff grabbing all those portal pieces though lmao. They have little to no film for guards to get excited about. I can’t really see them landing 5+ impact players unless a couple of them are high school decommits or mid major guys looking for money and exposure. This isn’t a Duke or Kansas where you can sell a kid on being patient and learn/develop for a season and then be given a chance to start and shine. 

• Like 2

I don’t know. I guess whoever is the coach next year or who the players are, I’ll root for IU. I feel the same frustration as many but I will still pull for the team I’ve supported for years. I think next year could go either way whether Woody is here or not. There will potentially be some pieces that could be pretty good. It is obviously a guard’s game and that is the area in which the most improvement is essential. Hopefully we will see some personnel improvements and some scheme changes that will help. Go IU!!!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

They need 1-2 more bigs for next season just for roster construction reasons

Reminder to everyone, Walker is a super senior and Ware is a one year rental.  Get Queen if we can and a dude a little bigger and stronger than Walker.  And maybe Sparks can shed 10% of his body fat too.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ledies22 said:

The guys “right” about Woodson, won’t admit they wanted Holtman during the Archie cycle. 

As someone who watched nearly all of his games at Butler I’m a fan of Holtmann. Things got stale at OSU but he is a good coach. Not saying I want him at IU now but he is a better college basketball coach than Woodson is right now. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

Not a troll. 

OSU just fired a guy who from 2014-2022 had (8) 20 win seasons. IU hasn't done that since RMK.

Lol, who cares what a guy did before he got to a school? IU fired a guy who had (6) 20 win seasons, including (3) 25 win seasons from 2014-2020.

14 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

As someone who watched nearly all of his games at Butler I’m a fan of Holtmann. Things got stale at OSU but he is a good coach. Not saying I want him at IU now but he is a better college basketball coach than Woodson is right now. 

Never been sold on Holtmann and didn’t want him at IU. Remember going to watch one of his Butler teams and sat there and told my buddy I don’t get it. Everyone says what a good coach he is and I don’t see it. Definitely hit his ceiling at OSU. 

Was told by someone who played for Holtmann that this player didn’t have a lot of respect for him as a coach. Holtmann would have his assistants have the tough conversations with players instead of doing it himself. My take is it sounded like he didn’t like confrontation or tough conversations. Definitely not a guy to be a leader of a big time program. But a good human. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

well, game day... around 5pm this thread will either shut the site down with too much activity due to losing at home to NW or get a short break?

I wouldn't be shocked if the response is muted either way.  I don't think these last few games do much to move the needle for most people one way or the other on their opinion.  Everything important about this program going forward is going to happen in the offseason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

well, game day... around 5pm this thread will either shut the site down with too much activity due to losing at home to NW or get a short break?

Well it doesn’t hurt that Schertz and ISU have been laying eggs against massively inferior opponents and is coaching ISU out of the tournament, Pearl got ran out of his own gym by UK, and Beard and ol miss is also on the bubble. So woody isn’t alone in underperforming lately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if the response is muted either way.  I don't think these last few games do much to move the needle for most people one way or the other on their opinion.  Everything important about this program going forward is going to happen in the offseason.

i actually hope you're right.  that's my point on here a lot of times.  we are all entitled to our opinion, but it cracks me up with the crowd who after a home win vs an average team gets convinced all will be fine, then the same people lose their minds when we lose the next game.  i really hope we win today, but doesn't mean a whole lot either way.  unfortunately a loss at home to NW means more than a win would in my opinion.  

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well it doesn’t hurt that Schertz and ISU have been laying eggs against massively inferior opponents and is coaching ISU out of the tournament, Pearl got ran out of his own gym by UK, and Beard and ol miss is also on the bubble. So woody isn’t alone in underperforming lately.

C college basketball is crazy.   Auburn beat the #12 team by like 41 earlier in the week.  And Kentucky has been unraveling losing like 4 out of 5.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

C college basketball is crazy.   Auburn beat the #12 team by like 41 earlier in the week.  And Kentucky has been unraveling losing like 4 out of 5.  

it is crazy.  what gets me is how many losses even the teams ranked in the top 10 have these days.  i think most of us agree that that isn't the only issue with IU bball.  it's the product we see.  also teams like ISU, Auburn, etc didn't used to be mentioned in the same sentence as IU bball.  while they may be sputtering a little right now, they are tournament bound and we are not.  

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it is crazy.  what gets me is how many losses even the teams ranked in the top 10 have these days.  i think most of us agree that that isn't the only issue with IU bball.  it's the product we see.  also teams like ISU, Auburn, etc didn't used to be mentioned in the same sentence as IU bball.  while they may be sputtering a little right now, they are tournament bound and we are not.  

The portal is turning all the programs into NBA G League teams.  Every year is a cobbled together squad where even the most talented teams will struggle from time to time because they don't have that actual growth together that teams had in the past.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The portal is turning all the programs into NBA G League teams.  Every year is a cobbled together squad where even the most talented teams will struggle from time to time because they don't have that actual growth together that teams had in the past.

absolutely.  i hate it, but it is what it is.  that's why i hate the excuse that we're young or we have a bunch of new guys.  it's the same for almost all programs.  it's the new college game.  we shouldn't suffer from it.  we have enough $ and a big enough name that we should flourish with it compared to a lot of teams, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think it's going to move even more in that direction. 

Adam Silver was saying earlier this week that with NIL the G-League Ignite thing is basically failing and they're exploring what to do with that. 

He said they're talking with the NCAA on how to improve l things, etc.  

I could see the Power 5/6 at some point breaking away from the NCAA and becoming part of some sort of true NBA-affiliated feeder system.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, IndyHoosier said:

Lots of hypotheticals are including guys who won’t be back.

Ware - NBA

MM - Transfer or NBA

Malik - Lexington, Knoxville, or Birmingham

Gallo - Transfer

Banks - Transfer

Gunn - Transfer

Newton - Transfer

Sparks - Not asked Back

I don’t buy this projection at all 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yep…May now getting blown out by South Florida…so it seems everyone but Painter and Hurley sucks lol…they are the only two who have won consistently.

College basketball is just hard to get teenagers to focus and play great consistently night in and out. Plus add in all the super Covid seniors and young teams can struggle to go on the road and win.