Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's the fans fault.

it's possible i guess.  maybe we should all just believe and only post in the no negatives thread?  if we just post encouraging things to the players and coaches and not think bad thoughts it could be the difference?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it's possible i guess.  maybe we should all just believe and only post in the no negatives thread?  if we just post encouraging things to the players and coaches and not think bad thoughts it could be the difference?

To me the fans on the message boards aren't the ones who can be a probably. It are the ones that actually tweet players and coaches. If true a fan tweeted Woodson's daughter and used some bad language that shouldn't be used.

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Like you said earlier: it’s not the losses, it’s how we are losing.

An acceptable progression of results for a new coach we have almost universally agreed upon in the past was…

Year 1 - Lose big

Year 2 - lose small (but be competitive)

Year 3 - win small

Year 4 - win big

Woody has really shuffled the deck with this theory. And you’d think he’d have an advantage with the transfer portal. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

They should stop showing up and stop saying anything on line and see how it goes.  Drop that monetary support and that huge online presence down towards the bottom of the Big Ten (where the team actually performs) and then they will have all the breathing room to go out and do better without those insufferable fans holding the program back.

Tongue firmly in cheek if that wasn't apparent.  The only thing "elite" about Indiana anymore is the fan support.  Our sh** administration should all be hung out to dry.  People going after the coach anymore are misplacing their anger.  Dolson hired him.  Buckner likely pushed him to the front of the line.  You want change at IU, start going after the good old boy network that runs the school.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They should stop showing up and stop saying anything on line and see how it goes.  Drop that monetary support and that huge online presence down towards the bottom of the Big Ten (where the team actually performs) and then they will have all the breathing room to go out and do better without those insufferable fans holding the program back.

Tongue firmly in cheek if that wasn't apparent.  The only thing "elite" about Indiana anymore is the fan support.  Our sh** administration should all be hung out to dry.  People going after the coach anymore are misplacing their anger.  Dolson hired him.  Buckner likely pushed him to the front of the line.  You want change at IU, start going after the good old boy network that runs the school.

Right on schedule.  I suggest that fans start taking all of this "you are too invested" talk to heart the next time one of those 812-855-xxxx numbers shows up on your caller ID asking for money.  "Man, I would really like to but I am told that I care about this too much.  I don't spend money on things I don't care about so I am going to have to cut you off so that my not caring can get us some wins.  Good luck though.  I am pulling for you in as indifferent a way as I can muster."

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Right on schedule.  I suggest that fans start taking all of this "you are too invested" talk to heart the next time one of those 812-855-xxxx numbers shows up on your caller ID asking for money.  "Man, I would really like to but I am told that I care about this too much.  I don't spend money on things I don't care about so I am going to have to cut you off so that my not caring can get us some wins.  Good luck though.  I am pulling for you in as indifferent a way as I can muster."

i don't even understand.  who is that dude?  and does he mean if none of the fans care that our program will find glory?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't even understand.  who is that dude?  and does he mean if none of the fans care that our program will find glory?  

Podcaster.  Leading edge of the the soon to become louder chorus of, "Indiana fans are terrible and just expect too much and hurt the program" chorus we are going to hear again.

It won't happen right away but man I would love for people like this to get exactly what they want.  NIL and donations dry up, nobody supporting their podcasts, 4000 people at games, nobody talking IU basketball online.  3 years of that and they would be pissed that there is no one there supporting the boys anymore.

I stopped giving to Indiana a long time ago.  They are poor stewards of the investment.  When all these middle aged fans start making that switch, all the people that suck at the teat of IU basketball fan support will have to go and get real jobs.  Then they can tell me how bad all that fan investment was.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Smug, smart guys on Twitter are the best. They are so great, they can’t even handle their own awesomeness. I think he should run the program. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

^^^ So what is the difference?  Would Woodson do a better job if he had less talent?  I really don't think so.

Coaching and culture...which is part of coaching.  People don't like Dakich and he is a dick, but he has had this pegged for a few years now.  How much money do you think Xavier Johnson made this year?  Ware?  Reneau?  Outside of Edey I bet you that Indiana probably has the next 5 or 6 guys earning wise between these two teams.  The NBA is the desired destination and they still get paid and treated like rock stars.  Wins are kind of meh.  Nice to have but nothing goes worse for our players if they don't win.  They are treated among the best in the country.  Pampered, silver spoon players who aren't forced to push.  They get really nice participation trophies no matter what.

Same with the staff.  

(I am annoyed this morning if you can't tell)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Unfortunately, they may be much closer than they realize to getting their wish.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Once again. Stop giving money to Indiana basketball. Dolson only responds to lost revenue. 

I can't lower my donation any lower than it has been for over a decade.  I even stopped buying the IU license plate with its paltry $25 donation to the school.

19 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I view this board multiple times per day. Post every so often a pun or recruiting update. Lucky enough to have ticket connections. Been a fan for most of my life.

i said it the first time I went to a game this year (Army). No one talks on defense, and that hasn’t changed into February. That’s a problem…

I’m optimistic bc I’m tired of being pissy and grumbling about stuff I don’t control.  I’m having a very difficult time picturing our roster being better next year…what quality guard would want to come here? Besides JHS, most other guards have gotten worse or stayed the same. I think if we see a Knecht type player in the portal, maybe we’ll do everything in our power to get them to visit. 

Players 9-12 are unplayable. Walker and Banks do the same. So that addition was weird. Sparks wants to be here…great! Doesn’t fit though…

not that it matters, but I’ve always been a give a guy 4 years. Said it with Archie, give em a chance to have a full cycle of recruits, etc.  woody gets next year, but if the roster isn’t better, back to square 1.

if that’s the case…go get Beard. He wins. Worried about his past? He paid his dues. This fan base craves WINNING. Nothing else. IMO Dusty May has 0 relevance to IU unless you’re over the age of 35. Todays players? Don’t care. The “try an IU guy” is unfolding right before us. And it’s been good, 2 tournaments, draft picks, etc.  but it’ll be time to pony up more $$$ to get a 15-20 year guy.

rant over. Still thankful for the site, and our team. 

Galloway is playing far better than in past years. Kopp improved, at least on defense quite a lot. I would say MM, though still not living up to his ranking is playing a lot better than at the start of the year. Even Gunn is much better. The only guy I see that hasn't improved under Woody is X. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Galloway is playing far better than in past years. Kopp improved, at least on defense quite a lot. I would say MM, though still not living up to his ranking is playing a lot better than at the start of the year. Even Gunn is much better. The only guy I see that hasn't improved under Woody is X. 

i would hope all payers improve at least a little every year under any coach.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I can't lower my donation any lower than it has been for over a decade.  I even stopped buying the IU license plate with its paltry $25 donation to the school.

I've never donated to the school I went to, I did that when I paid tuition.  

My question is, why do people donate to universities?  IU has a multi billion dollar endowment and charges a tuition most hoosiers I know can't afford. 

• Like 2

The whole discussion about the fan base being the problem for IU just drives me crazy.  It hasnt  missed a shot or made a turnover ever.  I think the fan base is the one thing that has been good the last 20 years.  Without it, we are DePaul right now. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Threedom said:

The whole discussion about the fan base being the problem for IU just drives me crazy.  It hasnt  missed a shot or made a turnover ever.  I think the fan base is the one thing that has been good the last 20 years.  Without it, we are DePaul right now. 

"You tell me, how many long jumpers did HoosierDom take? How many times did he stand there and watch the other team miss with no thought at all about boxing out? How many times did he take his best player out with 2 fouls and refuse to bring him back in, no matter how bad things got?"

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've never donated to the school I went to, I did that when I paid tuition.  

My question is, why do people donate to universities?  IU has a multi billion dollar endowment and charges a tuition most hoosiers I know can't afford. 

I get people who do it because they want tickets. I sort of get people who want to sit in the locker room with coach and smoke cigars (though, I don't really get why that's so appealing - I understand that some would). I don't get people who are so connected to a school that they want to give money other than those personal befits. I like IU, but if I give them money, they will spend it to climb in the rankings (academic or athletic, it's all the same). Quite frankly, I don't care about that. If IU rises, someone else falls and the world is no better. It makes no sense.

• Like 1