Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Seems to be one at North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas.  It could and should be here too.

Yeah...

There's a difference between those schools and IU, especially in the pre-NIL era...

We didn't manufacture classes and grades for our basketball players...

We didn't usher a players parents into a new home that was well over a price that they could afford...

And Kansas and Kentucky...Too much to even go into...

That's what separated us from the schools you mentioned...we won with integrity... 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Fair enough.  He also has led us to a NET and Kenpom rating lower than his most recent predecessors except the guy who took over when the University gave itself the death penalty.  Also facts.

It hasn't gone well this year.  It hasn't gone well because Woody failed to address the things that every idiot IU fan on message boards and Twitter recognized as their glaring issues since Woodson got here.  And now we are in the middle of what appears to be a stinker of a season because the only people who apparently couldn't see the problem are the experienced NBA coach and his staff making combined millions of dollars.  

He will get another year but it really sucks to have to have a 65 year old "figure out" what a bunch of moron fans have known for 3 years.

Season's not over yet, but just like last year, people are shoveling dirt on us...Let's see where we are at the end of the year how about?

Your second paragraph, I assume you're talking about shooting? At the risk of repeating myself, and this is the last time I'll do so, I think Mike Woodson is guilty of one thing...Loyalty to his kids...He counted on X and Galloway to provide leadership and outside shooting (Galloway DID shoot 46% last year from 3, and X 37%). So far, the young frontcourt has pretty much held up their end of the bargain...And hopefully Trey Galloway can continue the leadership he showed in the 2nd half of the OSU game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Season's not over yet, but just like last year, people are shoveling dirt on us...Let's see where we are at the end of the year how about?

Your second paragraph, I assume you're talking about shooting? At the risk of repeating myself, and this is the last time I'll do so, I think Mike Woodson is guilty of one thing...Loyalty to his kids...He counted on X and Galloway to provide leadership and outside shooting (Galloway DID shoot 46% last year from 3, and X 37%). So far, the young frontcourt has pretty much held up their end of the bargain...And hopefully Trey Galloway can continue the leadership he showed in the 2nd half of the OSU game.

You have an excuse for everything. 

• Like 4

I’m still in the camp that say we need to make a change. I’m expecting to see a solid win by the “school up North” tonight. A win would be on my wish list, but after what I’ve seen this season so far, I’ll be fairly satisfied with a strong effort, reasonably low turnovers, reasonable substitutions, NO flagrant fouls or technicals, and a feeling that we are in striking distance for most, if not all of the game. Besides a Dub, also on my wish list would be a Free Throw percentage over 75%, and not getting beat at the line 3-1 or worse. Many of these items are reflective of good coaching. 
Having said that, if the Hoosiers go in and get the win, and play a great game with a great game plan, that could move the needle for me, BUT, long term, I still feel that I have enough evidence to be confident that this is not “the guy.”

I’m smart enough to realize that they may keep CMW another year or two, giving him the benefit of the doubt to have “one bad season.” 
AND, there’s always the question of who do you hire? Who would be better? 
Although tonight’s game is not a referendum on the coaching situation, it would be nice to see this team do something to build on a historic 2nd half comeback. I still have a spark of hope that they could begin playing to their full potential. That is what my heart says.

My head says things are probably not going to work out that way. Things have been on a downward trend this season, and there is not much showing that next year will be different. I guess the question becomes, if we finish, let’s say, 15-17, and make no move, are we willing to be in this same position this time next year? I don’t have all the answers, but I don’t necessarily see the logic in that, unless we get no interest from any potential candidates thru the back channels. We will see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I know the season isn't over but the clock is ticking.  Someone posted earlier this week that we are currently on the outside looking in of the NIT conversation.  Time is running out.  I think our NCAA hopes are dead if we don't win tonight.  We still have tonight though so it isn't out of the question.

We all knew we need guard play.  That isn't just shooting.  It is handling and dribbling penetration as well.  Yeah, he was grade A stupid putting the hands of the program solely at the feet of Xavier Johnson.  You can go back this summer and find all sorts of hot takes from all sorts of people saying we needed to get more guard depth.  He left a scholarship on the table and brought in a bunch of forwards.  Those are the types of decisions that get guys fired at just about every level. 

It was a dumb move.  He is going to get another year because of the Indiana ties but the seat is going to be on fire if this year ends on the current trajectory and the first few games next year look anything like the past 3.  I hope he figures it out because I am beyond tired of hot takes like, "Purdue is the old Indiana you used to like" and "Indiana is like the 4th best team in the state."  The way this program has been run into the ground the past 24 years should be a cautionary tale on how to destroy your brand.

One more decade of mediocrity and the program is starting all over from square one.  We are about there now.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

On 2/8/2024 at 11:58 PM, Indykev said:

All we have left as IU fans is hope. I said before the season started 15-18 wins. If I being as dumb as i am, could see it coming, why didn't a guy making $4.2 million and an AD i'm guessing making more, couldnt.

I thought 20 wins…but I thought we would struggle to bring in so many new faces and get them to play together as a team. Thought we would round into form and make tournament late….still have a shot but it’s super long shot…not looking good.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I thought 20 wins…but I thought we would struggle to bring in so many new faces and get them to play together as a team. Thought we would round into form and make tournament late….still have a shot but it’s super long shot…not looking good.

i feel like the bringing in all the new faces thing is common in college bball, right?  it is definitely a challenge to get them to mesh quickly as you will only have some of them for a year or two.  i mean we did have XJ, Galloway, and Reneau returning.  then we brought in a 5 star recruit and a former 5 star recruit.  i think what he's referring to is shooting in general.  or overall guard play?  15-18 wins is just not good enough for Indiana.  not making the tourney is not good enough.  and then the question - what gives us hope that next season will be better?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

being in bball purgatory sucks, but if we are here for 3-5 more years...ugh.  i am hopeful next year will be the limit.  

My disclaimer was if we turn things around and we have a good year next year…so we’ll see. If not, next year will probably be his last, but I’m hoping it’s the opposite.

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

15-18 wins is just not good enough for Indiana.  not making the tourney is not good enough.  and then the question - what gives us hope that next season will be better?

We all want to return to "the glory days". But those were 20 years ago. In the 13 years before Woodson we went to 4 tournaments. FOUR. He takes the teams to the tournament in both his first two seasons. Could we have used guard help this season? Yes. Did we not get it because Woodson is stupid or lazy? I don't think so. Like @IUFLA said earlier, I think his mistake was loyalty to the current players (X, Galloway and Gunn) in that he probably wouldn't guarantee starting roles to potential transfer guards. 

P.S. Seems we are all telling our age to qualify our posts. I'm 50

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

My disclaimer was if we turn things around and we have a good year next year…so we’ll see. If not, next year will probably be his last, but I’m hoping it’s the opposite.

yeah, i mean it would be awesome if we won tonight, finished on a tear, made the tourney, and won a couple rounds.  then Ware, Mtaco, Reneau stay, Liam comes in and meets all of our expectations, and we get a couple really solid guard transfers.  if we do all of that and Woodson is the guy to lead us to where we want to be... that would be incredible!  in the real world, i can't imagine much of that at all.  i will start cheering for it tonight though!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

We all want to return to "the glory days". But those were 20 years ago. In the 13 years before Woodson we went to 4 tournaments. FOUR. He takes the teams to the tournament in both his first two seasons. Could we have used guard help this season? Yes. Did we not get it because Woodson is stupid or lazy? I don't think so. Like @IUFLA said earlier, I think his mistake was loyalty to the current players (X, Galloway and Gunn) in that he probably wouldn't guarantee starting roles to potential transfer guards. 

P.S. Seems we are all telling our age to qualify our posts. I'm 50

At the beginning of the summer, we had 6 guards...

XJ

Galloway

Leal

Gunn 

Cupps 

Newton 

Newton wasn't out until August as reported by @ledies22

And I'm sure you're correct in stating that Woody wasn't going to make promises on starting or playing time...

We have to face facts that between XJ's lack of maturity and injury, it's put us in a bind...

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, DWB said:

Just FYI for all you "youngsters" out there (under 45) thinking 65 is on a final approach to a funeral, I'll wager Woody (and the rest of us on this board 65+) are just as sharp mentally as any of you. Woody has at least 10 more years if he wants it. I doubt if he wants to coach that long, but he certainly could.

16 hours ago, Indykev said:

i'm 56 and no he doesnt, he has maybe one more. 😉

4 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I’m 70 and I say he coaches another 3-5 years, if things get better next year.

I'm 58 and I poured orange juice in my cereal this morning.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, DWB said:

Just FYI for all you "youngsters" out there (under 45) thinking 65 is on a final approach to a funeral, I'll wager Woody (and the rest of us on this board 65+) are just as sharp mentally as any of you. Woody has at least 10 more years if he wants it. I doubt if he wants to coach that long, but he certainly could.

There’s a difference between being mentally sharp and being willing to do the grind that’s required to be a successful college coach.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

XJ

Galloway

Leal

Gunn 

Cupps 

Newton 

And I'm sure you're correct in stating that Woody wasn't going to make promises on starting or playing time...

We have to face facts that between XJ's lack of maturity and injury, it's put us in a bind...

I get your point, but even before the season our guards looked like a weakness, albeit I didn’t expect it to be this bad. Bates was our best bench guard last year, and he left. We were relying on big jumps from Banks and Gunn them despite both having bad freshmen years. Cupps and Newton weren’t very highly rated recruits, and Newton missed significant time from injury in HS - so I always assumed he would take time to catch up developmentally. It was tough to imagine relying on either of them too much. Even XJ was coming off a major injury and had been inconsistent before that.

XJ being as bad as he’s been when healthy wasn’t something I expected, but the rest of our guards aren’t too far off what I could’ve reasonably expected coming into the year. Having one player play poorly from expectations shouldn’t be something that tanks a season. We really needed Walker’s equivalent but as a guard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

XJ

Galloway

Leal

Gunn 

Cupps 

Newton 

This is yet again, another excuse. The majority of us on here knew we didn’t do what was necessary in the offseason. A fully healthy, more mature XJ does very little to change the narrative this year. And if that one thing is what changed the entire narrative, then it proves my point. Woody put all of his eggs in the basket of a guy that was coming off an injury, and has never been able to control his emotions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Starting guards, or guard depth? 

Definitely the depth, but even the starters. A guy coming off a major injury and had been inconsistent in XJ and Galloway who’s always been a role player was expected to step up into a lead role. There were big questions with both.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm 58 and I poured orange juice in my cereal this morning.  

Nice! My freshman year of college I only had enough money for beer or milk…..needless to say I used to pour beer on my corn flakes….actually it was pretty good for my hangover….thank God for Raman…would have never survived…lucky for me I wised up…got a job and focused on my studies after Freshsmn year lol.

• Haha 1

Galloway in a perfect world would be 6th man of the year. Perfect spark plug off the bench…come in guard the guy that heats up…keep the momentum rolling with the second unit or flip the game script if we get off to a slow start. As starter…and primary scoring option….he gets too much attention on offense..,expends too much energy especially chasing guys at the defensive end for 35 minutes a game and we’ve seen his 3pt shot go into the toilet…love the kid….Hoosier through and through but his perfect role is off the bench.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 4