Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, IU Scott said:

Purdue did that with Painter during Keady's last season. Painter finished his first year at S. Illinois and then went to Purdue as the coach in waiting 

But Painter was a Purdue guy (former player). Who is the former IU player who is now coaching somewhere that would do that? Lewis?

9 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

It just sounds so much more attractive than what we do! 😂

fair enough. I just remember some of the Crean teams, or was it Sampson, where it was live and die by the 3 and I didnt really like having all hopes of winning a game based on "are we going to be on or off tonight"

• Like 2

Just now, ledies22 said:

fair enough. I just remember some of the Crean teams, or was it Sampson, where it was live and die by the 3 and I didnt really like having all hopes of winning a game based on "are we going to be on or off tonight"

Needs to be a healthy balance, but can’t live or die by either style. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

But Painter was a Purdue guy (former player). Who is the former IU player who is now coaching somewhere that would do that? Lewis?

It can can't hurt to explore it.  There could be a non IU guy who would be willing to wait to coach IU and make $$$.  Since you mentioned him Shertz makes 365K.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Better than ride or die by turnovers and or rebounds at least from an atheistic standpoint. 

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Purdue did that with Painter during Keady's last season. Painter finished his first year at S. Illinois and then went to Purdue as the coach in waiting 

Yeah, I think that's the only scenario where that could even be an option. Former assistant who became a mid major coach and comes back for one year as heir apparent. Keady and Painter had a long history. There's no one from IU who meets that criteria since Woodson doesn't have a coaching tree. 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, I think that's the only scenario where that could even be an option. Former assistant who became a mid major coach and comes back for one year as heir apparent. Keady and Painter had a long history. There's no one from IU who meets that criteria since Woodson doesn't have a coaching tree. 

Didn’t Woody run off the heir apparent already?? I think you just throw it all out the window…if you want a new coach you go get the best one you can…money and optics be damned. If you want Woody to move upstairs as President of Basketball operations so be it…but no half hearted measures.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Didn’t Woody run off the heir apparent already?? I think you just throw it all out the window…if you want a new coach you go get the best one you can…money and optics be damned. If you want Woody to move upstairs as President of Basketball operations so be it…but no half hearted measures.

I'm pretty sure the "Fife was the heir apparent" narrative was only a concocted wish by some fans. Maybe Fife also thought it but obviously Woodson didn't. That scenario only works if Dolson, Woodson, and the next guy are 100% aligned on the plan.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I'm pretty sure the "Fife was the heir apparent" narrative was only a concocted wish by some fans. Maybe Fife also thought it but obviously Woodson didn't. That scenario only works if Dolson, Woodson, and the next guy are 100% aligned on the plan.

So no arraigned marriages. They’ll have to go out on a few dates to make sure they can work together. Lol 

Another challenge is that Woody really doesn't have pre-existing relationships with any candidates who would be a coach in waiting. The whole ‘coach in waiting’ thing seems like a crapshoot, imo.

1 hour ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I don’t think it was conceived by fans. I see no connection between Woodson and Fife other than it was forced on him by administration. That’s why Woody was so quick to have him move on. I have a hard time imagining Fife was not picked by Admin as the heir apparent for Woody. Else why else does Fife even come and why else the falling out. I don’t want to see that sort of thing again …just move on or stick with what you have. No half measures.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Why Shrewsberry?  What has done outside of one decent season at PSU?

There’s lots of reasons. He’s an ELITE offensive mind, he’s a great recruiter, he loves Indiana and grew up an IU fan, and he’s spent time on coaching staffs with great coaches. Screw the “resume” stuff. He would kill it at IU with his in state connections and kids want to play in his offense. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I have a hard time imagining Fife was not picked by Admin as the heir apparent for Woody. Else why else does Fife even come and why else the falling out.

Why else bring him? An assistant coach who is familiar with the state (recruiting) and the conference plus a former IU player. Feels like a good assistant hire.

Why else did he come? Coach at the school he loves with the potential (didn't even have to be mentioned) of it growing into something more over time.

Why the falling out? Only he and Woody know but obviously they didn't mesh.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There’s lots of reasons. He’s an ELITE offensive mind, he’s a great recruiter, he loves Indiana and grew up an IU fan, and he’s spent time on coaching staffs with great coaches. Screw the “resume” stuff. He would kill it at IU with his in state connections and kids want to play in his offense. 

Agree a lot to like, but what a leap of faith, with his current record at ND

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He was fantastic at Penn State, and Bray pretty much tanked ND basketball in his last year, so they’re basically a full on ground up rebuild. They have 4 freshman and 3 sophomores in their top 8 players in terms of minutes. I’m pretty sure ND has actually improved on their preseason kenpom ranking, which just shows how little they had coming into the year.

17 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not really. Everyone knew this year was going to be bad with the way Brey left things at ND. He's playing young guys and bringing in a good recruiting class. As the season has gone on ND has been in more games they just don't have the fire power. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Wasn't Archie as qualified as they come, record-wise? He won 74% of his games his last 4 seasons at Dayton.. 4 NCAAs, 2 Reg season championships in the A-10, another 2nd place finish.... along with 1 E8 season, 1 Sw 16 season, Lost to Syracuse in the first rd, lost to Wichita St first rd... in close games...

I feel that is a very good resume... record-wise. 

Just as a quick example.. that resume would have been better than the resume Jay Wright had when he was hired by Nova, he hadn't won an NCAAT game before being hired at Nova, and actually, in the two tourney games at Hofstra he had... they were waxed in them. 

Edited by btownqb

On 2/7/2024 at 1:39 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

Purdue was notoriously cheep in hiring coaches & paying assistants 

MP flirted with Mizzou to change that 

Both schools have BTN 💰 

no excuses 

On 2/7/2024 at 1:39 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

Technically, he has a small coaching tree, but no one from IU.  For instance, Darrell Walker, who was on his staff with the Knicks, is currently the head coach Arkansas-Little Rock.

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

TJD chiming in...

I agree with that if I don't feel like the guy in charge only had a 7 to 10 year shelf life to begin with.  You can stomach a year 3 hiccup for a 45 year old, it is harder with a 65 year old.  One guy has time to grow and the other was supposed to be a finished product.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No.  

I also don't know what advantage we have over UCONN. 

Have you ever been to Storrs? I lived near by for 2 years and worked with Ricky Moores dad Buck on the PGA Tour. Ricky who was their starting point guard, got me tickets to every home game when i was off in 99' when they won the NCAA tournament.. Put a major college in Brownstown and you have Storrs. lol. If you play 99% of your home games 40 mins from your campus some might not care for that. But Hurley isnt going anywhere. IU is below UCONN at this point, thanks to administrators.