Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

25 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That line about 10 new players galls me. @5fouls has broken down numerous times why that number is not the most accurate because of walk ons. The most galling thing about that statement though is that it’s likely that we are in the same boat next year with new players. Are we going to be 19 games into next season still trying to figure crap out?  

and the fact that this is the new college game anyway?  aren't most teams brand new every year for the most part?

• Like 4

oh wow.  this seems early, but i totally agree.  i don't think there's any way it happens, but i would have assumed if i started this thread that a certain regime would come hard at me!  i am very curious to hear how many think it should happen and how many think it won't happen.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That line about 10 new players galls me. @5fouls has broken down numerous times why that number is not the most accurate because of walk ons. The most galling thing about that statement though is that it’s likely that we are in the same boat next year with new players. Are we going to be 19 games into next season still trying to figure crap out?  

Very good point! 

• Like 1

This was just a terrible experiment from the beginning. The big mistake was trying to pacify those that wanted an "IU guy" .  At the time it seemed like an obvious reach and a desperation hire. I think it's far enough in to see that it was a major miss. But that hire has put them into such a bad place. Can you really fire him? The IU alum. The guy that Buckner seemingly hand picked?  I don't think that happens. Maybe if the remainder of the season just falls apart, even worse than what it has to this point. Best case is probably that they can convince Woodson it's time for him to "retire". That might be enough to somewhat save face for all parties.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Basketball Junkie said:

This was just a terrible experiment from the beginning. The big mistake was trying to pacify those that wanted an "IU guy" .  At the time it seemed like an obvious reach and a desperation hire. I think it's far enough in to see that it was a major miss. But that hire has put them into such a bad place. Can you really fire him? The IU alum. The guy that Buckner seemingly hand picked?  I don't think that happens. Maybe if the remainder of the season just falls apart, even worse than what it has to this point. Best case is probably that they can convince Woodson it's time for him to "retire". That might be enough to somewhat save face for all parties.

It is turning into the worst case scenario worry that people had about the hire.  It will be turned into another instance of "fan expectations are just too high there, look how quick they turned on one of their own..."  That will be the narrative that gets played out and that is what most people who aren't paying attention will hear.

At best this was a bridge hire.  You hoped for some stability and then a passing of the torch to the next guy.  You looked to reestablish a connection to that past culture.  You hoped to make this a place that was attractive to big recruits with NIL and exciting "NBA style" play.  We got none of that.

Whether to retain or not is going to depend on how big of a disaster this ends up being.  Do they right the ship enough to get to 20 wins?  That probably buys him some time.  If the wheels completely fall off, I think you see players heading for the exits and then you HAVE to make a change.  You can't have a lame duck, with one signed recruit, going into the transfer portal trying to build a whole team.  You just can't.

• Like 3

Quite frankly we had 2 assistant coaches in Fife and Matta we sent packing that both surpassed Woody in Knowledge and experience. No question about it. If you want a quick fix I say hire Bruce Pearl He knows how to win and recruit! And his players will walk through fire for him. Talk about motivation and passion Bruce has it! He may not be a perfect choice, but winning solves a lot of problems' and He wins!

Edited by Rantool
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It is turning into the worst case scenario worry that people had about the hire.  It will be turned into another instance of "fan expectations are just too high there, look how quick they turned on one of their own..."  That will be the narrative that gets played out and that is what most people who aren't paying attention will hear.

At best this was a bridge hire.  You hoped for some stability and then a passing of the torch to the next guy.  You looked to reestablish a connection to that past culture.  You hoped to make this a place that was attractive to big recruits with NIL and exciting "NBA style" play.  We got none of that.

Whether to retain or not is going to depend on how big of a disaster this ends up being.  Do they right the ship enough to get to 20 wins?  That probably buys him some time.  If the wheels completely fall off, I think you see players heading for the exits and then you HAVE to make a change.  You can't have a lame duck, with one signed recruit, going into the transfer portal trying to build a whole team.  You just can't.

The last paragraph to me is the key part. I think we are going to see most everyone from this team gone next year. Guys like Banks and Gunn may be back. But it is going to be mostly an entire team built from the portal. It's not totally impossible but won't be easy. I like McNeeley as a piece of the puzzle but having him be who the team is built around is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That would be 4 losses the rest of the way. I think there’s a better chance we finish under .500 than we win 20 games. 

There is quite a bit of garbage left on the schedule.  Not saying I expect it but it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility if Woodson starts feeling the heat enough to make some of the very clear and easy changes available to him.

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean...at least we are good at something right?

Ya gotta laugh at this point KoB2011.  Either that or get way too upset about something we really have no control of.  I have been trying to tell myself all year that it is stupid for me to care about this more than the people with the closest investment to it all appear to be.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I just want to hang on to Malik. I can see everyone else wanting to transfer after experiencing this mess that they wouldn’t have experienced somewhere else. 

I want to hang onto him if he learns how to pass out of the post.  We had a play last night that actually went into Sparks.  Wisconsin brought the double and he passed to a wide open and ready to shoot Galloway who buried the shot.  That is something Malik needs to learn.

I think Cupps can and will be good if given the right direction.  Still have Newton sitting over there.  Keep McNeeley as your 3 and maybe even bring Galloway back for another year and you have pieces to build around.  Cupps, Galloway, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ware are one of the most efficient line ups in the country.  We have pieces, we just need a new systemic approach.  Now I would want to add some guys still obviously but you could probably make some hay with Cupps, Galloway, McNeeley, a stretch 4, and Reneau.  Go in the portal and get a veteran guard to take over and bring Gabe off the bench to develop more and even better.  Get 2 guards and have Gabe and Galloway be bench guys and you are really cooking.

That is going to take Woodson getting his butt out there this summer though.  

Edited by IUCrazy2

22 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

i can't even imagine 20 wins.  need 8... home vs Iowa and Penn St., home vs. NW and Neb?  home vs MSU?  that's 5.  i mean 1 in the B1G tourney?  then you're still looking for 2 more assuming you win all of those home games.  so home vs Wisc?  maybe?  then a road game?  super hard to imagine.  

I don’t think this team will win all the remaining home games or even all but one, and I really don’t feel good about the road games.

Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa and Michigan State are going to come in and expect to beat us, no matter where the game is played. Why wouldn’t those teams think they’re beating us?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i can't even imagine 20 wins.  need 8... home vs Iowa and Penn St., home vs. NW and Neb?  home vs MSU?  that's 5.  i mean 1 in the B1G tourney?  then you're still looking for 2 more assuming you win all of those home games.  so home vs Wisc?  maybe?  then a road game?  super hard to imagine.  

So this is all predicated on having to fix some things.  That being said, we have 6 home games left and then away games against Penn St., Maryland, Minnesota, and Ohio St. (we aren't going to beat Illinois or Purdue on the road).  It is a long shot but we do play better at home and outside of Wisconsin there really isn't anything that impressive about the rest of our home slate.  So win out at home and split on the road against the 4 mediocre teams left on the schedule and it you could do it.

I think we have the players that could do it but it would likely require a whole host of changes from the top down over this bye week to get done.

All that being said, do I expect that at this point?  No, not at all.  However, the schedule from here on out isn't terrible if you were looking to stack wins and even if they were to win 8 more that isn't going to get them in the tournament.  Right now Woodson has to be building his case for portal players that there is a reason to come here and for current players to stay invested.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think this team will win all the remaining home games or even all but one, and I really don’t feel good about the road games.

Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa and Michigan State are going to come in and expect to beat us, no matter where the game is played. Why wouldn’t those teams think they’re beating us?

I wouldn't even bet a dollar that we could do it but there is technically a chance.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Last night Himmel did say something about how IU went through a lot of coaches since RMK.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Last night Himmel did say something about how IU went through a lot of coaches since RMK.

I think that is because we try and win the press conference too much as opposed to finding the right guy.  We have money to spend and you can hire dynamic recruiters.  Sometimes the best hire is going to appear really boring in the press conference.

You just have to have someone in place doing the choosing who knows what they are looking for and has a plan.  I don't know how true all the Brad Stevens stuff was the last go around but not having a solid Plan B before swinging for the fences was stupid and I know he isn't Mr. Popular with a bunch of fans but if you were going to go and hire an "IU guy" to be the bridge, it should have been Alford.  I don't think that was best available but it would have been better than Woodson IMO.