Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, Indykev said:

Why would keeping Roberts matter? Hunter came from UConn.

I think he is pointing out having two bodies already here would allow for more hands on deck faster.  Hunter and Robert’s are both already in town and know the landscape of IU basketball presently and can help get things going faster.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think he is pointing out having two bodies already here would allow for more hands on deck faster.  Hunter and Robert’s are both already in town and know the landscape of IU basketball presently and can help get things going faster.

Yes, this is what I was meaning. 

• Like 3

I was just thinking about this today...

This years NCAA basketball off season player movement will be familiar territory for Coach Woodson...He's dealt with this kind of turmoil for years in the NBA...Free Agency and all of the ego stroking that goes along with luring players to play for you...

Shoot, we probably have a leg up in that department....

• Like 6

Just now, IUFLA said:

This years NCAA basketball off season player movement will be familiar territory for Coach Woodson...He's dealt with this kind of turmoil for years in the NBA...Free Agency and all of the ego stroking that goes along with luring players to play for you...

DD mentioned that last week. Maybe you really are Dan!!! I kid! 

• Haha 2

Just now, btownqb said:

Can you elaborate? I've been very ho hum on our assistants. 

From what i hear he was just a CAM yes man. If we are keeping all the assistants might as well kept Archie. I like Hunter and maybe find a different role for Roberts but we need an A+ recruiter and top notch player development and Ostrom was good but I hope for much better

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

From what i hear he was just a CAM yes man. If we are keeping all the assistants might as well kept Archie. I like Hunter and maybe find a different role for Roberts but we need an A+ recruiter and top notch player development and Ostrom was good but I hope for much better

As far as player development, do you think we need someone more with the bigs? Or more guard oriented?

I know both are needed, just trying to look at priorities...

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Any player development will be better than what we just had. 

• Like 5

Just now, IUFLA said:

As far as player development, do you think we need someone more with the bigs? Or more guard oriented?

I know both are needed, just trying to look at priorities...

Good question. I don't know any of the guys particular strengths and it seems like many assistants have done both just depending on the need with that team that they happen to be at. The biggest area is shooting from everyone as we all know but both guard play and bigs are of concern to me.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Good question. I don't know any of the guys particular strengths and it seems like many assistants have done both just depending on the need with that team that they happen to be at. The biggest area is shooting from everyone as we all know but both guard play and bigs are of concern to me.

I know Roberts was supposed to be overseeing the development of the bigs, but TJD had the same issues as a sophomore (no right hand, no outside shot) that he did as a freshman...It seemed to me that his only development was getting a year older and the more mature Big 10 ready body that went with it.

And I know it sounds kinda implausible, but I think simply the freedom to shoot, and the confidence that'll generate, will have our guards shooting the ball better next year...And Parker Stewart won't hurt either...

• Like 4

Just now, IUFLA said:

I know Roberts was supposed to be overseeing the development of the bigs, but TJD had the same issues as a sophomore (no right hand, no outside shot) that he did as a freshman...It seemed to me that his only development was getting a year older and the more mature Big 10 ready body that went with it.

And I know it sounds kinda implausible, but I think simply the freedom to shoot, and the confidence that'll generate, will have our guards shooting the ball better next year...And Parker Stewart won't hurt either...

no doubt on both points. Confidence goes a long way but our shooters do have some shooting flaws that can be ironed out. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He certainly has plenty of experience with meshing guys and getting guys up to speed in short order.  He is about as prepared for the wild wild west of the transport portal this year as anyone could be.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yep and Hunter worked with the bigs at UCONN. So....perhaps Roberts isn't needed? We just need someone to work with shooting....everywhere!!! No honestly I think Hunter is a pretty good guy to keep....has a decent track record. Would love another strong assistant like KT Turner I would feel a lot better...then the 3rd can be anyone Woodson feels comfortable with...maybe Calbert etc. Gotta have at least two shark recruiter though.