Annoying Aging and Health Issues

• 3 weeks later...

Any of you all use this Imunno 150 that I see commercials for? 

About 3 months ago I started taking a daily super foods supplement from NUU3, and by gawd it actually makes me feel better. So I was wondering about all of the additional minerals that they talk about in that Immuno 150 stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2024 at 2:54 AM, 5fouls said:

I very rarely get insomnia, maybe once or twice a year.

But, when I do........sigh.

I've been in recovery for alcohol addiction for awhile now. 

I want nothing more than to be sober. Every time I slip up insomnia follows. It's awful. 

I used to drink a fifth+ every day. Now I'll go awhile, 6-7 days. My longest stretch of sobriety this year was 43 days. But when I relapse I'm gone for 2-3 days. 

I'm getting better, I'm thankful that my problems never cost me a job or marriage.  Been with my wife since 2006, got married 2008. She has the same addiction I do. Been hard but we're tough 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I want nothing more than to be sober. Every time I slip up insomnia follows. It's awful. 

I used to drink a fifth+ every day. Now I'll go awhile, 6-7 days. My longest stretch of sobriety this year was 43 days. But when I relapse I'm gone for 2-3 days. 

I'm getting better, I'm thankful that my problems never cost me a job or marriage.  Been with my wife since 2006, got married 2008. She has the same addiction I do. Been hard but we're tough 

I had 5 months sober at one point earlier in the year and I've had some slip ups since then, and it can become a multi-day thing easily, so I totally get it.

There is a quote I come across recently that really resonates with me:

"There is a difference between losing and being defeated."

I think it was a quote from a fighter in a competitive sport, but point being you can 'lose' at times but you are never defeated unless you give up. And that is how I frame the experience, I might not always be perfect but I'm always still trying and never admitting defeat. The moment I give up, I would be defeated is how I see it.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

I had 5 months sober at one point earlier in the year and I've had some slip ups since then, and it can become a multi-day thing easily, so I totally get it.

I think it was a quote from a fighter in a competitive sport, but point being you can 'lose' at times but you are never defeated unless you give up. And that is how I frame the experience, I might not always be perfect but I'm always still trying and never admitting defeat. The moment I give up, I would be defeated is how I see it.

I didn't really start drinking until I was well into my 30's and it was precipitated by a difficult relationship. I have been a functioning alcoholic ever since. I was in my 60's before I could admit to what I was. I still drink off and on. I am able to recognize when I can't drink. I have a bunch of grandkids and I know I can't drink when I have them or when I'm going to be driving. So most of my drinking takes place at home at night. It's a constant battle. For anyone else who is dealing with the addiction, I fully understand what you are going through. Keep up the good fight. I am right there with you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Your story sounds eerily similar to mine.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 5:36 PM, bronkonagurski said:

It took me a long time to be honest with myself.

I've done every version of rehab. It isn't easy to be honest with yourself or others, but there is freedom in honesty 

Feel free to PM me

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 9:44 PM, cthomas said:

I didn't really start drinking until I was well into my 30's and it was precipitated by a difficult relationship. I have been a functioning alcoholic ever since. I was in my 60's before I could admit to what I was. I still drink off and on. I am able to recognize when I can't drink. I have a bunch of grandkids and I know I can't drink when I have them or when I'm going to be driving. So most of my drinking takes place at home at night. It's a constant battle. For anyone else who is dealing with the addiction, I fully understand what you are going through. Keep up the good fight. I am right there with you.

I didn't touch alcohol until I got to college.  I had couple wild semesters

But like you, it didn't get me until my 30s 

Alcoholism and drug addiction,abuse runs in my family.

16 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I didn't touch alcohol until I got to college.  I had couple wild semesters

But like you, it didn't get me until my 30s 

Alcoholism and drug addiction,abuse runs in my family.

My paternal grandfather was a heavy drinker from what I've been told. Probably because of that my dad never touched the stuff. My wife also drinks quite a bit which makes my issues even more difficult to manage. When I have something that I need to do that I can't if I drink, I can stay sober long enough to complete the task. Being retired doesn't really help either. It was easier to manage when I had a demanding work schedule to focus on. I know that if I stopped drinking today, and never touched another drop, I would still be an alcoholic.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cthomas said:

My paternal grandfather was a heavy drinker from what I've been told. Probably because of that my dad never touched the stuff. My wife also drinks quite a bit which makes my issues even more difficult to manage. When I have something that I need to do that I can't if I drink, I can stay sober long enough to complete the task. Being retired doesn't really help either. It was easier to manage when I had a demanding work schedule to focus on. I know that if I stopped drinking today, and never touched another drop, I would still be an alcoholic.

I wouldn't bring it up but being honest with yourself helps yourself and maybe someone else.

I hope one day I can be Ina position to help

• Thanks 1

Question for you two talking about alcohol addiction. When you do grab the booze and start drinking, what is your frame of mind? Do you feel that you just HAVE to have that drink or do you think, meh just a drink or two because I'm board and that sounds kind of fun? Just curious on the thoughts that go through your mind at the time of the first drink of the day.    

4 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Question for you two talking about alcohol addiction. When you do grab the booze and start drinking, what is your frame of mind? Do you feel that you just HAVE to have that drink or do you think, meh just a drink or two because I'm board and that sounds kind of fun? Just curious on the thoughts that go through your mind at the time of the first drink of the day.    

For me, very little thought goes into it. I'm not a morning drinker so I rarely start before I have finished whatever I have to do. When I settle in for the evening, I have a strong desire to have a few drinks to relax and forget about the negative, stressful things going on in my life. Sometimes a few drinks become too many drinks and I regret it the next day. What non-drinkers or social drinkers don't understand is that if you drink enough long enough you develop a high tolerance. It takes more and more to get to the happy place and the morning hangovers aren't as bad. It becomes a habit and a cycle that is difficult to break. Alcohol is a drug and it is addictive. The fact that it is legal doesn't make it any less destructive than any other drug.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

For me, very little thought goes into it. I'm not a morning drinker so I rarely start before I have finished whatever I have to do. When I settle in for the evening, I have a strong desire to have a few drinks to relax and forget about the negative, stressful things going on in my life. Sometimes a few drinks become too many drinks and I regret it the next day. What non-drinkers or social drinkers don't understand is that if you drink enough long enough you develop a high tolerance. It takes more and more to get to the happy place and the morning hangovers aren't as bad. It becomes a habit and a cycle that is difficult to break. Alcohol is a drug and it is addictive. The fact that it is legal doesn't make it any less destructive than any other drug.

Thanks for that. I've been trying to understand any difference or no difference between my thought process and others. 

I never "NEED" it, its more like later in the afternoon/ evening a thought will pop in my head.. ehhh yea a drink sounds cool/ fun. The other feeling/ thought is totally around your habit comment... ehhh its the evening lets go get a little bottle. 

My bigger problem is that I NEVER feel drunk. Without that feeling, you never know when to stop.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Thanks for that. I've been trying to understand any difference or no difference between my thought process and others. 

I never "NEED" it, its more like later in the afternoon/ evening a thought will pop in my head.. ehhh yea a drink sounds cool/ fun. The other feeling/ thought is totally around your habit comment... ehhh its the evening lets go get a little bottle. 

My bigger problem is that I NEVER feel drunk. Without that feeling, you never know when to stop.

My experience mimics @cthomasalmost verbatim. 

I'd only add there is a ritual aspect to it.  Not everyday is the same anymore. I started cooking again and get so focused on that I forget about it most the time. But that happy place, I got to where I want to get there faster and I'm already past it when it kicks in. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cthomas said:

So yeah I have a problem as well as some others. Crazy thing is my neighbor and really good friend is also alcoholic. But she has it mostly under control for now! She also is a horticulture tech at a legal grow house. I tried to take a hit when her and our neighbor were sharing but my COPD kicked in and I coughed for like two minutes after! Addiction is just that don’t go down that path because it’s extremely difficult to find another!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

So yeah I have a problem as well as some others. Crazy thing is my neighbor and really good friend is also alcoholic. But she has it mostly under control for now! She also is a horticulture tech at a legal grow house. I tried to take a hit when her and our neighbor were sharing but my COPD kicked in and I coughed for like two minutes after! Addiction is just that don’t go down that path because it’s extremely difficult to find another!

It affects way more than you could imagine and noone is immune. I've been to inpatient rehab for 30 days and I saw homeless, middle class, me, veterans, and a pharmaceutical executive.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

It affects way more than you could imagine and noone is immune. I've been to inpatient rehab for 30 days and I saw homeless, middle class, me, veterans, and a pharmaceutical executive.  

Hang in there! I am glad to see you posting again. I was wondering where you went. I hope you are doing well now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I’m guessing there are quite a few on here with some hearing loss like me! Some may be just dealing with it because of the cost, mine cost $5000 and I got the cheap ones. Don’t know if any of you noticed the Apple announcement that they will be incorporating hearing aid technology into their AirPods Pro 2 ear buds this fall! $250 vs $5000. Where were they 2 years ago?

• Like 1