Beer/Alcohol Thread

On 7/22/2024 at 9:59 AM, Reacher said:

Going to be in MI this weekend. Looking forward to seeing how many of these I can add to my list-

https://brewerystars.com/michigan-brewery-rankings/

Met my brother and his family at https://www.hailstormbrewing.com/ this past weekend. 3 of us sampled flights and all agreed they had a wide range of good beers

Saw they have an altbier and an ESB on tap. I don't see those styles as often as I'd like, definitely would have included those in my flight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Saw they have an altbier and an ESB on tap. I don't see those styles as often as I'd like, definitely would have included those in my flight.

I had the ESB and it was good. You are right that you don't see it often

On 7/22/2024 at 12:18 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

next door to Upstairs/Jimmy Johns?  Above ZnC?   Across from Roys?

If so, this was just called Dunnkirk when I was there (graduated 2015).  I believe this was a bar Cuban owned when he was at IU.  The name has changed, it even turned into an under 21 club for a bit.  

Yes the building did become Dunkirks.  I was there from 85-89.  Trying to find out what it was called then.  It closed in maybe 88 or 89 and the BW3's moved there.  Not sure how long they were there.  Fun fact... Yogis first opened up in the building on 10th where the BW3 moved from.

On 7/24/2024 at 7:46 AM, Reacher said:

I had the ESB and it was good. You are right that you don't see it often

Had the ESB from Triton last night, and it was quite good. Everything I'm looking for in the style. Definite recommend for anyone with access in the Indy area.

Back from 3 days in MI. Covered a lot of ground...  Had a Cherry Ale in Glen Arbor that I really didn't care for but just had to try. North Channel brewing in Manistee beer was ruined by terrible service. Took an hour and half to get served. Founders didn't disappoint. Really liked their Ultimate Octoberfest (brewed in Bourbon barrels) which was good enough for me to get some to bring home. Ended up with https://www.riversaintjoe.com/ which was a pleasant surprise. Nice setting (on a hop farm), good food and better than expected Farm Ale and Stout.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Back from 3 days in MI. Covered a lot of ground...  Had a Cherry Ale in Glen Arbor that I really didn't care for but just had to try. North Channel brewing in Manistee beer was ruined by terrible service. Took an hour and half to get served. Founders didn't disappoint. Really liked their Ultimate Octoberfest (brewed in Bourbon barrels) which was good enough for me to get some to bring home. Ended up with https://www.riversaintjoe.com/ which was a pleasant surprise. Nice setting (on a hop farm), good food and better than expected Farm Ale and Stout.

I had a cherry beer from Bells a few years ago and felt about the same. It felt like they just tried to do a little too much with it. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Last week I was in Co for a bit of a summer vacation. Visited Rocky Mountain National Park and some ski towns and some brewpubs :).

Wasn't impressed with Estes Park Brewery. Mountain Tap Brewery in Steamboat Springs had good food (wood fired pizza) and beer. Also stopped in Storm Peak there. What a cool name. Beer was a let down. Next up was Vail Brewing Co. Good beer. Then Breckenridge Brewing. Probably my favorite along with Mountain Tap. Angry James in Silverthorne another let down. CO Springs has 30+ breweries. Stopped at Cerberus there for lunch and had a Goat Patch with my dinner. Both were good. I think there were 1 or 2 other beers I sampled over the week but not at their brewpubs so don't recall further details. 

A great road trip vacation (after we flew into Denver) with great scenery, animals, food and beer!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 2:33 PM, Reacher said:

Last week I was in Co for a bit of a summer vacation. Visited Rocky Mountain National Park and some ski towns and some brewpubs :).

Wasn't impressed with Estes Park Brewery. Mountain Tap Brewery in Steamboat Springs had good food (wood fired pizza) and beer. Also stopped in Storm Peak there. What a cool name. Beer was a let down. Next up was Vail Brewing Co. Good beer. Then Breckenridge Brewing. Probably my favorite along with Mountain Tap. Angry James in Silverthorne another let down. CO Springs has 30+ breweries. Stopped at Cerberus there for lunch and had a Goat Patch with my dinner. Both were good. I think there were 1 or 2 other beers I sampled over the week but not at their brewpubs so don't recall further details. 

A great road trip vacation (after we flew into Denver) with great scenery, animals, food and beer!

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter is one of the first craft beers I remember trying. 

Sounds like an awesome trip!