2023 NFL Discussion

rico

15 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I think the need to rush young QBs in is a massive mismanagement and a disservice. More QB's have been broken than not in doing so. 

It's always interesting, and I see it both ways. I simply think every QB is different.

I dont think Peyton Manning would have gained a thing by sitting out his first year. I think his struggles his first year was simply getting used to the different speed of the NFL vs college. And I think the only thing that solves that is seeing it while playing.

Then you look at a guy like Jordan Love. The few reps he did get behind Rodgers early on, he looked like a complete joke. I think he absolutely benefited from sitting out for a bit.

Then you throw in the fact that sometimes there are narrow "win now" gaps with the salary cap that, you can't really "waste" the chance of having a great QB on a rookie deal and sitting him on the bench. If he's a stud and cheap, you are missing a chance of having a stellar team, being that you can use the money saved elsewhere. 

Edited by ephul

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Only if they are willing to lose a year in a very winnable division 

Drafting a quarterback as young and inexperienced as AR is, and then benching him after 7-8 starts would be silly in my opinion. 

I don’t think they are beating the Texans and CJ Stroud with Joe Falco. 

1 hour ago, ephul said:

It's always interesting, and I see it both ways. I simply think every QB is different.

I dont think Peyton Manning would have gained a thing by sitting out his first year. I think his struggles his first year was simply getting used to the different speed of the NFL vs college. And I think the only thing that solves that is seeing it while playing.

Then you look at a guy like Jordan Love. The few reps he did get behind Rodgers early on, he looked like a complete joke. I think he absolutely benefited from sitting out for a bit.

Then you throw in the fact that sometimes there are narrow "win now" gaps with the salary cap that, you can't really "waste" the chance of having a great QB on a rookie deal and sitting him on the bench. If he's a stud and cheap, you are missing a chance of having a stellar team, being that you can use the money saved elsewhere. 

I agree. Some can come in a tear it up. Most cant. Like Everything else it's a case by case scenario. 

Some of these QB's are getting thrown away 2 or 3 years in when they are 24 yrs old, that's when they should actually be getting their start.

There are not many QBs that would not benefit from sitting for a year or 2.

The rookie contract and performance under it is the dilemma.