2023 NFL Discussion

rico

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Listening to ESPN radio today and Greenie was talking about how bad the QB play was in week 1. I guess this week was the worst since 2007 on passing yard average per game. The average was 188 yards per team this week and the QB rating was by the worse since then as well 

They were going over maybe what the problem is with the QB overall in the NFL. A lot thinks it is the lack of work in the off season and training camp. Also a lot of teams don't play their #1 QB much if any during pre season games.

What do you guys think.

Tom Brady said it right. They dumbed down the league for these young qbs and none of them have “come up” in a pro offense for years sitting behind and working your way up. Defenses are also well ahead of offense early on…but I do agree qbs aren’t taught to read the whole field like they used to. Just look at Justin Fields and other young qbs…rolling them out and having them only read half the field or having them read short and deep but only working one side of the field….almskt ignoring the middle of the field entirely. That said I’m sure there are experts smarter than me that know more but that was just my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We let 4 backup QB's beat us last year. It seems like it has happened a lot over the years for the Colts.

Also if you read that article I posted about Bradley he makes it easier for QB's to play well.

Well we beat 9 teams last year with a backup…imagine how foolish they must have felt! 😂

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We let 4 backup QB's beat us last year. It seems like it has happened a lot over the years for the Colts.

Also if you read that article I posted about Bradley he makes it easier for QB's to play well.

Yeah but Willis is REALLY bad. At least he was in Tennessee. Like, I was stunned when I heard he was the backup in Green Bay. 

I've always been a closet Chargers fan for whatever reason. Anyway I know it's just the Raiders but I saw more energy, hunger or whatever you want to call it in 1 game under Harbaugh vs every other Coach they've had since Marty.

The entire culture looks different. They won't be competing for playoffs yet but it won't surprise me one bit if the Chargers leapfrog some of the AFC borderline playoff teams by next year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Yeah but Willis is REALLY bad. At least he was in Tennessee. Like, I was stunned when I heard he was the backup in Green Bay. 

Yet Ryan Tannenhill is still sitting at home. Not sure what his agent is asking for but that’s crazy. Guy is at least competent to back up in this league.

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've always been a closet Chargers fan for whatever reason. Anyway I know it's just the Raiders but I saw more energy, hunger or whatever you want to call it in 1 game under Harbaugh vs every other Coach they've had since Marty.

The entire culture looks different. They won't be competing for playoffs yet but it won't surprise me one bit if the Chargers leapfrog some of the AFC borderline playoff teams by next year.

Agreed. Now losing can reverse a lot…so let’s see what happens when they face adversity of losing a few games in a row…because it will happen at some point but I think Jim has that teams attention and focus in the right direction.

Oh and if Dobbins can stay healthy for a couple years…wow that guy deserves a break…hope for his sake he does.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Now losing can reverse a lot…so let’s see what happens when they face adversity of losing a few games in a row…because it will happen at some point but I think Jim has that teams attention and focus in the right direction.

Oh and if Dobbins can stay healthy for a couple years…wow that guy deserves a break…hope for his sake he does.

I cheer for any RB so they get a chance at that contract....especially those who have been dealt injuries. We eat them up and spit them out by the time they reach 26. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yet Ryan Tannenhill is still sitting at home. Not sure what his agent is asking for but that’s crazy. Guy is at least competent to back up in this league.

Sounds like Taneyhill wants good money and guaranteed PT to come back. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/ryan-tannehill-top-free-agent-qb-available-waiting-for-right-opportunity-to-sign-with-team

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Two years ago Hamlin about died…now he just about killed Tua. I’d say that’s a wrap on his career. Good thing Dolphins paid him that huge contract. If he can’t take a normal tackle he shouldn’t be playing anymore.

Ryan Tannehill might be getting a call tomorrow, if not tonight.  

• Like 2

Looking at backup QBs on other teams that the Dolphins could pursue.  I see 2 that are intriguing. 

- Andy Dalton of the Panthers

- Jimmy Garappolo of the Rams.

Carolina is likely destined to get the first pick in next year's draft anyway.  Might as well get some draft picks from the Dolphins.  At 36, Dalton is not the long term answer when they finally give up on Bryce Young.

Garappolo would cost more, as the Rams have playoff hopes and probably like the idea of having Jimmy G available if Stafford goes down.  But, he's not the long term answer for whe Stafford hangs them up.

Edited by 5fouls

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Two years ago Hamlin about died…now he just about killed Tua. I’d say that’s a wrap on his career. Good thing Dolphins paid him that huge contract. If he can’t take a normal tackle he shouldn’t be playing anymore.

Hopefully the folks who are closest to him can convince him of this. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Looking at backup QBs on other teams that the Dolphins could pursue.  I see 2 that are intriguing. 

Carolina is likely destined to get the first pick in next year's draft anyway.  Might as well get some draft picks from the Dolphins.  At 36, Dalton is not the long term answer when they finally give up on Bryce Young.

Garappolo would cost more, as the Rams have playoff hopes and probably like the idea of having Jimmy G available if Stafford goes down.  But, he's not the long term answer for whe Stafford hangs them up.

I like your Tannehill idea better. I don’t think either of these guys are taking you to the playoffs, plus you don’t have to give up draft capital for Taneyhill. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 5fouls said:

We have the king of backups…Joe Freakin Flacco…why can’t we trade him for a pick??