2023 NFL Discussion

rico

The game yesterday was partially on Ballard. The Colts and Texans both had holes. The Colts didn't fill theres and the Texans did. Cross and Blackmon leading the team in tackles is a problem. The Colts culture under Ballard lacks toughness and in games lack that it showed especially in the trenches. Richardson wasn't great but he made some winning plays and his lone interception should've been a catch. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The good

AR big play capability 

Pierce 

Block punt

Pass rush

Rookie kicker hit all of his extra points.

The bad 

Run defense

Run offense

AR lack of accuracy and touch on shorter passes.

The defense on the 4th and goal at the 3. Had Cross on the slot receiver and had him 4 yards into the end zone. He had no chance to defend that play being that far off the receiver. That is a Gus Bradley problem.

The DL and LB's

Going into the season I was hoping to start the season 3-1 since 3 of the first 4 is at home. We can still get there since Love won't be playing Sunday when we play at GB and we play the Bears and Steelers at home.

How do you know the bold? And I am specifically talking about that play, not the whole, the Cross play on the goal line against Diggs, how do you know Cross didn't just completely botch it/Diggs is pretty good? Also, again, the bigger issue was, on the same drive Jones committed a holding penalty when Kenny got the pick. Like that holding call IS a bigger deal than Cross guarding an All pro-WR. 

I don't believe that specific play is a Gus issue. The run fits might be, though. I would also like to know wtf happened on 3rd and 6 for Diggs to waltz into the score the first time. It's either Kenny or Cross who messed that one up. 

I pretty much agree with everything else, but I wish I could sit in on their meeting room. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The game yesterday was partially on Ballard. The Colts and Texans both had holes. The Colts didn't fill theres and the Texans did. Cross and Blackmon leading the team in tackles is a problem. The Colts culture under Ballard lacks toughness and in games lack that it showed especially in the trenches. Richardson wasn't great but he made some winning plays and his lone interception should've been a catch. 

Steichen? He's the coach. 

But what holes? the DBs were good, we added a DE1 and MItchell. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How do you know the bold? And I am specifically talking about that play, not the whole, the Cross play on the goal line against Diggs, how do you know Cross didn't just completely botch it/Diggs is pretty good? Also, again, the bigger issue was, on the same drive Jones committed a holding penalty when Kenny got the pick. Like that holding call IS a bigger deal than Cross guarding an All pro-WR. 

I don't believe that specific play is a Gus issue. The run fits might be, though. I would also like to know wtf happened on 3rd and 6 for Diggs to waltz into the score the first time. It's either Kenny or Cross who messed that one up. 

I pretty much agree with everything else, but I wish I could sit in on their meeting room. 

That first TD seemed to be that when Diggs motioned outside it confused the DB's and when he went back inside there was no one to cover him

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That first TD seemed to be that when Diggs motioned outside it confused the DB's and when he went back inside there was no one to cover him

Right that's what I'm saying lol.. that's a completely blown assignment. Money downs we were AWFUL. 

Thoughts from yesterday afternoon at Lucas Oil:

• Colts offense needed to control the ball and did the exact opposite. Outside the explosive scoring plays, felt like a very boring and pedestrian showing.
  • Colts defense got some good pressure on Stroud but couldn't finish the deal on the key plays where he got loose using his legs. And got ground down to pieces by Mixon in the 2nd half obviously.

AR5 turnover in the red zone probably decided the game, if only the Colts could have scored there.

It's early but to me the Colts feel like another 9-8 type squad that likely will need to win their final game to make the playoffs, similar to last season. The upside will be if AR5 stays healthy and continues to develop, maybe he can elevate this team to another level.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right that's what I'm saying lol.. that's a completely blown assignment. Money downs we were AWFUL. 

To me that is what happens when you rely on young and inexperience DB's. I think we gave up first downs 3 times with 3rd and 10 or more

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me that is what happens when you rely on young and inexperience DB's. I think we gave up first downs 3 times with 3rd and 10 or more

uhh 3rd and 16 was NOT on the DBs. Franklin missed contain, some wanted a hold on Texans on that play, I missed that part. 

3rd and 11 late-- CJ and Nico hook up on a stupid good out route where there was basically no way Jones could have played better D

And I'm pretty sure the other 3rd and long with a CJ scramble and they went for it on 4th and got it, right? Because we had great coverage he had to scramble. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll.trade the Bengals performance for the Colts performance.  

And many other teams, honestly. Commanders, Browns, ATL, Cinci, Panthers, Giants, Raiders all played like shit. Titans, Jags, Cards kinda gave games away. 

We'll see. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'll.trade the Bengals performance for the Colts performance.  

I was knee deep in Bears game but like I told my friends who are coming down in a couple of weeks if we play like that against Houston and Colts we'll be 1-2 quickly.

Seems like to me Colts are like 1-2 plays whether on 3rd and longs getting off the field or maybe a conversion or two on offense from winning. 

I know it can get tiring for the die hard Colts guys but this team and organization is close. Just need to get over that hump...which is the same thing about 15 fanbases are saying this morning. 

PS...Bengals looked like a team who hadn't practiced together. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I was knee deep in Bears game but like I told my friends who are coming down in a couple of weeks if we play like that against Houston and Colts we'll be 1-2 quickly.

Seems like to me Colts are like 1-2 plays whether on 3rd and longs getting off the field or maybe a conversion or two on offense from winning. 

I know it can get tiring for the die hard Colts guys but this team and organization is close. Just need to get over that hump...which is the same thing about 15 fanbases are saying this morning. 

PS...Bengals looked like a team who hadn't practiced together. 

Bengals don't play starters in preseason and this (slow starts to seadon) has been an ongoing theme for years.

Top it off with all the conteact drama, and I'm not convinced Burtow is healthy, and it's going to be a long year.

I saw a depth chart of Burrow's throws yesterday.  It was not pretty.  Nothing deep.  I'll see if I can ffg ind it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Bengals don't play starters in preseason and this (slow starts to seadon) has been an ongoing theme for years.

Top it off with all the conteact drama, and I'm not convinced Burtow is healthy, and it's going to be a long year.

I saw a depth chart of Burrow's throws yesterday.  It was not pretty.  Nothing deep.  I'll see if I can ffg ind it.

Heard he can only throw 2 days in a row, then needs to rest a day. 

2 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Over reaction Monday is a real thing.

Full disclosure. I'm a Ballard guy. He was in the room for years of our (Bears) best drafts. I get the results based side of things for Colts fans. I cheer for them hard after the Bears.  There were factors in play (some controllable, some not) that have set the Colts back over the past 3-4 years. First and foremost Luck quitting and the owner wanting the GM to chase the fix it option at QB. Secondly AR getting hurt last year. 

I really like this team and I believe it's a week 1 overreaction like you said. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The Colts lack of moves to strengthen the secondary is working out great. Juju Brent’s is out for the year with a knee injury 

Who you signing in the offseasom to be your 4th/5th? 

Complaint-- the constant complaints-- about the defensive backfired never made sense.  

• Haha 1