2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Two cent opinion incoming. Tale of two games. Bears win ugly and all is well at 1-0. Colts lose to what I think is a very good team by 2 and the world is over. 

Weird how the schedule works. Colts should beat Pack without Love, Bears play like they did today and they lose to Houston...setting up an important week 3 game with Bears/Colts. 

• Like 3

Just now, Boiler Sam said:

Mr Trenches got smoked in the trenches today. Let’s not pretend that this is a sophisticated sport. 

Time of Possession:

Houston 40 minutes- Indy 20 minutes.

Rushing

Houston 200 yards-Indy 100 yards 

Mixon 159 yards- JT 48 yards

He will never think a coach or GM is ever at fault with anything.

2 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Mr Trenches got smoked in the trenches today. Let’s not pretend that this is a sophisticated sport. 

Time of Possession:

Houston 40 minutes- Indy 20 minutes.

Rushing

Houston 200 yards-Indy 100 yards 

Mixon 159 yards- JT 48 yards

Wow. Those were the numbers? Just catching up as my eyes were mostly elsewhere today. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He will never think a coach or GM is ever at fault with anything.

Maybe Ballard is as good a GM as we can reasonably expect to get, with an owner who is so …uh… unpredictable. He’s not terrible, he’s literally the definition of average.

That’s my only explanation. 

Next draft Poles will need to use most picks in the trenches and need to hit on most of those. Bears need a center and someone better than Nate Davis at guard. Need another legit pass rusher on d-line, although I thought Dexter has a decent game today. In the way to early draft, I would say Bears need 2 onlinemen/2 d linemen, 1 receiver (assuming Keenan Allen leaves) and maybe running back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Maybe Ballard is as good a GM as we can reasonably expect to get, with an owner who is so …uh… unpredictable. He’s not terrible, he’s literally the definition of average.

That’s my only explanation. 

We are in the worst place being stuck right in middle. You either need to be a perianal playoff team or be horrible. I just don't know what other GM has ever kept a job with a 54-61-1 record with no division championships.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Two cent opinion incoming. Tale of two games. Bears win ugly and all is well at 1-0. Colts lose to what I think is a very good team by 2 and the world is over. 

Weird how the schedule works. Colts should beat Pack without Love, Bears play like they did today and they lose to Houston...setting up an important week 3 game with Bears/Colts. 

Bears win with defense and special teams...

The more things change, the more they stay the same 🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We are in the worst place being stuck right in middle. You either need to be a perianal playoff team or be horrible. I just don't know what other GM has ever kept a job with a 54-61-1 record with no division championships.

It's just crazy Week 1 you guys are talking about Ballard lol 

Absolutely wild. Ballard had nothing to do with the game yesterday. 0 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Those were the numbers? Just catching up as my eyes were mostly elsewhere today. 

Don't worry, the sky is absolutely falling after the Colts play poopy, lose by 2 to the media darling of the off season that has a QB that didn't just go through an 11 month rehab process and wasnt missing his favorite target. Just like in every close game 3 or 4 plays... 

Jones holding call on K Moores pick was a big one. 

2 points lol 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I did not get to see the Browns/Cowboys game.  How was Tom Brady on the mic?

OK as far as content, but he's got the voice of a kid just coming in to adolescence...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Don't worry, the sky is absolutely falling after the Colts play poopy, lose by 2 to the media darling of the off season that has a QB that didn't just go through an 11 month rehab process and wasnt missing his favorite target. Just like in every close game 3 or 4 plays... 

Jones holding call on K Moores pick was a big one. 

2 points lol 

You know the fan base dislike for Ballard has nothing to do with yesterday's game but his mediocre career the last 7 years. These are the only numbers that count.

54-61-1 overall record 

0-8 in season openers 

No division titles

2 playoff appearances 

1 playoff win

If you want to blame the coaches then who hired those inept coaches.

I also don't like his philosophy on team building and what he thinks is important. He gives huge money to positions that most don't feel that is important enough to give huge money to.  He neglected the defensive backfield knowing it was young and thin at both CB and safety 

Yesterday we played a team that won the division last year and won a playoff game. They didn't stand pat but went out and got a 100 years rusher and a 1000 yard receiver who both killed us yesterday.

Luckily for KC and Buffalo fans that Ballard isn't their GM because they wouldn't ever gotten Mahomes or Allen. Ballard is to afraid to be aggressive because he is afraid to fail.  Both KC and Buffalo had to make huge trades to move up a lot to get their QB. I rather have a GM that isn't afraid to strike out swinging than just watched the third strike go by 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You know the fan base dislike for Ballard has nothing to do with yesterday's game but his mediocre career the last 7 years. These are the only numbers that count.

54-61-1 overall record 

0-8 in season openers 

No division titles

2 playoff appearances 

1 playoff win

If you want to blame the coaches then who hired those inept coaches.

I also don't like his philosophy on team building and what he thinks is important. He gives huge money to positions that most don't feel that is important enough to give huge money to.  He neglected the defensive backfield knowing it was young and thin at both CB and safety 

Yesterday we played a team that won the division last year and won a playoff game. They didn't stand pat but went out and got a 100 years rusher and a 1000 yard receiver who both killed us yesterday.

Luckily for KC and Buffalo fans that Ballard isn't their GM because they wouldn't ever gotten Mahomes or Allen. Ballard is to afraid to be aggressive because he is afraid to fail.  Both KC and Buffalo had to make huge trades to move up a lot to get their QB. I rather have a GM that isn't afraid to strike out swinging than just watched the third strike go by 

The fanbase lol 

You, Boiler, and Rick Venturi. only people I see blaming Ballard for yesterday. 

If you want to discuss yesterday, we can. 

The defensive backfield was pretty damn good yesterday, assuming the Texans are the darling everyone seems to think they are. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The fanbase lol 

You, Boiler, and Rick Venturi. only people I see blaming Ballard for yesterday. 

If you want to discuss yesterday, we can. 

The defensive backfield was pretty damn good yesterday, assuming the Texans are the darling everyone seems to think they are. 

I guess you don't read message boards or listen to local radio shows do you. The DB's didn't give up huge plays but didn't make any either . Stroud threw 32 passes and our defense got their hands on 1 of them. We threw the ball 19 times and Houston defense got their hands on 7. It just might be more a Gus Bradley problem than the players because of his vanilla defense.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess you don't read message boards or listen to local radio shows do you. The DB's didn't give up huge plays but didn't make any either . Stroud threw 32 passes and our defense got their hands on 1 of them. We threw the ball 19 times and Houston defense got their hands on 7. It just might be more a Gus Bradley problem than the players because of his vanilla defense.

Never listened to a radio talk show in my life. Never really even listened to a TV talk show. 

DBs made a huge play at the goal line, negated by a poor play (basically the only poor play Jones made), he also JUST missed a pick, same with Brents. Literally inches and those two have a pick-a-piece. So, that is two passes we got hands-on right there. 

Those two and Cross/Blackmon were good, though. 

Jones hold, 3rd and 16 we gave up, and Granson slipping on the INT/AR should have hit AD Mitchell for a TD two plays before that. 

Those 3 plays. 

Gus and the DL/LBers have to figure out the run fits, though, that was f'ing embarrassing. OL didn't have a great game in the run game, pass pro was mostly solid, though. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Never listened to a radio talk show in my life. Never really even listened to a TV talk show. 

DBs made a huge play at the goal line, negated by a poor play (basically the only poor play Jones made), he also JUST missed a pick, same with Brents. Literally inches and those two have a pick-a-piece. So, that is two passes we got hands-on right there. 

Those two and Cross/Blackmon were good, though. 

Jones hold, 3rd and 16 we gave up, and Granson slipping on the INT/AR should have hit AD Mitchell for a TD two plays before that. 

Those 3 plays. 

Gus and the DL/LBers have to figure out the run fits, though, that was f'ing embarrassing. OL didn't have a great game in the run game, pass pro was mostly solid, though. 

I don’t the secondary making all those tackles yesterday is getting talked about enough. They had to make a TON of tackles on the running backs and sometimes that wears on a DB and they don’t want to do that anymore. I didn’t see any “business decisions” being made so to speak. They all went in there and were willing tacklers. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I don’t the secondary making all those tackles yesterday is getting talked about enough. They had to make a TON of tackles on the running backs and sometimes that wears on a DB and they don’t want to do that anymore. I didn’t see any “business decisions” being made so to speak. They all went in there and were willing tacklers. 

10000% 

Blackmon and Cross had to made like 15+ solos combined, Jones was in on a lot of tackles and we know Brents isn't soft. 

Scheme against the run clearly wasn't good/there had to have been blown assignments against their wide zone. 

The team on the other sideline wants to win too. 

The good

AR big play capability 

Pierce 

Block punt

Pass rush

Rookie kicker hit all of his extra points.

The bad 

Run defense

Run offense

AR lack of accuracy and touch on shorter passes.

The defense on the 4th and goal at the 3. Had Cross on the slot receiver and had him 4 yards into the end zone. He had no chance to defend that play being that far off the receiver. That is a Gus Bradley problem.

The DL and LB's

Going into the season I was hoping to start the season 3-1 since 3 of the first 4 is at home. We can still get there since Love won't be playing Sunday when we play at GB and we play the Bears and Steelers at home.

Edited by IU Scott