2023 NFL Discussion

rico

21 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Jerry and Stephen have been over the barrel since they slow played his first negotiation. That’s how he got the no trade / no tag. 

The only way out is to let Dak walk, start Trey in 2025, tank, and try to get Arch in 2026. Not a great plan, admittedly. But Dak is who he is at this point. An OK quarterback. I don’t think you overpay for OK. 

Not sure Jerry is going to just throw the next few years away to take chance on a rookie in a couple years. Not sure with as good a team you have you can totally bottom out…but good luck selling that plan. No doubt you aren’t going to be happy…cause they are out of options and it gets more expensive the longer they wait.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So your line of thinking that a GM shouldn't ever get fired since he doesn't play with be game. Also the last time I checked the coaches don't play the games either so they shouldn't get fired either

When you do your part of the equation poorly--- example Grigson--- you should be fired. 

When you do your part well--- example Ballard--- you should retain your spot. 

I can't spell it out any differently.

We're absolutely elite on both fronts-- OL/DL. Pittman, Downs, Taylor, Mitchell and others as playmakers... 

Only question this team has is DBs. If they'd been healthy last year they would have been fine--- we'll see how much Cross, Brents, and Jones have grown... 

They are 23, 22, and 22 years old. 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

When you do your part of the equation poorly--- example Grigson--- you should be fired. 

When you do your part well--- example Ballard--- you should retain your spot. 

I can't spell it out any differently.

We're absolutely elite on both fronts-- OL/DL. Pittman, Downs, Taylor, Mitchell and others as playmakers... 

Only question this team has is DBs. If they'd been healthy last year they would have been fine--- we'll see how much Cross, Brents, and Jones have grown... 

They are 23, 22, and 22 years old. 

I guess the difference between us is that I don't think Ballard has done his part well enough. To me the talent  is average at hest especially at the most important positions. QB to he determined, WR, Edge Rusher and CB. In the long run if your team doesn't make the playoffs or can't win one of the weakest divisions you need to be fired.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I guess the difference between us is that I don't think Ballard has done his part well enough. To me the talent  is average at hest especially at the most important positions. QB to he determined, WR, Edge Rusher and CB. In the long run if your team doesn't make the playoffs or can't win one of the weakest divisions you need to be fired.

The talent has been proven, literally by data, to be well well above average. 

QB TBD? What? Lol 

How do you think we were 9-8 with Gardner Minshew at QB last year and JT only playing 1/2 the season? 

Solid af at Edge now and plenty have even listed us as their best DL as a whole heading into the season. Those top 4 DEs are nasty. 

Ballard isn't outside of the Top 10 GMs. I think its a weak argument if all you can use is W/L. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not sure Jerry is going to just throw the next few years away to take chance on a rookie in a couple years. Not sure with as good a team you have you can totally bottom out…but good luck selling that plan. No doubt you aren’t going to be happy…cause they are out of options and it gets more expensive the longer they wait.

Not tanking 2024 - you go all out. And If Dak wins some playoff games this year, makes it at least to the NFC championship game, then you pay the man.

But if he fails in the biggest moment again, I say you tank the 2025 season, and reset. 

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

Not tanking 2024 - you go all out. And If Dak wins some playoff games this year, makes it at least to the NFC championship game, then you pay the man.

But if he fails in the biggest moment again, I say you tank the 2025 season, and reset. 

The problem is if Dak plays well he is an unrestricted free agent…can go to the highest bidder. That’s a big gamble. Basically you sign him now or lose him period. If he plays avg he will still cost you more because you will be competing with teams like the Raiders and Titans and maybe Dolphins and Seattle..Giants…Pittsburg..there will be lots of competition for him…great or just good Dak.

It will run up the price regardless. I mean unless you are done with him…and if your done then you should probably had asked him to waive his trade clause. Playing it out to me is either you are moving on no matter what (and that means pain and wasting the prime of Lamb and Parsons etc) or you will be over a barrel again for next contract. I wouldn’t want that. I would never give the guy a no trade clause…that seems crazy but they did…sorry your team put you in that scenario. That said the teams issues are way more than Dak. I don’t think he is elite but he isn’t what is holding you back. Certainly good enough to win a SB.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

The problem is if Dak plays well he is an unrestricted free agent…can go to the highest bidder. That’s a big gamble. Basically you sign him now or lose him period. If he plays avg he will still cost you more because you will be competing with teams like the Raiders and Titans and maybe Dolphins and Seattle..Giants…Pittsburg..there will be lots of competition for him…great or just good Dak.

It will run up the price regardless. I mean unless you are done with him…and if your done then you should probably had asked him to waive his trade clause. Playing it out to me is either you are moving on no matter what (and that means pain and wasting the prime of Lamb and Parsons etc) or you will be over a barrel again for next contract. I wouldn’t want that. I would never give the guy a no trade clause…that seems crazy but they did…sorry your team put you in that scenario. That said the teams issues are way more than Dak. I don’t think he is elite but he isn’t what is holding you back. Certainly good enough to win a SB.

I don’t think he is a Super Bowl caliber QB, especially if he’s eating 25% of the cap, but you could certainly do a lot worse…. they’re sort of in the Vikings/Cousins spot, but maybe one rung higher on the ladder. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

I don’t think he is a Super Bowl caliber QB, especially if he’s eating 25% of the cap, but you could certainly do a lot worse…. they’re sort of in the Vikings/Cousins spot, but maybe one rung higher on the ladder. 

The chance that you roll the dice in the draft and even get the top pick in the next 3-4 drafts and do better than what Dak had turned out to be I would say is pretty slim. He’s basically been a top 10 qb last 5 years (exception of year he was hurt). The chance you draft a better qb is pretty long shot…you are much more likely to land someone much worse. Considering the hit rate for qbs taken in first rd I’d say you should focus on what he does well and then balance out the team around him. Fact you will have no running game this year is going to be a problem in my eyes. There are holes on the defense that could be addressed. Imo qb would be hard to improve…and 60 million is just what playoff caliber qbs get paid. Plenty of money left to go around…but most importantly it’s how you deploy your talent that’s the biggest issue. 

Your team is better off than a majority…imo you should be looking at that move or two to put you over the top. Not tear it down in a qb rebuild. The NFC is much more wide open and winnable with most of the best qbs being in the AFC.

Edited by dgambill