2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I remember a lot of losing seasons for the Bears in my early years. It was Walter Peyton and not much else. Then 84-88 they were really good but not much else 

The Bears winning % in the 70's was 42% and they had losing seasons in the first 4 years of the 80's

Bears were 11-5 in 90 and 91 seasons as well under Ditka. 92 they had a losing record (5-11), and Ditka got fired at end of season.

19 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Bears were 11-5 in 90 and 91 seasons as well under Ditka. 92 they had a losing record (5-11), and Ditka got fired at end of season.

I am not sure asking about their history. This discussion started when I said before the Colts moved here we had to watch the Bears and Bengals almost every week. Anything after 1984 really doesn't have anything to do with my point of those teams not being very good. After 84 we had the Colts every week unless it was blacked out due to not selling our. Also the weeks the Colts were home we didn't get another game at the same time the Colts played.

That Bears/Carolina game might be really interesting in a few weeks. Depending on the better record might have some extra incentive. I really thought Bryce Young would be better this year but he has been terrible. Bears dodged a bullet not taking him.

Edited by dgambill

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I wonder what their record is against the Packers since the day they fired Ditka.  30 years of data.  Not to mention the 1960s.  They had that little sliver in the back half of the 1980s where the Bears absolutely dominated the division but that’s a small window compared to the years and years the Pack have controlled things.  It’s management and in the Bears case ownership.   If some tech billionaire bought out the McCaskeys, nothing would be better, from a stadium to GM to coach to QB.  Even from an investment standpoint you could turn around the business and absolutely kill it on your investment.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I wonder what their record is against the Packers since the day they fired Ditka.  30 years of data.  Not to mention the 1960s.  They had that little sliver in the back half of the 1980s where the Bears absolutely dominated the division but that’s a small window compared to the years and years the Pack have controlled things.  It’s management and in the Bears case ownership.   If some tech billionaire bought out the McCaskeys, nothing would be better, from a stadium to GM to coach to QB.  Even from an investment standpoint you could turn around the business and absolutely kill it on your investment.  

Should have bought them about 10 years ago…with Washington selling for 6 billion…gotta think the Bears are worth more…maybe 7…and that’s without the new stadium. there was a lot more meat on that bone 10 years ago…probably would have gotten them for half that.

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Should have bought them about 10 years ago…with Washington selling for 6 billion…gotta think the Bears are worth more…maybe 7…there was a lot more meat on that bone 10 years ago…probably would have gotten them for half that.

Exactly.  Imagine if they get a new top of the line stadium.  Get the USC QB.  Maybe a top 2-3 coach in Sean McVay shakes free (it’s been bandied that it’s getting stale in LA).   Turn the operation over to him and pay whatever it takes.  Buy before all that gets done and the increase in value will be insane.  Somebody super wealthy even by owner standards has got to find that attractive.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly.  Imagine if they get a new top of the line stadium.  Get the USC QB.  Maybe a top 2-3 coach in Sean McVay shakes free (it’s been bandied that it’s getting stale in LA).   Turn the operation over to him and pay whatever it takes.  Buy before all that gets done and the increase in value will be insane.  Somebody super wealthy even by owner standards has got to find that attractive.  

Well the problem is if it’s run just to make a profit then it really doesn’t matter what happens on the field…you want an Uber wealthy owner that will spend money and wants to win a championship…who will pay the huge guaranteed signing bonuses etc. I think your problem now is ownership that is just trying to maximize earnings and milk their investment. Get a Balmer etc that just wants to win and isn’t interested in selling. You get a huge investment group you are going to have conflicting goals.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Bears are so bad they are trying to give up the #1 pick back to back years.

Lots of games left. Between bears and Carolina they will have a good chance at having #1. I figured the bears would win some games this year…although after the broncos game last week I could see why some thought they wouldn’t. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think there is a real possibility Bears sell once Virginia dies. At least I hope so. How much is mark Cuban worth now 🤔

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

you're surprised how bad the panthers are? I'm surprised anyone is surprised by this. 

yes!! been saying this the whole time! 

Miles Sanders-- poop

Thielen- old

Chark- poop/never the same after injury

Hayden Hurst- haha

B Young- 5'11 195lbs rookie QB that had a loaded deck in college

Frank Reich- never starts a season well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

you're surprised how bad the panthers are? I'm surprised anyone is surprised by this. 

They are in a terrible division. I really expected them to play 500 in their division and then a few more games. I thought 6 wins was doable. Thought Young would play better as they had like USFL cast offs qbing last year. They’ve always had a decent defense and could run the ball even with Forman and Hubbard…but yikes it’s been bad…and yes Reict has been awful in putting them in position to win. I’m willing to admit when I am wrong but that team has well underperformed my expectations.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Lots of games left. Between bears and Carolina they will have a good chance at having #1. I figured the bears would win some games this year…although after the broncos game last week I could see why some thought they wouldn’t. 

Yep…I won’t count out the Giants, Jets, and Raiders yet though. I think the Bears won’t be bad enough to get it on their own though. If Moore keeps getting that wide open even Fields can throw to that. Moore looked like he was playing college corners last night…never seen NFL receiver get that open…looked like Ohio St days for Fields I’m sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

yes!! been saying this the whole time! 

Miles Sanders-- poop

Thielen- old

Chark- poop/never the same after injury

Hayden Hurst- haha

B Young- 5'11 195lbs rookie QB that had a loaded deck in college

Frank Reich- never starts a season well

Yep and that was the steal of the draft last year getting Carolina's first this year for Poles. Depending on how the season plays out the Bears will easily have a top 3 pick for the Carolina pick and depends on what Bears moving forward where the 2nd first round ends up.

Our schedule isn't the most difficult. Bye week is coming at perfect time. Offense has played well 2 games in a row and with time off we should get back our secondary and others we've missed the last two.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yep…I won’t count out the Giants, Jets, and Raiders yet though. I think the Bears won’t be bad enough to get it on their own though. If Moore keeps getting that wide open even Fields can throw to that. Moore looked like he was playing college corners last night…never seen NFL receiver get that open…looked like Ohio St days for Fields I’m sure.

I would keep the broncos on that list too. 

Moore is a beast. He almost had that fourth TD where he stepped out of bounds last night as well. One thing of note is that Tevin Jenkins is back from injury on the Bears o-line. They still aren’t good, but he makes them much better than they were. 

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep and that was the steal of the draft last year getting Carolina's first this year for Poles. Depending on how the season plays out the Bears will easily have a top 3 pick for the Carolina pick and depends on what Bears moving forward where the 2nd first round ends up.

Our schedule isn't the most difficult. Bye week is coming at perfect time. Offense has played well 2 games in a row and with time off we should get back our secondary and others we've missed the last two.

I thought Eberflus lost the locker room though?? 

• Like 1

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

I would keep the broncos on that list too. 

Moore is a beast. He almost had that fourth TD where he stepped out of bounds last night as well. One thing of note is that Tevin Jenkins is back from injury on the Bears o-line. They still aren’t good, but he makes them much better than they were. 

Moore is a beast…I’ve had him in fantasy for last 3 years on most my teams and even with broke down Cam and Darnold and Mayfield and even PJ Walker he was putting up numbers.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He did and still has to some. Why do you ask?

That didn’t look like a team that didn’t have full confidence in their coach. Funny they booted Chase Claypool, got rid of a bad assistant, and back to back weeks they’ve performed well (even in a loss last week). Not saying that Eberflus won’t get fired or shouldn’t but they’ve played much better after cleaning up the locker room some…and not getting rid of the coach. Which is what some had suggested that should happen since he already lost the locker room two weeks into the season.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1