2023 NFL Discussion

rico

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The Bears team quit on the staff yesterday. I was fully prepared to give them the next 4-5 games to see where things stand but after yesterday it's obvious the players just aren't listening to the staff and I don't blame them.

Fields being sent back onto the field after likely suffering a concussion down 38? The D has talent but just doesn't even look like a unit right now. That all goes back to Eberflus.

I'm going to say this and I know it's a weird take but here it goes. If I'm the McCaskeys I let Eberflus go this week if not today. It's obvious he's not a head coach. I probably have to keep Getsy just because of continuity but he can hit the road too. After that I get on my knees and beg Lovie Smith to come in and serve as a band aid for the year if he'll do it. 

All players love Lovie. Maybe someway to bridge the gap that is severely broken right now. Otherwise....this team has given up on current staff.

Why do that? Your season is likely a dumpster either way. Let the guy earn his paycheck this year and fire him at season end. Might as well lose as many games as you can to get the first pick again. Lovie already proved he will win games even when the front office wants him to lose last year.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Why do that? Your season is likely a dumpster either way. Let the guy earn his paycheck this year and fire him at season end. Might as well lose as many games as you can to get the first pick again. Lovie already proved he will win games even when the front office wants him to lose last year.

Why show that you have your players best interests as an organization? I'm confused why anyone would say I think it's great to keep a guy around that has lost the locker room. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't trade a 7th for Justin Fields. 

Maybe not a day 1 or 2 pick but day 3 sure. Funny thing is people were calling me crazy last year when I kept saying he was a bad qb…and they should move off him. Think he could have gotten them a mid first for sure on his upside but now everyone can see he takes way way too long to read a defense and he isn’t the most accurate passer to begin with. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Why show that you have your players best interests as an organization? I'm confused why anyone would say I think it's great to keep a guy around that has lost the locker room. 

Why keep players around that will quit on you. Show me who he lost and I’ll show you who can follow him out the door. I’m not saying you have to stick with him 17 weeks but it’s only been 3 weeks in…anyone that has given up on their coach in 3 weeks well they won’t be much good for you with the next one. The team is a long way away from being a winning organization…the next coach isn’t going to turn it around quickly so the problem guys will just continue to quit on the team. Best thing you can do right now is move your problem guys…start shipping out/cutting the dead weight and send a signal that it doesn’t matter if the team isn’t good…not giving maximum effort will cost your job…

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Why keep players around that will quit on you. Show me who he lost and I’ll show you who can follow him out the door. I’m not saying you have to stick with him 17 weeks but it’s only been 3 weeks in…anyone that has given up on their coach in 3 weeks well they won’t be much good for you with the next one. The team is a long way away from being a winning organization…the next coach isn’t going to turn it around quickly so the problem guys will just continue to quit on the team. Best thing you can do right now is move your problem guys…start shipping out/cutting the dead weight and send a signal that it doesn’t matter if the team isn’t good…not giving maximum effort will cost your job…

Why are the program's faults only being placed upon the shoulders of the players? I am not inside that locker room, so I can't point to exactly who is at fault, but from my vantage point, I can see/feel a drastically different energy than what existed in 2019-2021. There was palpable excitement and momentum then. I'm not sure if it was the Ole Miss bowl game, the Tennessee bowl game or the loss to Cincinnati, but something changed and we haven't been able to get that little bit of swagger back.

That's not just on the players. That's on the HC and his staff. The choices that they have made have not garnered confidence, and it feels like this is just a sinking ship.

I also think that we can reframe the thinking of a next coach's success -- things absolutely can turn around quickly. There is too much exposure, money and resources available for this not to be the case. We aren't LA Tech or UAB. (We aren't that good, lol) We can attract viable talent that wants to be in one of the two most powerful conferences.

5 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Why are the program's faults only being placed upon the shoulders of the players? I am not inside that locker room, so I can't point to exactly who is at fault, but from my vantage point, I can see/feel a drastically different energy than what existed in 2019-2021. There was palpable excitement and momentum then. I'm not sure if it was the Ole Miss bowl game, the Tennessee bowl game or the loss to Cincinnati, but something changed and we haven't been able to get that little bit of swagger back.

That's not just on the players. That's on the HC and his staff. The choices that they have made have not garnered confidence, and it feels like this is just a sinking ship.

I also think that we can reframe the thinking of a next coach's success -- things absolutely can turn around quickly. There is too much exposure, money and resources available for this not to be the case. We aren't LA Tech or UAB. (We aren't that good, lol) We can attract viable talent that wants to be in one of the two most powerful conferences.

Are we talking about the Bears or IU?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Fair catching it win the game for us. If he caught it and just ran a few yards then slide the block would have been under 2 minutes. We only had 1 time out so they could run the clock out. Also there penalty on 3rd down stopped the clock as well.

Did you read my post where I addressed both of those?

He would have had to burn 3 seconds with no blockers - possible, yes, but a fumble as 5 guys tackle you is also possible. 

Without the penalty, 40 seconds run off the clock, but we kicked the tying field goal with over 50 seconds and could have easily kicked it earlier. We were at the Baltimore 38 10 seconds after we got the ball back with the clock stopped (hit two quick OOB plays). 

I think that if Baltimore did everything perfectly they could have maybe managed to ice it, but our defense getting a very quick three and out, regardless of the clock issues, deserves a lot of praise. 

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Did you read my post where I addressed both of those?

He would have had to burn 3 seconds with no blockers - possible, yes, but a fumble as 5 guys tackle you is also possible. 

Without the penalty, 40 seconds run off the clock, but we kicked the tying field goal with over 50 seconds and could have easily kicked it earlier. We were at the Baltimore 38 10 seconds after we got the ball back with the clock stopped (hit two quick OOB plays). 

I think that if Baltimore did everything perfectly they could have maybe managed to ice it, but our defense getting a very quick three and out, regardless of the clock issues, deserves a lot of praise. 

It didn't take anything close to perfection to close us out. We should have lost that football game in regulation, then multiple times in OT if the Ravens, with their 50 million dollar QB, could move the ball 15 yards. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

It didn't take anything close to perfection to close us out. We should have lost that football game in regulation, then multiple times in OT if the Ravens, with their 50 million dollar QB, could move the ball 15 yards. 

Elaborate on why you think Steichen screwed up kicking it deep and got lucky please. I just don't see the events that lead to us not getting the ball back short of everything going perfectly for the Ravens or getting the first down. Break it down for me.

And in OT we would have scored at least a field goal if the refs called a penalty on the Ravens on either of the obvious ones, so I don't really buy that we got anymore of a break than they got to even get the ball in OT. 

@btownqb even if Baltimore doesn't fair catch the kick and the penalty doesn't happen, the Colts were at the Baltimore 35 with 1:31 to go... so take the 1:20 from those two and we are in field goal range with 10 seconds to go.

I think running 3 seconds off the clock on the kickoff return with no blockers and defenders about 15 yards away when you catch it is a little more challenging than you are admitting - there's a big fumble risk if he tries to stay on his feet that long and we had already forced how many?

I was in favor of SS kicking it deep at the time and it clearly worked out, but to say that we got lucky is saying you think our coach tried to put us in a position we shouldn't have been able to win from. I'm just not buying that at all.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Can the Colts win the AFC South?? This division is just so bad they may be able to.

I think they can... 

We knew Houston and Titans were bad before the year. I don't think Jacksonville is bad, but I think they're the same slightly above average team they were last year.

Colts look like we have a good but flawed roster, and a big improvement at QB and Head Coach over what we had last year. 

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

@btownqb even if Baltimore doesn't fair catch the kick and the penalty doesn't happen, the Colts were at the Baltimore 35 with 1:31 to go... so take the 1:20 from those two and we are in field goal range with 10 seconds to go.

I think running 3 seconds off the clock on the kickoff return with no blockers and defenders about 15 yards away when you catch it is a little more challenging than you are admitting - there's a big fumble risk if he tries to stay on his feet that long and we had already forced how many?

I was in favor of SS kicking it deep at the time and it clearly worked out, but to say that we got lucky is saying you think our coach tried to put us in a position we shouldn't have been able to win from. I'm just not buying that at all.

I don't really think it's debatable the returner should have ran 3 secs off the clock. Figure it out. Balt gets the ball with 2 mins to go... and the Colts had 1TO, correct? 

The Colts should have had about with about 25 secs to go with no TOs and pinned deep. Awful end-of-the-game execution by Baltimore. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think they can... 

We knew Houston and Titans were bad before the year. I don't think Jacksonville is bad, but I think they're the same slightly above average team they were last year.

Colts look like we have a good but flawed roster, and a big improvement at QB and Head Coach over what we had last year. 

and a slot WR that can get open on 3rd down

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't really think it's debatable the returner should have ran 3 secs off the clock. Figure it out. Balt gets the ball with 2 mins to go... and the Colts had 1TO, correct? 

The Colts should have had about with about 25 secs to go with no TOs and pinned deep. Awful end-of-the-game execution by Baltimore. 

I think it's debatable, Shane Steichen probably does too since he kicked it deep. I'm not gonna let you off the hook on this one though, you're saying you think we should have lost because our coach screwed up by kicking it deep?

You really think a rookie WR should have tried to fight for yardage with a wet ball and no blockers to run three seconds off the clock? There's no scenario he isn't getting hit 1-2 seconds before the two minute warning if he doesn't fair catch it, unless he was going to run backwards. 

But even if we get the ball with 25 seconds where we got it.... we were at the 35 yard line 10 seconds after we got the ball and really never moved it, made the field goal to tie from basically right there. Seems like we'd still have tied the game even if we didn't get either of those things breaking our way. 

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it's debatable, Shane Steichen probably does too since he kicked it deep. I'm not gonna let you off the hook on this one though, you're saying you think we should have lost because our coach screwed up by kicking it deep?

You really think a rookie WR should have tried to fight for yardage with a wet ball and no blockers to run three seconds off the clock? There's no scenario he isn't getting hit 1-2 seconds before the two minute warning if he doesn't fair catch it, unless he was going to run backwards. 

But even if we get the ball with 25 seconds where we got it.... we were at the 35 yard line 10 seconds after we got the ball and really never moved it, made the field goal to tie from basically right there. Seems like we'd still have tied the game even if we didn't get either of those things breaking our way. 

No ... not at all. We should have lost because any basic NFL team shouldn't be screwing up that situation at the end of a game. Like.. a JV team messing that up is understandable. An NFL team? No no no. 

And yes, 100% he should have run 3 secs off the clock. And I would have had him run backward some, it's worth it for the benefit. 

Your last paragraph with 25 secs left and no TOs changes the situation immensely than getting the ball where we did with 1:40 secs. BALT is able to completely change their defense in that situation. 

Not getting the penalty alone, probably ends us. We haven't even mentioned the shitty punt they got off. 

Edited by btownqb

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

and a slot WR that can get open on 3rd down

That has been a big improvement…Downs should help a lot if he continues to improve. Having a qb that can extend plays is important…if he improves his accuracy we can be a good team. I love Moss’s physicality but man some of those holes if JT was running through them we could have had huge plays with his breakaway ability. Not optimistic but hopeful we salvage something there…I think they would complement each other well.