2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Mark Friedenfels, CPCU,ARM,ALCM - Happily Retired - Liberty Mutual  Insurance | LinkedIn

That would be better. I don't share some stuff sometimes but will pass this one along. My buddy knows Cole Kmet's Dad pretty well. Dumpster fire from top to bottom inside. Only reason Cole is staying is he got paid...I expect Bears to be big sellers at trade deadline if we don't win a few here soon.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I have been a Bears fan longer than I have been an IU fan.

And this is just a bad bad football team. It's painful.

Three weeks into football season and I am already relegated to hoping the cubs hold on for a playoff spot and begging for IU basketball season to get revved up.

The Bears are sooooo bad. 

Same conversation just had with buddy getting some steps in. Pray for the Cubs to give us something. Haha...didn't think I'd be typing those words in June.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I actually think Fields can be pretty successful in the right situation but it’s clear the entire organization is a dumpster fire.

Yep. There is always some Coach who thinks they can be the difference. Just the same way there is always a GM who will pay a haul for #1 overall pick like we had last year.

Purely for conversation though. If the trainwreck continues there could be a situation where Bears could go Caleb and Marvin next year with getting Carolina's #1 because they aren't good either.  Might be an appealing option to Lincoln Riley.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That would be better. I don't share some stuff sometimes but will pass this one along. My buddy knows Cole Kmet's Dad pretty well. Dumpster fire from top to bottom inside. Only reason Cole is staying is he got paid...I expect Bears to be big sellers at trade deadline if we don't win a few here soon.

That’s very interesting to hear. Kmet is definitely in the “one that got away” category. Believe both his dad and uncle (Jeff Zgonina) played at Purdue. But can’t blame him for not wanting to play for Hazell. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I would love to hear more about this, but can appreciate your position and not wanting to disclose. I will say I'm not surprised to hear that.

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I would love to hear more about this, but can appreciate your position and not wanting to disclose. I will say I'm not surprised to hear that.

2020 almost broke the kid. I can't remember exact numbers but I think he had like 20-30 targets in first 10 games. The media started in on Nagy and they finally started throwing it to him but 2020 the kid was toast.

2021 was an increase but you had players and apparently their fathers openly criticizing Nagy. Players didn't even respect the guy almost to a point of making jokes about him in public.  Same vibe right now with Eberflus. 

Most players absolutely want to be coached and coached well....but when you lose their trust it's gone because they look at it like someone is messing with my next contract. Fair or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

2020 almost broke the kid. I can't remember exact numbers but I think he had like 20-30 targets in first 10 games. The media started in on Nagy and they finally started throwing it to him but 2020 the kid was toast.

2021 was an increase but you had players and apparently their fathers openly criticizing Nagy. Players didn't even respect the guy almost to a point of making jokes about him in public.  Same vibe right now with Eberflus. 

Most players absolutely want to be coached and coached well....but when you lose their trust it's gone because they look at it like someone is messing with my next contract. Fair or not. 

I remember the lack of targets and the criticism of Nagy for sure.

The trust is definitely gone with this team and Eberflus. You could see it from the Packers game on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Toilet bowl next week.

Bears vs Broncos

I can not remember a match up of two worse teams ever. 

As a Bears fan, it's just painful to watch how bad that team is. 

The Bears are at home, playing a winless team that just gave up 70 points last week... and the Bears are the underdog.

The question is not if the Bears are the worst organization in pro sports, it is by how much are the Bears the worst organization in pro sports?

I normally don't care about the Bears.... but after all we heard about how genius they were, how they were trending in the right direction, etc.... it is awfully funny to see how bad they are. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Colts could have and maybe should have lost yesterday..  but the way it stands now, the Colts have played really good football.. other than 4Q against JAX and for sure could be 3-0. 

With all the moving parts, JT being a b****, rookie QB, new HC, etc.. I'm pretty pleased through 3 games.  

Downs, Brents look like difference makers. 

I don't know about should have lost - I get the missed call in OT, but what about the prior possession when we could have won the game and 1) Pittman had a hand into his facemask take off his helmet on a catch and 2) AP got grabbed on the deep ball (our entire sidleline saw it and was irate). 

The refs definitely swallowed their whistles and it benefits us on the one call, but it benefited the Ravens on the other. I am personally not willing to say the refs favored anyone, they just swallowed their whistles IMO. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't know about should have lost - I get the missed call in OT, but what about the prior possession when we could have won the game and 1) Pittman had a hand into his facemask take off his helmet on a catch and 2) AP got grabbed on the deep ball (our entire sidleline saw it and was irate). 

The refs definitely swallowed their whistles and it benefits us on the one call, but it benefited the Ravens on the other. I am personally not willing to say the refs favored anyone, they just swallowed their whistles IMO. 

My take has nothing to do with the refs... but how royally the Ravens screwed up the game clock to end the 4th quarter. The Colts never should have gotten the ball back. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I agreed with you yesterday, but after thinking about it, I would let Eberflus and Getsy (and Poles) finish out the season, despite the obvious that Eberflus is clearly in over his head and nobody is buying into his "HITS" system. They are done for the year. I don't normally advocate for "tanking", but honestly, this team is such a disgrace and in such shambles right now, they don't have to tank to get the #1 overall pick.

I would try to trade Fields immediately. I doubt anyone would give up a second rounder for him at this point, but that would be my asking price. Would the Jets, Washington, or Atlanta bite? I think Atlanta might be the best system for him to play in of the three, but the Jets are perhaps desperate enough to try it. If you can only get a third round pick for him, you do it. He will never succeed with the Bears. I don't normally talk in absolutes, but I see the same look on him that Trubisky, Grossman, etc. had once their confidence was shattered. Trade Fields, see what Bagent can do. Most likely not much, but you got to find out. Peterman better never see the field.

I'm not sure if Kevin Warrren is just on board to navigate the new stadium deal, or if he is actually going to be making personal decisions, but if he is in charge, he needs to clean house after season and start from scratch. I am pessimistic that the McCaskeys will allow this to happen, but they need someone with an actual plan to rebuild this mess, and has the ability to evaluate talent. I'm not sure Poles is that guy...he claims he was going to build up the lines as a priority, yet here we are. I gave him benefit of the doubt until seeing the product on the field for 3 games this year, but now I am in the camp of he is in over his head.

Trey Lance fetched a 4 from Dallas. That’s probably the most you could expect, for a guy who is obviously (to everyone but the Bears) a backup quarterback. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Bingo. Don’t want to hear about it. 

Missed calls both ways, and the Ravens bitching about defensive holding or PI is really rich. They’ve been getting away with those since the Rex Ryan/Marvin Lewis days… Colts won, fair and square, without their QB, C, RB… 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Trey Lance fetched a 4 from Dallas. That’s probably the most you could expect, for a guy who is obviously (to everyone but the Bears) a backup quarterback. 

I think it just depends on how desperate a team is. Fields can probably start for the three teams I listed. I think he would for sure start for the Jets right now. If you get a OC or head coach who thinks he can fix him...you never know. I do think 3rd-5th rounder is most likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

My take has nothing to do with the refs... but how royally the Ravens screwed up the game clock to end the 4th quarter. The Colts never should have gotten the ball back. 

I mean, maybe. I think people have  overstated how bad that was...

We can all say it was dumb to fair catch, but they weren't expecting us to kick it deep and had no blocking. A fair catch is what you're coached to do there, and expecting a rookie to do something different or take on a bunch of guys and not fumble is risky. Even then - the clock said 2:03, so with no blocking it easily could have still had time outside the 2 minute warning.

Then we called timeout.

Then they had the penalty that stopped the clock, but without that, we still get the ball with over a minute and we kicked the tying field goal with 50 some odd seconds left. So not sure the clock issues really were a big deal.

I mean if everything breaks perfectly for the Ravens maybe we don't have much time left to get to a field goal, but things rarely break perfectly. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean, maybe. I think people have  overstated how bad that was...

We can all say it was dumb to fair catch, but they weren't expecting us to kick it deep and had no blocking. A fair catch is what you're coached to do there, and expecting a rookie to do something different or take on a bunch of guys and not fumble is risky. Even then - the clock said 2:03, so with no blocking it easily could have still had time outside the 2 minute warning.

Then we called timeout.

Then they had the penalty that stopped the clock, but without that, we still get the ball with over a minute and we kicked the tying field goal with 50 some odd seconds left. So not sure the clock issues really were a big deal.

I mean if everything breaks perfectly for the Ravens maybe we don't have much time left to get to a field goal, but things rarely break perfectly. 

Fair catching it win the game for us. If he caught it and just ran a few yards then slide the block would have been under 2 minutes. We only had 1 time out so they could run the clock out. Also there penalty on 3rd down stopped the clock as well.

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Fair catching it win the game for us. If he caught it and just ran a few yards then slide the block would have been under 2 minutes. We only had 1 time out so they could run the clock out. Also there penalty on 3rd down stopped the clock as well.

And ironically, McKenzie not fair catching almost cost the Colts the game. Letting the ball bounce down to the 2 yard line was a huge mistake when he could have caught it at the 12. Frankly, when Minshew stepped out of the back of the end zone I figured that the game was over. Went out and did some yard work and came in to find the game still on. I think I saw the last 3 series 

10 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

I officially retract my ridicule of Ballard’s Matt Gay acquisition. I have been very critical of his free agency moves, or lack there of, but this one was solid. 

I had no problem with it. Figured with a young qb we would have a lot of drives stall and need to kick fgs. 

Kinda like when we signed Vinetari go get someone automatic.