2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Our problem is we are in no man’s land with this team. Not bad enough to tank and likely not good enough to compete for a playoff spot. We need a decisive GM that is willing to be bold and make a big move. Cut bait and stock up for next year or go out and get some OL help. Personally this team as constructed I don’t see it happening under Sam. Probably play good for a couple weeks but once teams have tape they will expose his weaknesses. Exactly what we see in NE. 

Move guys like Gilmore, Moore, Ngakoue, Stewart, Buckner, and McLeod. They aren’t guys we will build around for our future and play positions that many teams could use help with. I doubt anyone is giving us anything of value for our OL so I would bring those guys back and hope a system change helps them. If he could move Ryan…my God that would be amazing. Accumulate draft capital. To move up and get a qb is going to take multiple first rd picks likely…having the extra later rd picks will help us fill the holes in the next couple years with not having a first rd pick. Hope to get lucky on a few.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Our problem is we are in no man’s land with this team. Not bad enough to tank and likely not good enough to compete for a playoff spot. We need a decisive GM that is willing to be bold and make a big move. Cut bait and stock up for next year or go out and get some OL help. Personally this team as constructed I don’t see it happening under Sam. Probably play good for a couple weeks but once teams have tape they will expose his weaknesses. Exactly what we see in NE. 

Move guys like Gilmore, Moore, Ngakoue, Stewart, Buckner, and McLeod. They aren’t guys we will build around for our future and play positions that many teams could use help with. I doubt anyone is giving us anything of value for our OL so I would bring those guys back and hope a system change helps them. If he could move Ryan…my God that would be amazing. Accumulate draft capital. To move up and get a qb is going to take multiple first rd picks likely…having the extra later rd picks will help us fill the holes in the next couple years with not having a first rd pick. Hope to get lucky on a few.

So, basically gut the one unit of the team that is playing well? To take a chance that a franchise quarterback falls to you in the draft? And then go through the growing pains every rookie qb experiences?

No thanks 

• Like 1

I'm out on selling any of our dudes in season. In the offseason, we can move on from one of Smith or Kelly's contracts, that would be great and move Hines, Jackson is better. Kenny Moore probably doesn't need another contract either, and maybe he would be a solid trade candidate this year. 

If you move Smith, you could move Raimann to RT and draft a LT in the 2nd. 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me Stroud and Young are really good college QB's, I don't think either one would be considered sure fire franchise quarterbacks. In the past the Colts got lucky being bad at the same time can't miss QB was in the draft.

"got lucky"... I would say, more like, "picked the correct QB". Chargers and Redskins didn't get too lucky in those drafts. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"got lucky"... I would say, more like, "picked the correct QB". Chargers and Redskins didn't get too lucky in those drafts. 

Just saying were lucky to be in a situation to where we could draft those two. In 97 everybody thought Manning was coming out in the draft which would mean he wouldn't have been there in 98. Also it just happened that Manning got hurt the year that Luck was going to be in the draft.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying were lucky to be in a situation to where we could draft those two. In 97 everybody thought Manning was coming out in the draft which would mean he wouldn't have been there in 98. Also it just happened that Manning got hurt the year that Luck was going to be in the draft.

Right. We also were smart to let Manning walk knowing Luck was there. 

Still funny there were Colts fan saying "sign them both"... shew

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, basically gut the one unit of the team that is playing well? To take a chance that a franchise quarterback falls to you in the draft? And then go through the growing pains every rookie qb experiences?

No thanks 

Do you think this is a team that can contend for a Super Bowl under Sam? Yes or no? If no then what are you doing? If yes…which I think we all thought we had a chance (albeit long one) with Ryan before the season then go for it. Almost all of the guys I listed will be a free agent this year or next. We have to take a step back to take a step forward. You know…the same way you get a tire out of a hole…you rock back to create enough momentum when you come forward to roll out. It’s how I look at it. However my job isn’t on the line and I’m a patient person but we’ve delayed the inevitable long enough. If we would have taken the hit and invested in a young qb a few years ago instead of doing the Rivers, Wentz, Ryan thing we might be sitting here with Herbert or deciding if Tua or Hurts or Wilson or Fields is our guy or not. I get it you don’t want to destroy your defense but these are guys that are not on rookie contracts and will bring a decent return while not gut our youth. It’s almost impossible to keep your team really competitive and still land a franchise qb…evidence being we haven’t done that since Luck left. We landed two franchise qbs in the last 24 years…and that was because we tanked and had an awful football team after going into rebuild mode. 

The alternative is more likely we would be a .500 football team…and b!tvhing and moaning every other week and sorely disappointed first week of the playoffs when we aren’t there.

Edited by dgambill

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. We also were smart to let Manning walk knowing Luck was there. 

Still funny there were Colts fan saying "sign them both"... shew

Or you could have traded the Luck pick for a kings ransom. Do we win a SB…probably not but in the end we would have kept the greatest player to wear a Colts jersey…won a bunch of games and would have planned when Peyton was retiring instead of being blind sided when Luck retired early and left in no man’s land because the guy didn’t love the game enough to want to rehab his injuries like Peyton did when the worse of them he caused himself skiing in the offseason.

Edited by dgambill

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do you think this is a team that can contend for a Super Bowl under Sam? Yes or no? If no then what are you doing? If yes…which I think we all thought we had a chance (albeit long one) with Ryan before the season then go for it. Almost all of the guys I listed will be a free agent this year or next. We have to take a step back to take a step forward. You know…the same way you get a tire out of a hole…you rock back to create enough momentum when you come forward to roll out. It’s how I look at it. However my job isn’t on the line and I’m a patient person but we’ve delayed the inevitable long enough. If we would have taken the hit and invested in a young qb a few years ago instead of doing the Rivers, Wentz, Ryan thing we might be sitting here with Herbert or deciding if Tua or Hurts or Wilson or Fields is our guy or not. I get it you don’t want to destroy your defense but these are guys that are not on rookie contracts and will bring a decent return while not gut our youth. It’s almost impossible to keep your team really competitive and still land a franchise qb…evidence being we haven’t done that since Luck left. We landed two franchise qbs in the last 24 years…and that was because we tanked and had an awful football team after going into rebuild mode. 

The alternative is more likely we would be a .500 football team…and b!tvhing and moaning every other week and sorely disappointed first week of the playoffs when we aren’t there.

I don't disagree that we need to get a franchise quarterback. I disagree with gutting the defense and putting more pressure on a rookie to be the savior of the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Redskins drafted Cousins…Wilson also went later that year that’s pretty lucky and if Shanahan probably had his way would have been the only qb they took that year. That said nobody was honestly taking Leaf over Manning or RG3 over Luck…that noise is all media and GM spin. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don't disagree that we need to get a franchise quarterback. I disagree with gutting the defense and putting more pressure on a rookie to be the savior of the team. 

Those guys are replaceable…they are mostly expiring deals or a deal with 1 year left.  You will have to replace them anyways. So those picks will be used on protecting the new qb and building a young defense around him that is on the same timeline. Unless you think we keep everyone and still somehow land a franchise qb from the middle of the first round.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Redskins drafted Cousins…Wilson also went later that year that’s pretty lucky and if Shanahan probably had his way would have been the only qb they took that year. That said nobody was honestly taking Leaf over Manning or RG3 over Luck…that noise is all media and GM spin. 

Or Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.  :coffee:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I heard some say that they would have taken Leaf

Gm’s? I have never seen that. Only various media report a couple unnamed GMs would…all for clicks but never anyone on record then or looking back now said they would have.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Gm’s? I have never seen that. Only various media report a couple unnamed GMs would…all for clicks but never anyone on record then or looking back now said they would have.

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/peyton-manning-week-draft-manning-ryan-leaf 

This article said it bwas 50/50 in the Colts office. Said they polled 20 GM's and 14 said they would have taken Leaf