2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Get the injury and not being able to play this coming week. The permanent benching comes off to me like something directed by higher than Reich. Just last week, Ryan was being lauded for such a stellar game. One week later, benched?

This doesn't pass the smell test with me, and seems like something that an irrational owner would dictate.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Get the injury and not being able to play this coming week. The permanent benching comes off to me like something directed by higher than Reich. Just last week, Ryan was being lauded for such a stellar game. One week later, benched?

This doesn't pass the smell test with me, and seems like something that an irrational owner would dictate.

I personally just think Matt Ryan sucks and they are starting Sam Ehlinger because he can at least make plays with his legs. 

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Jim Irsay is a rational owner and had went out of his way to not be like his father. His dad went to the locker room at halftime to fire a coach but Jim talked him out of it. To me he has been more than patient with both Reich and Ballard.

Over the last 4 years they spent over 100 million on the QB position and still don't have the answer at that position.

• Like 2

Stable QB situations in NFL

NFC East:  Hurts, Dak

NFC North: Cousins

NFC South: None

NFC West:  Murray, Stafford (for now)

AFC East:  Allen, M. Jones, Tua (pending health)

AFC North: Jackson, Burrow

AFC South: Lawrence

AFC West:  Mahomes, Herbert, Carr

That's only 14 out of 32 teams, and a couple of those selections were generous.

Colts need to hit a HR in the draft.  The odds of finding the right guy via trade or free agency is slim.  Of the 14 listed, I believe Cousins and Stafford are the only two not playing for the team that originally drafted them.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Colts need to hit a HR in the draft.  The odds of finding the right guy via trade or free agency is slim.  Of the 14 listed, I believe Cousins and Stafford are the only two not playing for the team that originally drafted them.

Trade for Zappe.

Edited by jv1972iu

The Titans drafted Malik Willis in the 3rd round.  They were honest to themselves that Tannehill was not the ultimate answer in a 3-5 year plan.

The Colts broke camp with Matt Ryan and Nick Foles.  Seems to me that it could have been justified to pick a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don't know about irrational owner, but I think it may be an owner that has different goals than the GM and head coach. 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Titans drafted Malik Willis in the 3rd round.  They were honest to themselves that Tannehill was not the ultimate answer in a 3-5 year plan.

The Colts broke camp with Matt Ryan and Nick Foles.  Seems to me that it could have been justified to pick a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

But there has to be someone you like to do it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They weren't interested in any of them this draft. We also absolutely drafted other areas of need with the picks in those rounds, along with the 4th. 

It's also possible we liked Sam more than those we could have drafted in those rounds. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What?  No Watson?

3,257 Massage African American Man Images, Stock Photos & Vectors |  Shutterstock

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just my two cents. Irsay has gone out of his way to accommodate the Colts QB position since Luck quit. I think he's a guy who says hey man I've only got a few more seasons to go. I need to fix this. 

For the record I thought Matt Ryan would be a perfect fit. Cerebral and has 60,000 yards under his belt. Starting to think Frank Reich is the issue. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my two cents. Irsay has gone out of his way to accommodate the Colts QB position since Luck quit. I think he's a guy who says hey man I've only got a few more seasons to go. I need to fix this. 

For the record I thought Matt Ryan would be a perfect fit. Cerebral and has 60,000 yards under his belt. Starting to think Frank Reich is the issue. 

I wish I could agree with this. Well, I can agree that Reich has significant culpability in all this underachieving (IMO). But Ryan - despite his excellent career - was clearly diminished I thought. Much more observably so that the level Rivers had lost off his prime, for example.

I'm surprised it didn't occur to Irsay/Ballard/Reich that the fact that he is a statue at this stage wouldn't bode well for his fit here. I mean, when was the last time this o-line actually pass protected well? Rivers, despite the record and playoff appearance, was constantly under duress, taking shots and sacks way too often. And I'm surprised they felt confident in this o-line personnel coming into this year to improve on pass protection regardless of who was behind center.

All seems to be adding up to a lot of incompetence/negligence on the part of all three of those guys.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

I wish I could agree with this. Well, I can agree that Reich has significant culpability in all this underachieving (IMO). But Ryan - despite his excellent career - was clearly diminished I thought. Much more observably so that the level Rivers had lost off his prime, for example.

I'm surprised it didn't occur to Irsay/Ballard/Reich that the fact that he is a statue at this stage wouldn't bode well for his fit here. I mean, when was the last time this o-line actually pass protected well? Rivers, despite the record and playoff appearance, was constantly under duress, taking shots and sacks way too often. And I'm surprised they felt confident in this o-line personnel coming into this year to improve on pass protection regardless of who was behind center.

All seems to be adding up to a lot of incompetence/negligence on the part of all three of those guys.

Agree with most. Owner hires guys to deliver. Guys don't deliver....and when I say guys I mean the Oline as well. Louis Riddick who I love said earlier today the Colts are the most disappointing team of league. Blasted OLine, Taylor's touches,etc....

Only so much room in the head though. I'm a Bears fan. I've got my own issues going on 25 years minus 3 seasons. 

• Like 4