2023 NFL Discussion

rico

21 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Cannot be the franchise quarterback when you are constantly injured. Luck was injured not of his own doing but due to poor O-line play. Richardson is getting hurt by his own actions and/or the play calling putting him in vulnerable positions. 

As of now Stroud is the best of the three early pick quarterbacks and it’s not even close 

I would argue Luck was more reckless than AR. AR has been hurt on designed QB runs all three times, not sure you can blame him for the play call. He already slides and runs out of bounds more than Luck ever did. 

Stroud looks great, so does AR. He's had three different minorish fluky injuries, don't think it's really fair to hold that against him when evaluating the two of them. 

• Like 1

Colts next 4 I see 2-2 at worse and real chance at 3-1. No guarantees in NFL. Upsets, poor play happen all the time (see Ravens)...but I'm liking what I'm seeing from Steichen. Get a couple guys healthy on D and start stacking wins with or without AR.

Should have paid more attention to the Ginshew signing when it happened. Steichen knew he had a rookie qb and needed a proven vet who knows his system. Apparently Ginshew is the go to guy for other players on things too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Colts next 4 I see 2-2 at worse and real chance at 3-1. No guarantees in NFL. Upsets, poor play happen all the time (see Ravens)...but I'm liking what I'm seeing from Steichen. Get a couple guys healthy on D and start stacking wins with or without AR.

Should have paid more attention to the Ginshew signing when it happened. Steichen knew he had a rookie qb and needed a proven vet who knows his system. Apparently Ginshew is the go to guy for other players on things too.

Ginshew?  I call him Cashew.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I would argue Luck was more reckless than AR. AR has been hurt on designed QB runs all three times, not sure you can blame him for the play call. He already slides and runs out of bounds more than Luck ever did. 

Stroud looks great, so does AR. He's had three different minorish fluky injuries, don't think it's really fair to hold that against him when evaluating the two of them. 

I think the early injury struggles point to two things moving forward:

1) Despite some of the issues being simply "chance/freak injuries", Colts have to be thinking about how much they want to expose him in the running game, even if on designed QB runs.

2) AR needs to keep improving in how to protect himself in those instances. Yes, he's shown he has some awareness of sliding of late. On the other hand, I thought on the hit where he sustained the concussion it had a lot to do with his own unawareness of what was around him/possibly celebrating and/or letting up too soon because he realized he would score.

Honestly, at this early point in AR's development, I think we have as good or better chances to win some games with Minshew starting just based on experience and guile. But it's still missed developmental time for AR and it definitely takes away an explosive threat. Hopefully the o-line continues to be strong and a two-headed monster of Taylor and Moss can feast. I really think Moss needs to remain involved. He's earned it can lessen the wear and tear on Taylor.

On 10/8/2023 at 2:26 PM, rico said:

Well that play usually succeeds 99.9% of the time in that situation.  lol

On paper that play does…on the field it works…but then can you execute it at 99.9% even when it works…with the defender rushing you, can the qb not stumble, can he put the pass right on him and can he catch it…the play can work but the execution still has to be there. I just wish though that they would take the points more often though. So early in games I see IU and the Colts do stuff like that. Not only do the points add up and it’s better than a drive netting nothing but it’s a huge momentum shifting play.

• Like 1