2023 NFL Discussion

rico

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Games like this are the reason why I say Bengals had a nice year last year....but nowhere near Chiefs, Bills. 

There's no question that the ball bounced favorably for the Bengals last season.  I think that's pretty standard for teams making the Super Bowl.  They also survived physically as in not too many injuries.  So far this year things haven't gone quite as smoothly as they would like...but you keep playing.  Divisional games are always tough and the Browns have been particularly difficult since Burrow arrived.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

There's no question that the ball bounced favorably for the Bengals last season.  I think that's pretty standard for teams making the Super Bowl.  They also survived physically as in not too many injuries.  So far this year things haven't gone quite as smoothly as they would like...but you keep playing.  Divisional games are always tough and the Browns have been particularly difficult since Burrow arrived.

War of attrition 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I agree....just a bad night I guess but wow. Didn't see that coming at all. 

I had a bad feeling going into the game.  It increased after the Bengals opening drive was blown up by Burrow's nemesis Miles Garrett.  Then their final drive of the half fizzled out with the missed fg...only leading to the Browns closing the half with a made fg.  It was a very bad night.  Five more sacks of Burrow has me believing the questions about the O-line are still very relevant... and concerning.  No run game, poor special teams, defense and offense both weren't good.  Ugh.  I hope they can get a wild card spot, but right now it seems like a stretch honestly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Absolutely. Was just talking about that with a buddy Sunday. Looking at the Rams and less than 9 months ago they were Super Bowl champs.....life can change pretty fast. 

Well they lost a hall of fame left tackle, HOF pass rusher, a perfect fit wr, and added a past his prime slowing overpaid linebacker. Their OL is in shambles like ours. Just not a recipe to win. Cincy, Rams, Colts, Denver, TB all have talented playmakers coming into the year and all have OL issues that limit their success. It’s a common theme. You have to find what you are good at and adapt. Dallas also started the year with an awful OL as well…but to their credit they have transformed into a hard nosed running team and pivoted to their lines strength. It’s frustrating for us though is we can’t run or pass protect with this line. Insane. Think we need a whole new system all together as these guys just are not excelling and given their contracts…aren’t movable so bring in someone else that has a vision of how to get more out of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't really blame anyone, nor will I. 

No doubt it lays on Reich's shoulders ultimately. I am fine moving on from him, I think we can upgrade there. Maybe Bubba Ventrone is the guy? Idk. I certainly wouldn't mind Sean Payton. 

I personally think we've got to move on from both Ballard and Reich. I've been generally supportive, but we've tied up a lot of money in positions that don't matter and those guys are now regressing too.

I totally get that in some regards Ballard and Reich were dealt a bad hand with Luck retiring so suddenly and that would derail a lot of GM/HC combos, but at some point it's been several years and we've hardly made the playoffs and haven't won a division. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

News has been all over Twitter that Hines is getting dealt today. Keefer and Holder both mentioned it. This move makes A LOT of sense.... we can use Rodgers or Dulin or anyone to return punts. Move Jackson to RB2, dump Hines salary, and then gain a pick. 

Makes a ton of sense for how we've used him. Dude hasn't had enough touches for 1.5 years now for what we pay him. 

For my Bears brethren. We sit at 3-5. Starting to show some signs of life with Fields. My post is two fold. First...if we beat Miami (who Detroit had)....the next 4 games aren't necessarily the toughest. We would have Lions, Falcons, Jets, Packers....maybe a stretch where we could stack some wins? 

On the flip side of that though. If we lose or continue to be in bottom tier of league record wise that's not the worst thing in the world. If we end up say in top 5-7 range of draft imagine the haul we could get for teams wanting to trade up and get their QB. Combine that with picks we already have and cap space I'm suddenly starting to like where things are trending long term.

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I personally think we've got to move on from both Ballard and Reich. I've been generally supportive, but we've tied up a lot of money in positions that don't matter and those guys are now regressing too.

I totally get that in some regards Ballard and Reich were dealt a bad hand with Luck retiring so suddenly and that would derail a lot of GM/HC combos, but at some point it's been several years and we've hardly made the playoffs and haven't won a division. 

Makes perfect sense. Reich has a had BAD losses. 

The bold I don't agree with because I don't think we can beat KC and the Bills by trying to be like them. We cannot pay 3 positions on the OL and one of them NOT be a LT, though, no question in my mind with how we've seen this thing shake out. 

I am not going to be mad if we move on from Ballard, I think he is very good at his job, though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Makes a ton of sense for how we've used him. Dude hasn't had enough touches for 1.5 years now for what we pay him. 

Correct. When we gave him that contract he was coming off a 60-70 catch season.... so, Jackson is just a better fit for how we are using our RB2, basically. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Makes perfect sense. Reich has a had BAD losses. 

The bold I don't agree with because I don't think we can beat KC and the Bills by trying to be like them. We cannot pay 3 positions on the OL and one of them NOT be a LT, though, no question in my mind with how we've seen this thing shake out. 

I am not going to be mad if we move on from Ballard, I think he is very good at his job, though. 

I don't think we have to use those teams same formula, we don't have a QB like them, but you said it yourself - we have the highest paid offensive line in the league but we are terrible at the most important spot on the line.

I would stop short of very good on Ballard, but I don't think he is bad. I think he's great at drafting and evaluating talent, but not so much at managing decisions in terms of who to give contracts to, what free agents to go spend money on, etc. Basically... great talent evaluator, not great at the business side of it IMO. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Correct. When we gave him that contract he was coming off a 60-70 catch season.... so, Jackson is just a better fit for how we are using our RB2, basically. 

It will kill me a little if his last game was the first time we've thrown him a wheel route in I can't remember how long. He should get one of those a game with how hard he is for linebackers and safeties to cover. 

• Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

It will kill me a little if his last game was the first time we've thrown him a wheel route in I can't remember how long. He should get one of those a game with how hard he is for linebackers and safeties to cover. 

No doubt. I will legit miss having him. I like him. I grow attached to players, no doubt. 

• Like 1