Weather events

Reacher

Miracle of all miracles...power came back on 10 minutes after a thunderstorm passed...

I think Entergy spewed that Monday BS line thinking earlier would make everybody forgive and forget...

Ah, ok...what the hell...Mickey, give me your biggest steak and a bottle of Löwenbräu 😁

• Like 2

On 7/10/2024 at 10:16 AM, Reacher said:

I'll be looking for a backup generator or battery backup in my next home. I fear outages are just going to get worse as infrastructure ages and qualified repairmen become more scarce. 

When we bought our house in FL it came with a whole house generator connected to a natural gas line. Wonderful during power outages, especially after hurricane Ian. 

After Ian, we put a table and power strip on the front porch so neighbors could charge their phones. At one point, I looked out and saw an aquarium on the porch and thought WTH? A neighbor kid brought their tortoise over that had to stay under a heat lamp. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

BTW, I read that Houston tower had limited power earlier this morning and was operating on one freq only and was only allowing priority aircraft to land. Is this Cat 1 really that bad? 

This one was I guess...

On 7/12/2024 at 1:00 AM, HoosierFaithful said:

Based on my google search and FLA’s… lived experience during a power outage… I’m gonna go with 10k generators are the exception not the rule 

You can get a small generac for $5000 but whole house backup generators or battery power walls seem to generally be about 10k add in installation and an extra battery and 15k is about the norm. You can get a 30% tax credit on battery though but they may only last 10-15 years. 

Small generators to power a single appliance can start around $500.

All depends on how often and long your power goes out and how well prepared you want to be... Seems like a lot of Florida people do have whole house systems to deal with the hurricanes. I know some elderly people install them so refrigerated medicines stay cold. 

I installed a level 2 charger in my garage. I thought $400 wasn't bad for the charger but electrical supplies (pipe and wire) ran another $300 (for a 20 ft run!) and another $300 for the electrician. Ended up around $1000 and got a couple hundred tax credit 

29 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You can get a small generac for $5000 but whole house backup generators or battery power walls seem to generally be about 10k add in installation and an extra battery and 15k is about the norm. You can get a 30% tax credit on battery though but they may only last 10-15 years. 

Small generators to power a single appliance can start around $500.

All depends on how often and long your power goes out and how well prepared you want to be... Seems like a lot of Florida people do have whole house systems to deal with the hurricanes. I know some elderly people install them so refrigerated medicines stay cold. 

I installed a level 2 charger in my garage. I thought $400 wasn't bad for the charger but electrical supplies (pipe and wire) ran another $300 (for a 20 ft run!) and another $300 for the electrician. Ended up around $1000 and got a couple hundred tax credit 

A lot depends on how much discomfort you’re willing to put up with for the short term. What do you consider necessities, what can you do without short term? Do you REALLY need whole house backup? My answer would be nobody REALLY needs that, but are they willing to put up with the life compromises and discomforts? I have a 700WH power pack for camping. As far as I’m concerned, that’s all I need for a power outage. But that’s just me. 🤪 

Oh, and if things get really crazy long term. I have a solar panel to recharge.

Edited by Drroogh

Posted (edited)

Violent night in N IL. A dozen or more tornadoes? 

This pic from my backyard. Luckily not on my property so my cleanup shouldn't be too bad.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/weather/dozens-of-circulations-reported-as-chicago-area-storms-spark-multiple-tornadoes-at-the-same-time/3490971/

20240715_215232.thumb.jpg.37cf71aa1ed7242d68f793a37ce2f135.jpg

10 simultaneous tornadoes-

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/heat-advisory-in-chicago-with-severe-storms-monday-night/

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Since July 15, I've had 3 days with measurable rain. It's only supposed to rain once between now and Labor Day. 

Weather sucks sometimes. 

I don't how old you are, I'm 39 and from Southern Indiana 

I miss the rolling thunderstorms we used to have.

On 8/19/2024 at 8:11 PM, pinkroync said:

I don't how old you are, I'm 39 and from Southern Indiana 

I miss the rolling thunderstorms we used to have.

I miss the heatwave/drought-busting storms that would knock the temperature down about 20 degrees. Now we just get some light rain and the temperature takes several days to cool down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I miss the heatwave/drought-busting storms that would knock the temperature down about 20 degrees. Now we just get some light rain and the temperature takes several days to cool down. 

Here in Chicagoland. We were mid/upper 90s and big storms moved in. Tons of lightning, heavy rain in spots and the outflow from the thunderstorms felt like a blast of A/C. 

Cooler and dropping temps for the rest of the week