Weather events

Reacher

21 minutes ago, pinkroync said:

Just had a funnel cloud pass over my house from Beryls remnants. I could see some rotation reaching toward the ground about a mile or so east after it passed. 

Stay safe.

• Thanks 1

For all the grief that weather forecasters get, they were 100% correct on how this would affect Indiana: tornado threat for the southern half of the state, heavy rain pummeling the northwest part of the state, a great big nothing-burger for northeastern Indiana. 

We don't get hurricane remnants around here too often, and I was looking forward to getting some much-needed rain. Thanks for nothing, Beryl. (what the hell kind of name is that anyway?)

3 hours ago, pinkroync said:

Just had a funnel cloud pass over my house from Beryls remnants. I could see some rotation reaching toward the ground about a mile or so east after it passed. 

Glad it missed you...they seriously underestimated Beryl down here...they're saying 50% of us could get our electricity back on by late tomorrow...

Friday for the rest...

My wife said we should get a hotel or a generator...I told her 2 million people were shopping for those 2 things today...

Struck out on both 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Glad it missed you...they seriously underestimated Beryl down here...they're saying 50% of us could get our electricity back on by late tomorrow...

Friday for the rest...

My wife said we should get a hotel or a generator...I told her 2 million people were shopping for those 2 things today...

Struck out on both 

Are you using the Whatabuger App to track power outages?

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Are you using the Whatabuger App to track power outages?

Lol, no. My electricity provider, Entergy, has a good tracking app...more bad news than good right now on it. Saying it could be Sunday before some people get power.

Nothing beside HEB or Kroger are even open...and I guess some Whataburgers 🙂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Lol, no. My electricity provider, Entergy, has a good tracking app...more bad news than good right now on it. Saying it could be Sunday before some people get power.

Nothing beside HEB or Kroger are even open...and I guess some Whataburgers 🙂

I'll be looking for a backup generator or battery backup in my next home. I fear outages are just going to get worse as infrastructure ages and qualified repairmen become more scarce. 

• Like 1

I was in Bloomington two weeks or so ago when they had a bad storm roll thru - lost power for ~24h.  Wasn’t a big deal, the rain brought cooler temps, but it made me think about back home on the west coast and what would happen ^^ and am considering a generator as well just for peace of mind.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I was in Bloomington two weeks or so ago when they had a bad storm roll thru - lost power for ~24h.  Wasn’t a big deal, the rain brought cooler temps, but it made me think about back home on the west coast and what would happen ^^ and am considering a generator as well just for peace of mind.  

I'm going to get a Generlink to hook a generator up too. More expensive than a transfer switch, but much less time to install so it evens out. I figure a $1,000 Westinghouse dual fuel generator and this I can get out for around $2,500 and power the whole house

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm going to get a Generlink to hook a generator up too. More expensive than a transfer switch, but much less time to install so it evens out. I figure a $1,000 Westinghouse dual fuel generator and this I can get out for around $2,500 and power the whole house

Champion has a nice competitively priced dual fuel generator you might want to check into.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Champion has a nice competitively priced dual fuel generator you might want to check into.

I just missed on a 4000 watt Champion in Liberty. Drove 50 miles just to see a guy walk out past me with the last one..

But I did see what one of the mods has going as a side hustle 🙂 

PXL_20240710_195036686.thumb.jpg.fdfed59460cb5b0ac67f217031797399.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 4

This has been one wreck of a week...

After trying to find a generator and/or a hotel room for Monday and Tuesday nights, and having to just suck it up and stay in our house, I literally had to buy a generator off of a guy selling a flatbed trailer full of them in Walmart's parking lot. He wasn't price gouging...sold them at a fair price...$1350 and no tax (Home Depot had the same ones advertised on their website for $1386)...

So I did get it set up and running...we have one room that we have a portable AC unit my wife bought at Aldi (yes, Aldi) and it keeps that room pretty nice...pulled a mattress in there and finally got some sleep...

Gas stations and anyplace selling water, ice, or propane are a zoo. 

They've given us a no later date for our power being back on of Sunday the 14th...

PXL_20240710_224158128.thumb.jpg.17c26b2b7e9224129bba72b7c16f4f72.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

This has been one wreck of a week...

After trying to find a generator and/or a hotel room for Monday and Tuesday nights, and having to just suck it up and stay in our house, I literally had to buy a generator off of a guy selling a flatbed trailer full of them in Walmart's parking lot. He wasn't price gouging...sold them at a fair price...$1350 and no tax (Home Depot had the same ones advertised on their website for $1386)...

So I did get it set up and running...we have one room that we have a portable AC unit my wife bought at Aldi (yes, Aldi) and it keeps that room pretty nice...pulled a mattress in there and finally got some sleep...

Gas stations and anyplace selling water, ice, or propane are a zoo. 

They've given us a no later date for our power being back on of Sunday the 14th...

PXL_20240710_224158128.thumb.jpg.17c26b2b7e9224129bba72b7c16f4f72.jpg

11050 watt for that price, during an emergency... Really? did you get his address, because that is insane.

I'm going to make a very unfavorable commet later in this thread, but this is one hell of a deal. The last big outage in Indiana (about a year ago? ish), I could only find ONE, 2500W (I think) for ~ $750. It will barely run the refrigerator and only if you reset it several times. 

BTW, I read that Houston tower had limited power earlier this morning and was operating on one freq only and was only allowing priority aircraft to land. Is this Cat 1 really that bad? 

7 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

man, if IUFLA is unprepared, I am royally F'ed if anything happens

As I warned IUFLA, here is my, what is probably taken as, a very unfavorable post about home Generators.

We have an outage once a year, maybe twice, for 1 hour or 19. Spend $10,000 to not have to live like every one of our extended parents in the history of mankind. I know it feels terrible, the day after we have been removed from the Teet (of electricity), But just like a baby calf... They grow up big and strong. May have sweaty balls, but that is better than the ROI on $10k of a generator that we will use for 4-18 hours every 2 years.

THAT is some really expensive convenience, which makes us look real really soft. How did humans ever survive? ..... 

End of rant, probably.  

58 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I mean, I live in Phoenix, if we ever have a power outage like Houston is having now, something insane like 1% of the population dies in a week.

also who's buyin a $10k generator??

You didn't reply to me, but you apparently replied to me.

Yes, Phoenix isn't named that for no reason at all. How did ppl live without air, for the last 1000+ yrs?

Transfer switch, electrician, fuel supply or plumbing of gas, training on how to use a dumb whole house generator vs a smart seamless auto transferring generator.

Can you (we) get in for less than 10k? and it's reliable? Won't burn out the AC or fridge due to being off mHz. ?

My point was the ROI. 10k for 1- 10 hrs of use a year or two seems, you have more money than sense. It's a total convenience thing, which I get (if ya got that cash). 

1% die in a week. That is 16,000+ ppl in Phoenix per week? . Really? Really?   

Can "I" buy a $1,000 unit and run some extension cords, sure. But that ain't going to power your 220v AC in Phoenix. What am I missing? The ROI totally sucks.    

Generators aside for a moment...

My youngest lives in Kingwood, and they don't have power either right now, which I found strange being that Kingwood is an upscale place...her husband's grandmother is very well connected in the community, and this is what she was told...

Centerpoint (her electric company) is "negotiating pricing" and haven't been sending people to fix the lines. Only to be on site when they come to an agreement. Then, they'll fix them...

Are you kidding me? Is that where we're at as a society? Jesus...

They're telling me COB Monday the 15th for power on at my place...That coupled with the fact my credit union called and said there was some "unusual activity" on my debit card (I monitor that very closely... every transaction I'm notified) and a peachy week just got peachier 😡

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Generators aside for a moment...

My youngest lives in Kingwood, and they don't have power either right now, which I found strange being that Kingwood is an upscale place...her husband's grandmother is very well connected in the community, and this is what she was told...

Centerpoint (her electric company) is "negotiating pricing" and haven't been sending people to fix the lines. Only to be on site when they come to an agreement. Then, they'll fix them...

Are you kidding me? Is that where we're at as a society? Jesus...

They're telling me COB Monday the 15th for power on at my place...That coupled with the fact my credit union called and said there was some "unusual activity" on my debit card (I monitor that very closely... every transaction I'm notified) and a peachy week just got peachier 😡

Yeah, that’s where we are.  And I don’t expect any change for the better, that’s for sure.

• Sad 1