PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

6 players just one shot back of the lead and the #1 player in the world 2 shots back?  Should be an interesting Sunday.  

For whatever reason I just can't get into this Open. Been coming and going so much with summer stuff that I just haven't dived in yet. On the road all morning tomorrow so I won't be able to watch. Pulling for Brown but wouldn't mind Billy H getting it either.

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For whatever reason I just can't get into this Open. Been coming and going so much with summer stuff that I just haven't dived in yet. On the road all morning tomorrow so I won't be able to watch. Pulling for Brown but wouldn't mind Billy H getting it either.

Brown's been chain-smoking on the course and even took some selfies with a group of fans while walking down the fairway.  Unique dude.  But, he's not going to be able to finish it off.   Horschel made the comment after his round that he likes playing in bad weather, so he had an advantage today he won't have tomorrow.  Not supposed to rain.  

My money is on Schauffele with Sam Burns as a darkhorse.  And, JT and Adam Scott are lurking and playing well this week.  Rose never plays well on Sunday. Scheffler is not putting well.  Lowry imploded back 9 today and won't recover.    

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Brown's been chain-smoking on the course and even took some selfies with a group of fans while walking down the fairway.  Unique dude.  But, he's not going to be able to finish it off.   Horschel made the comment after his round that he likes playing in bad weather, so he had an advantage today he won't have tomorrow.  Not supposed to rain.  

My money is on Schauffele with Sam Burns as a darkhorse.  And, JT and Adam Scott are lurking and playing well this week.  Rose never plays well on Sunday. Scheffler is not putting well.  Lowry imploded back 9 today and won't recover.    

Schauffele, Scheffler, Scott…those are my three guesses.  I’m pulling for Rose and Horschel.  I expect Brown to continue to slide with the pressure.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Schauffele, Scheffler, Scott…those are my three guesses.  I’m pulling for Rose and Horschel.  I expect Brown to continue to slide with the pressure.

And it’s looking like Schauffele is going to win it.

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

So the question remains…who is the player of the year? 6 time winner Scottie or 2 time major winner Xander?

Tough one for sure. Have to go 2x major winner even though Scottie doubled him up on earnings, wins,etc..

21 hours ago, dgambill said:

So the question remains…who is the player of the year? 6 time winner Scottie or 2 time major winner Xander?

Easy Answer....Xander 2 majors, nothing else matters. Now that the PGAT has 40 Korn ferry guys that shouldnt be playing.

• Like 1

I would say look at the FedEx Cup standings.....? Isn't that literally the answer? If majors and majors alone only mattered, they should have it weighted, no?

Head to head playing in the same tournament Scheffler finished ahead in 9 out of 13. 

Header Cell - Column 0 Scheffler Schauffele
Tournaments 16 17
Overall Wins 6 2
Runner-up 2 2
Top 10 14 12
Majors 1 2
Prize money $28,148,691 $15,867,160
Score average 68.462 69.010
Season total to par -206 -186
Strokes Gained (PGA Tour rank) 2.760 (1st) 2.201 (2nd)
SG: Approach 1.485 (1st) 0.779 (5th)
SG: Putting 0.037 (89th) 0.581 (10th)
Birdie average 4.87 (1st) 4.28 (10th)
Driving distance 301.4 (70th) 305.7 (37th)

18 hours ago, Indykev said:

Easy Answer....Xander 2 majors, nothing else matters. Now that the PGAT has 40 Korn ferry guys that shouldnt be playing.

LIV or no LIV, these guys have been the best two golfers in the world this season.

I'm a fan of both.  But I'll give the nod to Xander.  

Edited by 5fouls

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

LIV or no LIV, these guys have been the best two golfers in the world this season.

I'm a fan of both.  But I'll give the nod to Xander.  

hard to say without playing against the best. When they have its Xander.

Seems there is no consensus. Guess the playoffs might decide it. It’s kinda crazy but could any 3 time player of the year in any other sport have asterisk beside their titles like Scheffler if he is to win this year. He defaulted in past two years with his top competition deferring to LIV so it will be interesting.

Edited by dgambill

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Seems there is no consensus. Guess the playoffs might decide it. It’s kinda crazy but could any 3 time player of the year in any other sport have asterisk beside their titles like Scheffler if he is to win this year. He defaulted in past two years with his top competition deferring to LIV so it will be interesting.

I have to disagree on his top competition being in LIV.  Other than Rahm, who is in first year of LIV, who else on the LIV roster would have been a threat for Player of the Year during Scheffler's run?

Phil 20 years ago.  Vintage DJ, but that guy doesn't exist any longer.  Koepka is a threat in the Majors, but doesn't have the consistency.  Cam Smith...I never thought he was as good as other people did, and he hasn't fared well the last couple of years when he has played against the PGA guys.

It's Rahm and Rahm only from the LIV that could seriously make a claim to being Top 5 in the world.

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I have to disagree on his top competition being in LIV.  Other than Rahm, who is in first year of LIV, who else on the LIV roster would have been a threat for Player of the Year during Scheffler's run?

Phil 20 years ago.  Vintage DJ, but that guy doesn't exist any longer.  Koepka is a threat in the Majors, but doesn't have the consistency.  Cam Smith...I never thought he was as good as other people did, and he hasn't fared well the last couple of years when he has played against the PGA guys.

It's Rahm and Rahm only from the LIV that could seriously make a claim to being Top 5 in the world.

you are just guessing.

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

2 years ago Cam Smith could easily made a claim for player of year…same for Rahm last year. Not saying they would win it this year but if they all the LiV guys are playing week in and out…hard to say Scheffler wins 6 this year. Thing about golf is any week someone can get hot…you bring back the LIV guys and that a good dozen guys that on any given week are more than capable of winning. The reason they don’t look consistent is because they only get 4 shots a year at the pga guys.

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

2 years ago Cam Smith could easily made a claim for player of year…same for Rahm last year. Not saying they would win it this year but if they all the LiV guys are playing week in and out…hard to say Scheffler wins 6 this year. Thing about golf is any week someone can get hot…you bring back the LIV guys and that a good dozen guys that on any given week are more than capable of winning. The reason they don’t look consistent is because they only get 4 shots a year at the pga guys.

Smith WAS eligible for POY 2 years ago and Rahm WAS eligible for POY last year.  So, the argument that they are in LIV this year has no bearing on Scheffler winning POY the two prior years.  

Phil is old, Koepka was always inconsistent even when on the PGA Tour, DJ is a shell of the player he used to be, DeChambeau is the Jordan Spieth of LIV (capable of winning on any given week, but not on EVERY given week like Scheffler and Schauffele are).  Remove those guys along with Bubba and Sergio (who are both are well past their prime) and the rest of the LIV roster COMBINED may not have as many tour wins as Scheffler.        

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It was a great leader board.  5 pf the Top 6 finishers ranked in the Top 15 of the World Rankings.   

yes it was a great leader board. world rankings dont mean anything, they promote non-play. its a bad system. but still it was fun to watch. Scheffler put to bed player of the year.

World rankings, everyone always talk world rankings like they matter. Here you go. If you won the Masters this year and next year you finish 2nd, you lose points enough though you finished 2nd. you beat everyone but one and lose points. say players xyz are #5,6,7 in the world. Separated by a few points. 5th rated player plays this week and doesnt finish as high as the year before loses points. 6 and 7 dont play and receive points for not playing and pass player 5 because he played but didnt finish as high. Promotes non-play.

Here is the big one. will never happen, but if an open qualifier in his first event ever as a pro won the US Open they would be #1 in the world. A very bad system if there is even a crazy chance it could happen.

Not going to name them but i worked for 2 players that wd'd from events because who was not playing and how it would affect their ranking at the end of the year to get in silly season events( money events after the season ). World rankings need to go away should have years ago.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

yes it was a great leader board. world rankings dont mean anything, they promote non-play. its a bad system. but still it was fun to watch. Scheffler put to bed player of the year.

Does the Olympics count toward Player Of The Year consideration?  I would imagine it's hard to ignore, but since it's not a tour event, I wasn't sure if it would be considered.  

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Does the Olympics count toward Player Of The Year consideration?  I would imagine it's hard to ignore, but since it's not a tour event, I wasn't sure if it would be considered.  

i would think. the majors arent tour events either. I think Scotty is the best in the world right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...