NBA Thread

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

No second rounder in this draft will bring as much value as Bronny will to the Lakers. Between keeping his father happy and all the publicity and tickets he will help sell it’s a bonanza for the Lakers.

Which is half jokingly why  I was hoping Pacers would draft Bronny. Imagine the haul we could have gotten just to make Lebron happy? Perfect extortion opportunity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Celtics for sale. I think they bought it for $350M or so 20+ years ago. Given the landscape of TV and a few other things it might be a good time to get out. Could easily get $4-$5B right?

Funny thing, Wyc bought the team, or at least it was announced, the day before my first day of work. 

I called my boss asking if I was still supposed to show up the next day 🤣

Wyc is absolutely an extremely wealthy man, but he's not a billionaire like some of these other owners and the Celtics don't own their arena. 

Selling high, also with skyrocketing payrolls, makes sense here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Funny thing, Wyc bought the team, or at least it was announced, the day before my first day of work. 

I called my boss asking if I was still supposed to show up the next day 🤣

Wyc is absolutely an extremely wealthy man, but he's not a billionaire like some of these other owners and the Celtics don't own their arena. 

Selling high, also with skyrocketing payrolls, makes sense here. 

No offense to the NBA model but I'd be selling. Probably why Cuban did as well.

On 6/30/2024 at 8:45 PM, dgambill said:

No second rounder in this draft will bring as much value as Bronny will to the Lakers. Between keeping his father happy and all the publicity and tickets he will help sell it’s a bonanza for the Lakers.

Hold on….are you telling me people get ahead based on nepotism & money 

Late picks are a dime a dozen anyway 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

Hold on….are you telling me people get ahead based on nepotism & money 

Late picks are a dime a dozen anyway 

Of course…look at almost every front office in any sports league or heck at bobs plumbing down the street. Yeah it doesn’t surprise me they did it. It will make a lot of coin for Lakers but how much will it turn off other players on the team? Guys that have worked their butt off for a chance get passed over for Lebrons kid. Might not sit well in the locker room.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Of course…look at almost every front office in any sports league or heck at bobs plumbing down the street. Yeah it doesn’t surprise me they did it. It will make a lot of coin for Lakers but how much will it turn off other players on the team? Guys that have worked their butt off for a chance get passed over for Lebrons kid. Might not sit well in the locker room.

I have no problem with the Lakers drafting Bronny with a late 2nd rounder. The NBA is flooded with nepotism. 

The thing I don't like is the Rich Paul/LeBron PR machine using their influence with the ESPN guys and guys like Nick Wright to try and spin that this was an actual pick. Getting all their media friends to push the narrative that the Lakers made this pick for basketball reasons, etc. 

That part is annoying. 

• Like 3

On 7/1/2024 at 9:56 AM, Boiler Sam said:

Supposedly no one wants to piss off Rich Paul and Klutch. 

To me, the whole Bronny won't go to any other team was a front to prevent bad optics from Lakers being the only interested party in town.  This way they can say there was interest elsewhere, but it wasn't mutual.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

I have no problem with the Lakers drafting Bronny with a late 2nd rounder. The NBA is flooded with nepotism. 

The thing I don't like is the Rich Paul/LeBron PR machine using their influence with the ESPN guys and guys like Nick Wright to try and spin that this was an actual pick. Getting all their media friends to push the narrative that the Lakers made this pick for basketball reasons, etc. 

That part is annoying. 

I don’t either. It’s a marketing ploy and a favor to Lebron…it’s the pissing on me and telling me it’s raining thing….i think it’s more the accumulation of things with Lebron…picking the teammates, telling them who to draft, hiring and firing coaches and then having nerve to say he had nothing to do with why the team flounders…he’s just annoying. Just buy a team like Michael and screw it up for 20 years already.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t either. It’s a marketing ploy and a favor to Lebron…it’s the pissing on me and telling me it’s raining thing….i think it’s more the accumulation of things with Lebron…picking the teammates, telling them who to draft, hiring and firing coaches and then having nerve to say he had nothing to do with why the team flounders…he’s just annoying. Just buy a team like Michael and screw it up for 20 years already.

Completely agree with everything you said! Now they're taling about giving Bronny a multi-year guaranteed deal which would mean a guaranteed roster spot, not the G-League. 

A complete joke. 

• Like 1