NBA Thread

3 hours ago, KDB said:

Super happy for Ware. Miami will be a great organization for him to develop. He and Knecht were my top 2 wishes for the Lakers. Cannot freaking believe Knecht fell to us at 17. I'm pumped with that pick.

Yeah, the Lakers have made some head-scratching moves, but Knecht at 17 may be as big of a steal as OG to the Raptors was.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

So when the Lakers draft Bronny tonight, will they lie and say he was their BPA or will they tell the truth and say they did it to keep LeBron happy? 🤣

It's the Lakers...they have to balance out the great pick (Knecht) with a bone-headed move like drafting LeBron's non-NBA talent son.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

So when the Lakers draft Bronny tonight, will they lie and say he was their BPA or will they tell the truth and say they did it to keep LeBron happy? 🤣

Agree all day....but when hasn't an organization been held hostage by it's best players. Personally I would have liked the Lakers to say OK...we need to move along. Where do you and your kid need to go?

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

Sorry…but you know if Edey had gone 15 and Purdue fan had said he was a lottery pick we all would be the first to point out he wasn’t. 🤷‍♂️

19 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

we arent the same as Purdue fans. 

Exactly...we don't go to their board and seek the needy validation like they do

• Like 2

On 6/27/2024 at 7:21 PM, Seeking6 said:

Of course I have to read about Kyle Filipowski and his gal grooming him for the Mormon Church and that's why he fell to the Jazz.

Craziest thing I have read this weekend someone did say that not one Duke player congratulated him when he announced their engagement. Wonder how much was disclosed to teams during the pre draft interview process. The screenshots from those who know make me want to have a drink. Duke did pretty well in keeping that quiet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coach1K said:

Craziest thing I have read this weekend someone did say that not one Duke player congratulated him when he announced their engagement. Wonder how much was disclosed to teams during the pre draft interview process. The screenshots from those who know make me want to have a drink. Duke did pretty well in keeping that quiet. 

I was pretty impressed that was kept that quiet as well. Eventually things always leak. Weird stuff for sure. 

On 6/27/2024 at 7:21 PM, Seeking6 said:

Of course I have to read about Kyle Filipowski and his gal grooming him for the Mormon Church and that's why he fell to the Jazz.

3 hours ago, Coach1K said:

Manti Teo's feeling pretty good about now

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was pretty impressed that was kept that quiet as well. Eventually things always leak. Weird stuff for sure. 

Some of the Duke fans on Twitter (X) were talking about it and the first thing I said was wait what is going on. Had to read through threads to piece it together. Think some eluded to team chemistry being off. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I must have missed something. Whats the deal with Filipowski?

The prom photo

As people combed through social media on Thursday morning a photo of Filipowski and Hutchinson from his high school prom began catching everyone’s eye. It shows the couple together and is dated May 21, 2022.

Screen_Shot_2024_06_28_at_9.45.50_AM.png

Filipowski was born in November of 2003. At the time of this photo he was 17 years old, and Hutchinson was (probably) 25 or 26. Even if we assume the first time they met was at this prom, that’s still an adult dating a minor. However, a now-deleted comment on the Filipowski prom photo from Hutchinson read: “one year with my favorite person.”

This would mean that they started their relationship when he was 16 years old and she was likely 24 or 25.

If we combine the accounts of the Filipowski family, they appear to be alleging that Caitlin Hutchinson began a relationship with Filipowski as a high schooler with the intent of grooming him and converting him to the mormon religion. According to their allegations, that includes a long-term play to become engaged to him shortly after he left Duke, and with the NBA on the horizon. This appears to have caused friction between Filipowski and his family, with Kyle seemingly choosing his relationship with Caitlin over his family, and — again, according to their tweets and Givony’s accounting of what NBA executives are saying — severing a relationship with them.

What can we make of all this?

If everything outlined above is to be believed, Filipowski could be viewed as a victim. Again, if the facts outlined above are actually what happened, it would appear an adult entered a relationship with a high school basketball player, one who was highly touted and seemed destined for the NBA.

Then, the same relationship reportedly damaged his draft stock by making Filipowski either too uncomfortable to talk about in interviews, which scared off teams — or by raising red flags about Hutchinson’s influence on his life.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/6/28/24188094/kyle-filipowski-girlfriend-nba-draft-utah-jazz

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The prom photo

As people combed through social media on Thursday morning a photo of Filipowski and Hutchinson from his high school prom began catching everyone’s eye. It shows the couple together and is dated May 21, 2022.

Screen_Shot_2024_06_28_at_9.45.50_AM.png

Filipowski was born in November of 2003. At the time of this photo he was 17 years old, and Hutchinson was (probably) 25 or 26. Even if we assume the first time they met was at this prom, that’s still an adult dating a minor. However, a now-deleted comment on the Filipowski prom photo from Hutchinson read: “one year with my favorite person.”

This would mean that they started their relationship when he was 16 years old and she was likely 24 or 25.

If we combine the accounts of the Filipowski family, they appear to be alleging that Caitlin Hutchinson began a relationship with Filipowski as a high schooler with the intent of grooming him and converting him to the mormon religion. According to their allegations, that includes a long-term play to become engaged to him shortly after he left Duke, and with the NBA on the horizon. This appears to have caused friction between Filipowski and his family, with Kyle seemingly choosing his relationship with Caitlin over his family, and — again, according to their tweets and Givony’s accounting of what NBA executives are saying — severing a relationship with them.

What can we make of all this?

If everything outlined above is to be believed, Filipowski could be viewed as a victim. Again, if the facts outlined above are actually what happened, it would appear an adult entered a relationship with a high school basketball player, one who was highly touted and seemed destined for the NBA.

Then, the same relationship reportedly damaged his draft stock by making Filipowski either too uncomfortable to talk about in interviews, which scared off teams — or by raising red flags about Hutchinson’s influence on his life.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/6/28/24188094/kyle-filipowski-girlfriend-nba-draft-utah-jazz

giphy.gif

On 6/27/2024 at 5:12 PM, FKIM01 said:

It's the Lakers...they have to balance out the great pick (Knecht) with a bone-headed move like drafting LeBron's non-NBA talent son.

No second rounder in this draft will bring as much value as Bronny will to the Lakers. Between keeping his father happy and all the publicity and tickets he will help sell it’s a bonanza for the Lakers.