NBA Thread

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It is draft day but I have really no excitement for this draft. It is really weak draft especially at the top of the draft. If Reed Shepard is considered a top 3 pick that tells me how weak the draft is.

BINGO!  Sheppard goes #3.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

You get drafted by Riley it means something. Congrats Kelel Ware. You chose wisely. Bench player in Oregon to the green room and headed to Miami in one year. 

💯 How do you not love this kid

I think some of us where right….sensitive kid who needed to feel some love from his coaches & teammates 

Not a HEAT fan but I’ll be rooting for Ware 

• Like 1

Loser: Memphis Grizzlies

Memphis clearly had eyes on Donovan Clingan, and it was even being reported that the Grizzlies were close to a deal to move up from No. 9 to take him. That would've been an incredible stroke of luck for Clingan, who was receiving legit talk as a potential No. 1 overall guy, to fall that far and be able to swing back. But they couldn't seal deal, and Clingan wound up going to Portland while the Grizzlies wound up with Zach Edey at No. 9. Maybe Edey ends up being really good. I just don't see it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2024-nba-draft-winners-and-losers-lakers-land-steal-in-dalton-knecht-knicks-get-clever-spurs-pile-up-assets/

Loser: Memphis Grizzlies

I don’t have anything against Zach Edey as a basketball player. He was a dominant force in college and his size makes him worth taking a flier on in the NBA. But a top-10 pick? The Grizzlies have been burned with top-10 picks going for “high upside” wing players but this is too much of an overcorrection. Edey fills a need because the Grizzlies do need frontcourt help but he’s nothing more than a bench body. You don’t take that with a top-10 pick, especially if you’re trying to return to contender status next season.

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/2024/6/26/24187056/nba-draft-2024-first-round-winners-losers-spurs-76ers-france-grizzlies-hornets-bronny-james

Seth Davis: "This is a terrible pick". Starts at about 1:43

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Memphis clearly had eyes on Donovan Clingan, and it was even being reported that the Grizzlies were close to a deal to move up from No. 9 to take him. That would've been an incredible stroke of luck for Clingan, who was receiving legit talk as a potential No. 1 overall guy, to fall that far and be able to swing back. But they couldn't seal deal, and Clingan wound up going to Portland while the Grizzlies wound up with Zach Edey at No. 9. Maybe Edey ends up being really good. I just don't see it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2024-nba-draft-winners-and-losers-lakers-land-steal-in-dalton-knecht-knicks-get-clever-spurs-pile-up-assets/

I don’t have anything against Zach Edey as a basketball player. He was a dominant force in college and his size makes him worth taking a flier on in the NBA. But a top-10 pick? The Grizzlies have been burned with top-10 picks going for “high upside” wing players but this is too much of an overcorrection. Edey fills a need because the Grizzlies do need frontcourt help but he’s nothing more than a bench body. You don’t take that with a top-10 pick, especially if you’re trying to return to contender status next season.

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/2024/6/26/24187056/nba-draft-2024-first-round-winners-losers-spurs-76ers-france-grizzlies-hornets-bronny-james

Why people continue to doubt Edey is beyond me. He keeps proving haters wrong and feeds off the criticism.  And the “he is what he is” is a lazy take with him only playing organized basketball for 6 years.  And people keep acting like Clingan is night and day better when Edey has proven both on the court and in pre-draft measurables that he’s at least on par if not better in multiple areas.  Will be fun to watch these bad takes get exposed. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Kudos to Woodson and staff for helping get Ware into the lottery. I do have my questions about Woodson's coaching decisions, but you can't question his ability to help develop bigs. Congrats Kel'el!

Ware wasn’t a lottery pick. 1-14 are lottery. Still an accomplishment to get selected in the first rd…but fact is Woodson hasn’t put anyone in the lottery yet.

23 minutes ago, KDB said:

Super happy for Ware. Miami will be a great organization for him to develop. He and Knecht were my top 2 wishes for the Lakers. Cannot freaking believe Knecht fell to us at 17. I'm pumped with that pick.

I have a hard time thinking there were 16 players I would have selected ahead of Knecht. That seems like a steal almost in par with the Warriors/TJD last year.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why people continue to doubt Edey is beyond me. He keeps proving haters wrong and feeds off the criticism.  And the “he is what he is” is a lazy take with him only playing organized basketball for 6 years.  And people keep acting like Clingan is night and day better when Edey has proven both on the court and in pre-draft measurables that he’s at least on par if not better in multiple areas.  Will be fun to watch these bad takes get exposed. 

Grizzlies had a lot of luck with Marc Gasol and then some with Steven Adams…he should fit well there and there is a precedent for them using traditional bigs. They have spacers with Jackson playing the stretch 4 in the corner and Bane a great shooter…and everyone running pick n roll with Morant look great. It’s probably the best scenario for him. That’s not my ringing endorsement of him…I think he will have tons of issues defensively…he will get pulled out on the court…it will take his shot blocking and rebounding ability away. Offensively he could do well cleaning up boards and put backs but I’m not sure I just want a big clogging up the lane taking away from my cutters and drivers and bringing help over. We will see.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Those skills will be apparent as a perennial all-star for the Brampton Ontario Honey Badgers

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Grizzlies had a lot of luck with Marc Gasol and then some with Steven Adams…he should fit well there and there is a precedent for them using traditional bigs. They have spacers with Jackson playing the stretch 4 in the corner and Bane a great shooter…and everyone running pick n roll with Morant look great. It’s probably the best scenario for him. That’s not my ringing endorsement of him…I think he will have tons of issues defensively…he will get pulled out on the court…it will take his shot blocking and rebounding ability away. Offensively he could do well cleaning up boards and put backs but I’m not sure I just want a big clogging up the lane taking away from my cutters and drivers and bringing help over. We will see.

I think this description hits the nail on the head.  And he’ll just keep getting better and better. 

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Those skills will be apparent as a perennial all-star for the Brampton Ontario Honey Badgers

At least provide a legit counter argument.  The video from the Grizzlies GM speaks volumes regarding how they view him.  People keep doubting him and he just keeps proving them wrong.  

Edited by Stlboiler23

If his lack of mobility doesnt totally prevent him from getting on the floor, opposing teams are going to have to gameplan specifically for Edey, because he's unlike anything else th hey will see all season.  

I don't know enough about the NBA to say whether or not the Heat are a good fit for Ware or not.  I actually stopped watching two picks before he went because I was getting worried he might drop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That women is an absolute moron who said it was one of the worst pick in the draft history. What is her qualifications to b a draft analysis. There are a lot of these so called experts who have no clue what they are talking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

At least provide a legit counter argument.  

Edey is a drop coverage defender. It has protected him his whole college career. He will face entirely different players and offensive attacks at the next level. 

The disadvantages of drop coverage

Like any defensive scheme, talented offensive players can find a way to dissect drop coverage. Lob threats like Gafford and Dereck Lively II give Doncic the perfect pairing to crack the code.

Doncic is just as good of a passer as he is a scorer. He'll remain patient as he attacks the basket, waiting for the perfect time to get Gobert to bite before finding his big for a lob and easy dunk.

Other disadvantages of the drop coverage scheme arise when the big man screening can shoot or the big man defending the screen isn't quick or long enough to keep the play in front.

We saw the Celtics get killed by the Tyrese Haliburton-Myles Turner high ball screen in Game 1 for both those reasons — Al Horford and Luke Kornet were either getting blown by off the bounce, couldn't recover against Turner's roll or couldn't get back out to the perimeter to contest Turner's 3s.

The Celtics countered by putting one of their bigger, faster wings — Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown or Jrue Holiday — on Turner to neutralize the advantages Indiana was creating. They stuck with that plan (with a few other changes) in Game 2, which resulted in a blowout victory.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/drop-coverage-explaining-defensive-scheme-rudy-gobert/7773de35808a5a3e247d005a

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Edey is a drop coverage defender. It has protected him his whole college career. He will face entirely different players and offensive attacks at the next level. 

The disadvantages of drop coverage

Like any defensive scheme, talented offensive players can find a way to dissect drop coverage. Lob threats like Gafford and Dereck Lively II give Doncic the perfect pairing to crack the code.

Doncic is just as good of a passer as he is a scorer. He'll remain patient as he attacks the basket, waiting for the perfect time to get Gobert to bite before finding his big for a lob and easy dunk.

Other disadvantages of the drop coverage scheme arise when the big man screening can shoot or the big man defending the screen isn't quick or long enough to keep the play in front.

We saw the Celtics get killed by the Tyrese Haliburton-Myles Turner high ball screen in Game 1 for both those reasons — Al Horford and Luke Kornet were either getting blown by off the bounce, couldn't recover against Turner's roll or couldn't get back out to the perimeter to contest Turner's 3s.

The Celtics countered by putting one of their bigger, faster wings — Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown or Jrue Holiday — on Turner to neutralize the advantages Indiana was creating. They stuck with that plan (with a few other changes) in Game 2, which resulted in a blowout victory.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/drop-coverage-explaining-defensive-scheme-rudy-gobert/7773de35808a5a3e247d005a

They played drop coverage to protect Edey so he’d stay out of foul trouble. In the NBA, he’ll be able to be more aggressive and challenge more shots due to less MPG than college, an additional foul at his disposal, and having an all-NBA defender next to him. 

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If you’ve been betting against Zach all the way do you have anything left?

Purdue fans bet against TJD and are broke 

Maybe you are finally right….like Coyle ?

2 hours ago, KDB said:

Super happy for Ware. Miami will be a great organization for him to develop. He and Knecht were my top 2 wishes for the Lakers. Cannot freaking believe Knecht fell to us at 17. I'm pumped with that pick.

Trust me. My Dad was a Celtics fan so naturally growing up I cheered for the Lakers. Getting Knecht at 17 is a steal. Should be fun to watch JHS and him grow into the new regime once Lebron hangs them up.

• Like 1