NBA Thread

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Tatum falling to three in that draft is wild. 

I can understand Ingram and Simmons over Brown. 

Yeah, the Tatum draft was Ainge fleecing the Sixers. LA was always taking Ball. 

The 2016 draft, Simmons and Ingram were always 1-2. That one is more about people thinking Ainge made a huge mistake taking Brown at #3. 

Most of the experts thought he should have taken Josh Jackson (Kansas) who isn't even in the league anymore. 

14 hours ago, cybergates said:

Also wild that the top 3 picks were made by the same 3 teams in back to back drafts.

Which is why when the Pacers were bad I wanted them to be really bad. Just bottom out. Drafting 5-10 is not really bad.
Sure not every draft produces those guys like Tatum and Brown at the top but finding your core to build around for years to come is so much easier if you do. Heck you get just one of those guys your chances sky rockets. Sometimes it takes a couple drafts to find that generational guy but when you do, then you can build around.

Pacers didn’t want to tank because they worried about ticket sales.  Now imagine landing a Chet or Banchero , a Scottie Barnes or maybe Josh Giddy. Then pairing with acquired young guys in trades.

On top of that you also get a guy like Haliburton for trading your good players. You can really build around 2-3 really good young players by using the cap space to bring in winning veterans to teach them and bring them along. Celtics did a smart thing…they have always had great veterans around them like White, Holiday, and especially Horford. All those playoff experiences and runs though is what taught the team to know how to get through the pressure this year. For as young as they are Tatum and Brown have soo much experience it’s crazy. They will only get better from here.

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, the Tatum draft was Ainge fleecing the Sixers. LA was always taking Ball. 

The 2016 draft, Simmons and Ingram were always 1-2. That one is more about people thinking Ainge made a huge mistake taking Brown at #3. 

Most of the experts thought he should have taken Josh Jackson (Kansas) who isn't even in the league anymore. 

The Ball pick was the worst indeed. It was clear Tatum was the best player in that draft and the circus around ball was going to be a distraction….just horrible management. If Jerry West was running the lakers no way that would have happened. Lakers have one of the worst owners in basketball currently.

28 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Just saw Josh Giddey got traded to Chicago for Alex Caruso.  Fair trade or did Giddey get discounted for his minor relationship controversy?

Everybody I heard talking about this trade is that OKC got a steal in this deal

On 6/19/2024 at 7:45 AM, dgambill said:

Which is why when the Pacers were bad I wanted them to be really bad. Just bottom out. Drafting 5-10 is not really bad.
Sure not every draft produces those guys like Tatum and Brown at the top but finding your core to build around for years to come is so much easier if you do. Heck you get just one of those guys your chances sky rockets. Sometimes it takes a couple drafts to find that generational guy but when you do, then you can build around.

Pacers didn’t want to tank because they worried about ticket sales.  Now imagine landing a Chet or Banchero , a Scottie Barnes or maybe Josh Giddy. Then pairing with acquired young guys in trades.

On top of that you also get a guy like Haliburton for trading your good players. You can really build around 2-3 really good young players by using the cap space to bring in winning veterans to teach them and bring them along. Celtics did a smart thing…they have always had great veterans around them like White, Holiday, and especially Horford. All those playoff experiences and runs though is what taught the team to know how to get through the pressure this year. For as young as they are Tatum and Brown have soo much experience it’s crazy. They will only get better from here.

When PG broke his leg they should have sold everything not nailed down 

pacers could have had bird & MJ but they wanted a burger 🍔 today instead of steak 🥩 tomorrow 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not surprising! Congrats Big Z!

I think it's damned surprising, but I'm not at all shocked you'd disagree.

You take a player who's skill set is very different than typical NBA players and you take him well above projections?  As I added above, they'll either look like geniuses or complete morons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

And some people thought Edey chose to not attend the draft because of doubts he’d go in the first round lol. 

He could easily end up looking like a player who should not have been selected in the first round.  I just don't think there's much middle ground.  He's either going to look like a lottery pick or a second round player.

26 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think it's damned surprising, but I'm not at all shocked you'd disagree.

You take a player who's skill set is very different than typical NBA players and you take him well above projections?  As I added above, they'll either look like geniuses or complete morons.

Well above? Plenty of projections I saw had him in the lottery and several teams it made a lot of sense for him like the Grizzlies after they lost Steven Adams.  His testing numbers were better than Clingan which I’m sure opened a lot of eyes.