NBA Thread

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, great win for the Pacers. That's a building block win for a young squad given that it was a quasi playoff atmosphere. 

Haliburton is great. I think Tatum will be OK though, he did get November Player of the Month today. 

Not taking the time to look up his numbers but not sure Tatum was more deserving than Haliburton for player of the Month.

Haliburton numbers he joins Michael and LeBron as only to have those for an entire month and if you add in FT percent of 88% he stands alone. 

▪️ 28.6 PPG
▪️ 11.7 APG
▪️ 53.2 FG%
▪️ 46.7 3P%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not taking the time to look up his numbers but not sure Tatum was more deserving than Haliburton for player of the Month.

Haliburton numbers he joins Michael and LeBron as only to have those for an entire month and if you add in FT percent of 88% he stands alone. 

▪️ 28.6 PPG
▪️ 11.7 APG
▪️ 53.2 FG%
▪️ 46.7 3P%

Those are the kind of numbers I put up in my Dad's barn circa 1980.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

▪️ 28.6 PPG
▪️ 11.7 APG
▪️ 53.2 FG%
▪️ 46.7 3P%

Yeah, I mean usually multiple guys are worthy of these things but only one can win it. 

Tatum obviously had strong numbers too, led the league in +/- and led his team to the best record in the conference. 

When things are close they're typically going to go with the team that won more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

The Pacers getting talked about quite a bit today on the sports talk circuit.

Deservedly so. That was a big win in a playoff type atmosphere. The two most important things IMO were the defense seemed to understand what it takes to play at the level they need to, and Hali taking over the game. They said it on the broadcast and it isn't hyperbole (but it is a small sample size at this point), he is playing as well as any point guard in the NBA so far this season. 

• Like 2

In San Francisco for work this week.  Group of us were able to snag some Warriors tickets.  They were playing the Trail Bkazers, so I was thinking the Warriors might build a margin and TJD would get some minutes.

Didnt happen.  The Warriors were sleep walking through the first 33 minutes or so.  Blazers led almost the entire game before GS took the lead midway through the 4th and held on for a 4 point win.

- TJD did not play.

- If you thought IU was bad guarding the 3 early in the season, GS was worse.  Blazers had wide open looks all night.

- Steph did not have a great shooting night, but still ended up with 31.

- Chris Paul and Klay Thompson are shells of what they used to be 

- Warriors are a fringe layoff team.  If Curry were to get hurt, they would be bottom 5 in the league.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

In San Francisco for work this week.  Group of us were able to snag some Warriors tickets.  They were playing the Trail Bkazers, so I was thinking the Warriors might build a margin and TJD would get some minutes.

Didnt happen.  The Warriors were sleep walking through the first 33 minutes or so.  Blazers led almost the entire game before GS took the lead midway through the 4th and held on for a 4 point win.

- TJD did not play.

- If you thought IU was bad guarding the 3 early in the season, GS was worse.  Blazers had wide open looks all night.

- Steph did not have a great shooting night, but still ended up with 31.

- Chris Paul and Klay Thompson are shells of what they used to be 

- Warriors are a fringe layoff team.  If Curry were to get hurt, they would be bottom 5 in the league.

You would have gotten more entertainment for cheaper if you just sat on a corner in the Tenderloin and watched what the “locals” were doing :coffee:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers beat the Bucks 128-119 to love to the championship game if the in season tournament. Pacers are knocking off some of the top teams in the East.

2-0 vs Bucks

2-0 vs Cavs 

1-1 vs Celtics 

1-1 vs 76ers

And Haliburton is holding his own against the biggest stars in the league.

He has a chance to do something for the franchise that’s never been done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Hali!

@dgambill you still think they need an alpha?!?

Sure. I think for this team to be a championship caliber team it will need another superstar. Haliburton is fabulous and I love him…but he won’t carry this team all the way on his own. Special kid…great player but we will need another one if we want to have a shot at a chip.

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Sure. I think for this team to be a championship caliber team it will need another superstar. Haliburton is fabulous and I love him…but he won’t carry this team all the way on his own. Special kid…great player but we will need another one if we want to have a shot at a chip.

That’s not really answering the question though. You said they need someone to be the alpha - why can’t Haliburton be that guy?

Needing a 1B player, sure, they need that. But Hali can be the 1a on a championship team. 

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

I hope you don’t count this in season championship as some kind of legit accomplishment. 

SMH...Why not?

What NBA team wouldn't want the success the Pacers are having and to be in the Championship game of this new tourney? Of course it's not the same as the playoffs, but who cares. IMO the NBA season can drag on too long and it gets very boring. This kind of thing definitely spices up the the traditional NBA season format. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

SMH...Why not?

What NBA team wouldn't want the success the Pacers are having and to be in the Championship game of this new tourney? Of course it's not the same as the playoffs, but who cares. IMO the NBA season can drag on too long and it gets very boring. This kind of thing definitely spices up the the traditional NBA season format. 

I've loved the in-season tournament. 

It isn't the same as winning an NBA Championship, but winning the first one would be really cool.... and we don't really know what these are going to mean historically. I can't see it ever being considered on par with a championship, but I could see it being a notable career accomplishment for guys. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I've loved the in-season tournament. 

It isn't the same as winning an NBA Championship, but winning the first one would be really cool.... and we don't really know what these are going to mean historically. I can't see it ever being considered on par with a championship, but I could see it being a notable career accomplishment for guys. 

Besides,....We will get a banner to hang in Gainbridge Fieldhouse! 

• Like 2

I know I shouldn't let this bother me but listening to Greenie today. When they got to talking about the in season tournament all they talked about was how great Lebron is playing at 39 years old. They talked about how well star players like Lebron and Steph are embarrassing the tournament. Not once did they ever mentioned the Pacers in that conversation. No mention how the Pacers had to beat Philly, Cavs, Celtics and the Bucks to get to the championship.

Sorry…I can’t get excited about it…I haven’t seen anyone but Lebron and the Lakers making a big deal about it. Makes me think the NBA is incentivizing them to play their guys but overall most teams have just been going through the motions. Can’t tell the difference between a regular game and a tourney game. Do I want us to win…sure…but seems like a gimmick. I equate it to winning the preseason NIT or Maui Inventational.

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sorry…I can’t get excited about it…I haven’t seen anyone but Lebron and the Lakers making a big deal about it. Makes me think the NBA is incentivizing them to play their guys but overall most teams have just been going through the motions. Can’t tell the difference between a regular game and a tourney game. Do I want us to win…sure…but seems like a gimmick. I equate it to winning the preseason NIT or Maui Inventational.

Then you haven't been paying attention to the Pacers press conferences/interviews. They are very excited about it. 

• Like 1