NBA Thread

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What Gary Harris did at Michigan State doesn't quite stack up to what TJD did at IU...

He was a better NBA prospect and had a pretty good career going before injuries… so Pacers fans would have had a lot more reason to want that local kid. 

• Like 1

As a staunch anti-NBA guy, I will probably never watch either TJD or JHS play another minute of basketball. That being said, which statement do you all think would hold more sway over future Hoosier's recruits--" I saw TJD  play in the playoffs for the Warriors?" or " I didn't see much of TJD because the Pacers are rarely on tv, and didn't make the playoffs?"

To me, the real value to these choices is what attention they will bring to IU.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As a staunch anti-NBA guy, I will probably never watch either TJD or JHS play another minute of basketball. That being said, which statement do you all think would hold more sway over future Hoosier's recruits--" I saw TJD  play in the playoffs for the Warriors?" or " I didn't see much of TJD because the Pacers are rarely on tv, and didn't make the playoffs?"

To me, the real value to these choices is what attention they will bring to IU.

From an IU perspective I agree with this. From a fan of those two kids I’m also really excited about their situation.

The Pacer fan in me is also happy, the Pacers didn’t need another guy in the logjam of Turner, Smith, IJax. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He was a better NBA prospect and had a pretty good career going before injuries… so Pacers fans would have had a lot more reason to want that local kid. 

Moot point...Harris was drafted 19th...Pacers didn't have a pick until #57 

But I'm sure Pacer fans would have preferred Harris to Louis Labeyrie if that helps :) 

It is funny the only place I see people really criticizing the Pacers and the direction of this organization is on this message board. The local and national shows I watch or listen to all think the Pacers are a good young and up and coming team that is less than two years into a rebuild.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is funny the only place I see people really criticizing the Pacers and the direction of this organization is on this message board. The local and national shows I watch or listen to all think the Pacers are a good young and up and coming team that is less than two years into a rebuild.

Comes with the territory of having a fan base.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sounds pretty clear that TJD camp specifically asked the Pacers not to draft him. 

And that’s fair from the Pacers to honor that, but did they factor in how IU fans that could at best be described as casual NBA fans that lean towards the Pacers would feel?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out the draft.  It appears that being an All-American works against you.

Not really new either. I always point to the 1997 Arizona title team. 

That team had 5 NBA guys on the roster. Miles Simon was the 2nd leading scorer (by .5 points behind Michael Dickerson) and a 1st Team AA but barely sniffed the NBA. 

I think he played in 3 games, yet Dickerson, Bibby and Jason Terry were all good NBA players. 

• Like 1

Great discussion.  Speaking only for myself, I am thrilled to see TJD go to GS.  He is in a great situation with a top 3 coach, an all timer, who has a knack for carving out roles for later picks.  He will have as good of a chance at GS to make it in the league as he would have anywhere.  He will be around some true pros where he can learn from champions. They are a high profile team with tremendous exposure.  It's perfect for him.  

• Like 5

One name that was kind of funny to me last night was Brandin Podziemski at #20 to Warriors.

For those that don't remember he rode he pine at Illinois. When the summer came Underwood said to him he didn't think he was good enough to play there.

2 years later he cashes in with the Warriors. Just goes to show you...even people who work in basketball evaluate talent incorrectly all the time.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sensabaugh is an interesting second unit scorer. But you have the rumors about team chemistry although I suspect Holtmann used him as a convenient scapegoat for a team that simply struggled and underachieved.  

That was all on Holtmann...I watched Ohio State destroy Northwestern in Evanston early in the Big 10 year and thought they'd be near the top of the conference...

But unlike Trayce and Race, who embraced JHS and Malik and saw that their talent could help IU win, Holtmann deferred to upperclassman who didn't have anywhere near Sensabaugh's scoring ability and did a poor job of getting his team on the same page...and he did indeed use Sensabaugh as a scapegoat...

I think Sensabaugh is going to be a solid NBA player...His game reminds me a lot of Adrian Dantley's...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sounds pretty clear that TJD camp specifically asked the Pacers not to draft him. 

I didn’t listen to it so I don’t know what all was said, but I did wonder during the day yesterday if after playing HS ball in Indy and college ball just down the road if he wasn’t privately hoping for a chance to go somewhere new. 

• Like 2

I’m an IU and pacers fan. TJD going to the pacers would have been bad for both. The pacers get a redundant player and TJD would get very little playing time. As cool as it would be to see TJD as a pacer, it really would’ve made 0 sense.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I didn’t listen to it so I don’t know what all was said, but I did wonder during the day yesterday if after playing HS ball in Indy and college ball just down the road if he wasn’t privately hoping for a chance to go somewhere new. 

Not so much about that as probably just about roster fit. The Pacers have several guys like him at his spot. Just not a good roster fit for TJD. 

• Like 3