NBA Thread

Just now, BGleas said:

You can't remove the IU bias though, it's blatant in this conversation. If TJD had gone to MSU instead of IU, nobody in this thread would be mad at the Pacers for passing on him with a very late 2nd round pick. 

Not so sure about that...He's still an Indiana kid...

And if he'd played at MSU and had he done to IU what he did to pretty much every Big 10,team while he was here, I'm sure there still would have been a conversation... 

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Talking about why you picked who you did is common, not about why you did not pick someone else.

I wonder if he explained why they made the 2nd round picks they did.

Both of our second round picks will be on a two way contract because we don't have the roster spots. TJD will get an opportunity to be on the actual 15 man roster at GS

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You can't remove the IU bias though, it's blatant in this conversation. If TJD had gone to MSU instead of IU, nobody in this thread would be mad at the Pacers for passing on him with a very late 2nd round pick. 

It's a fan's right.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As @5fouls said, describing Trayce Jackson-Davis as a "charity pick" is an insult...

As I said...Take the IU bias out of it (and the fact that he was a legend for IU which is simply the cherry on the sundae, not the whole sundae itself) and there can still be a conversation about who has the most potential, and, who the Pacers should have picked...

You can talk about "need" and "depth" all you want, but I'm more interested in difference makers...And I think TJD will be one...

I guess 29 other teams didn't view Trace that way

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've grasped that... 

Whoever drafted Pickett I don't think he'll be as good of an NBA player as Lundy... 

the defending champions drafted him. They might know their roster needs better than a guy who by his own admission doesn’t know the nuances of the NBA. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So a GM gets on the air morning after draft to explain their side of things to appease the locals?? That's a weak move...oh well. Pacers will be drafting in the lottery again next year and JHS/TJD are with 2 great organizations. 

Not sure if they’ll be lottery next year or not, we will see what other moves we make this summer. It will have nothing to do with how this draft was handled if they are in the lottery again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I agree with this, because the Pacers have proven over time not to be a Championship level organization.  

They have made the Eastern Conference finals 8 times in the last 28 years. At one point them and San Antonio had the longest streaks for making the playoffs 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

the defending champions drafted him. They might know their roster needs better than a guy who by his own admission doesn’t know the nuances of the NBA. 

As I said, roster "needs" are one thing, "talent" is another...

Ask Portland about Sam Bowie...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not sure if they’ll be lottery next year or not, we will see what other moves we make this summer. It will have nothing to do with how this draft was handled if they are in the lottery again. 

Truly hope they aren't but history says far greater chances of lottery vs not. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think we have the answer to why the Pacers didn't draft TJD. The Pacers GM was in our local sports talk show.  They brought up not drafting THD and he said he loved Trace and his game. He said that there wasn't a fit but would love to have him on the Pacers. He said sometimes the feeling needs to be mutual and said the Trace and his representatives didn't want the Pacers to draft him because of the roster makeup

If this was said... we can just stop the rest of the conversation. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

They have made the Eastern Conference finals 8 times in the last 28 years. At one point them and San Antonio had the longest streaks for making the playoffs 

I'll have to check out those 'made Eastern Conference finals' trophies when GS comes to Indy next year.  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah the posts claiming the Pacers are a poor organization are pretty funny. 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not so sure about that...He's still an Indiana kid...

And if he'd played at MSU and had he done to IU what he did to pretty much every Big 10,team while he was here, I'm sure there still would have been a conversation... 

no one has ever cared that the Pacers didn’t get Gary Harris 🤷

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

But apparently a franchise that has won 4 of the last 8 championships sure did...

Just totally different situations though. You're taking most of the nuance out of this. As successful as the Warriors are/have been, they are a financial mess right now with the new CBA looming and also have a glaring need at the position TJD plays. The Warriors need to round out their roster with 2nd round picks, etc., because they're paying Steph, Klay and are about to re-sign Draymond all to big money. 

These decisions go incredibly deeper than just talent. Celtics fans were pissed that Stevens traded out of the 1st round last night, until they realized that by not tying up guaranteed money in a late 1st round pick the Celtics maintain the use of the mid-level exception to sign a veteran free agent who can actually help them this season. 

There are so many more moving parts and pieces than just "I like this late 2nd round picks talent". 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I agree with this, because the Pacers have proven over time not to be a Championship level organization.  

Forgive my lack of sympathy. I'm a Bull's fan. Injuries have cursed our point guards: Jason WIlliams, D Rose, Lonzo Ball. Our management made thee dumbest trade for Vucevic - and doesn't even put him in a position to succeed - Just like we did with Markkanen, who is now lighting it up for the Jazz. We pay Lavine tons of money to not pass the ball and eat up cap space. We ran Jimmy Butler out of town because he wasn't welcome to players who didn't want to work as hard as he did.  I could keep going.....

oh yeah, remember when we dismantled the best NBA team ever to appease Krause's ego? 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Just totally different situations though. You're taking most of the nuance out of this. As successful as the Warriors are/have been, they are a financial mess right now with the new CBA looming and also have a glaring need at the position TJD plays. The Warriors need to round out their roster with 2nd round picks, etc., because they're paying Steph, Klay and are about to re-sign Draymond all to big money. 

These decisions go incredibly deeper than just talent. Celtics fans were pissed that Stevens traded out of the 1st round last night, until they realized that by not tying up guaranteed money in a late 1st round pick the Celtics maintain the use of the mid-level exception to sign a veteran free agent who can actually help them this season. 

There are so many more moving parts and pieces than just "I like this late 2nd round picks talent". 

As I said, I do understand the "need" argument, but dismissing talent can come back to bite you...

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The Pacers are one of the better run small market teams in the NBA over the last several decades and appear to be handling this rebuild pretty well.

They were in a championship position with PG prior to his injury.

Pivoted well from that prior to VOs injuries and stupidity (does IU owe the Pacers for how VO turned out?)

This rebuild seems to be going really well so far. Probably would’ve made the playoffs this year (ahead of schedule) if not for the Hali injury. Pritchard has amassed a lot of assets, handled the Turner extension masterfully, has given us tons of young guards and wings so we can move Hield for more assets. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said, I do understand the "need" argument, but dismissing talent can come back to bite you...

It's more than just need though, as I mentioned. 

Listen, I think TJD has the talent and potential to be a long-time NBA player. I really do. I think he should have been picked higher. I'm not dismissing or disrespecting his talent or potential. With that said, I'd be shocked if the Pacers are kicking themselves over who they took with 55th pick in 5 years. 

Even if he becomes a rotational player, you can find those guys in lots of places and they're largely interchangeable. 

TJD is in a great spot to have a chance and as a late 2nd round pick that is pretty much all you can ask. 

• Like 1