NBA Thread

Just now, IUFLA said:

I said I understand the point... I didn't say I necessarily agreed with it... I don't watch the NBA enough to know the nuances...

A big part of Pickett's game was backing people down and using his strength... I don't see him doing that in the NBA... Lundy is a better outside shooter and defender...

And if you don't think down the road Wong/TJD career comparisons are inevitable for IU or Pacer fan forums, I don't know what to tell you... 

I can't believe there'd ever be much discussion past this month about to players picked 55+.... so I think you're way off there. 

Pickett can for sure get buckets on a 2nd unit. I don't think Lundy will guard wings as effectively as Pickett can guard back up points. But again, that wasn't the Pacers pick. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

There's a big difference in a top 10 pick and a 2nd rounder... 

Neither one should be used to just draft a player to appease a few fans. 

I just cannot believe this is a talking point. TJD is in, probably the best spot possible to be successful. We should be celebrating that, nothing else.

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

I can't believe there'd ever be much discussion past this month about to players picked 55+.... so I think you're way off there. 

Pickett can for sure get buckets on a 2nd unit. I don't think Lundy will guard wings as effectively as Pickett can guard back up points. But again, that wasn't the Pacers pick. 

So you don't think if TJD had a successful career and Wong was out of the league in a couple of years it wouldn't be discussed ad nauseam on this and other boards? 

Okkkkay... 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So you don't think if TJD had a successful career and Wong was out of the league in a couple of years it wouldn't be discussed ad nauseam on this and other boards? 

Okkkkay... 

Like literally never. No one will care. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Neither one should be used to just draft a player to appease a few fans. 

I just cannot believe this is a talking point. TJD is in, probably the best spot possible to be successful. We should be celebrating that, nothing else.

In the Alford/Miller debate your first paragraph would be true...

But using a 2nd round pick on a big, very athletic kid who still has some room for improvement over Wong is a bit more of a debate...

I'm happy for Trayce and Jalen... I just think some of you need to consider others viewpoints without the hammer

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But using a 2nd round pick on a big, very athletic kid who still has some room for improvement over Wong is a bit more of a debate...

I'm happy for Trayce and Jalen... I just think some of you need to consider others viewpoints without the hammer

Wong the ACC POY is some how mince meat? 

I think some of you need to get out the IU bubble. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's not about IU per se as it is about the fanbase...as I said, I can see the point... 

It's a moot point now, though... But Wong will forever be measured against TJD in future message board discussions...

And to be honest, the one I thought the Pacers really got wrong was picking Jalen Pickett over Seth Lundy... I'm not up on what the Pacers' needs are, but Lundy seems to be more of an NBA fit than Pickett does... 

If an NBA teams message board is fans arguing about the status of two very late 2nd round picks for years, that says all we need to know about the state of that organization. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Its really a depth chart thing man... 

Turner, Smith, I Jax, Theis. Again, its better for TJD that he is in GS. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

Wong the ACC POY is some how mince meat? 

I think some of you need to get out the IU bubble. 

Where did I say that? Trayce has 2 things the NBA has valued forever... Size and athleticism...

No one disparaged Wong... 

Don't distort peoples words to try to big time them... 

Just now, btownqb said:

What about Reggie over Alford? That was a historic decision. 

And that was also a generation ago.  The Leaf/Anunoby comparison is much more relevant today.  The Pacers bungled away the opportunity to get the much better player for reasons only they know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If an NBA teams message board is fans arguing about the status of two very late 2nd round picks for years, that says all we need to know about the state of that organization. 

Yet I've seen Alford/Miller Leaf/OG just this morning... And those were how long ago? 

Just now, 5fouls said:

And that was also a generation ago.  The Leaf/Anunoby comparison is much more relevant today.  The Pacers bungled away the opportunity to get the much better player for reasons only they know.

I mean.. it was pretty clear why over half the field passed on OG. I didn't want the Pacers to draft him either. 

I was wrong about that, clearly, but... a guy that had showed little offensive skill coming off a major injury. But yeah, that pick didnt work. A lot of them dont. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Yet I've seen Alford/Miller Leaf/OG just this morning... And those were how long ago? 

Those were first round picks, late-lottery, and still kind of stupid debates. 

Yeah, the Pacers should have drafted OG, or really anyone, over Leaf. Has nothing to do with IU though. 

OG could have played college basketball at Duquesne and it would have still been a bad pick to take Leaf. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Your words when I said nothing of the sort... 

Ok. I don't know what you're trying to prove. 

TJD is in probably the best spot possible. And again, thats what we should be celebrating. Not looking for a charity pick to the hometown team to appease a few fans. 

• Like 1

Look, I am beyond thrilled that TJD landed in GS.  Perfect fit for him.  And, the Warriors clearly dont see him as a long shot given the reported contract offer.

But, if I'm TJD, I feel disrespected as hell right now, and more so against teams that had multiple mid to late 2nd round picks.

Good organizations use 2nd round picks to improve their team.  Bad organizations use them on the 1 in a thousand dart throws.

Time will tell who made the correct pick, but my money is heavily on Golden State.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

So, with their last pick, the Pacers rub salt in the wound by selecting a Miami guy that helped knock the Hoosiers out of last year's tournament.

Pacers fans and IU fans might have an overlap, but they aren’t the same group of people. I’d actually say legit Pacers fans and IU fans aren’t that big of an overlap. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok. I don't know what you're trying to prove. 

TJD is in probably the best spot possible. And again, thats what we should be celebrating. Not looking for a charity pick to the hometown team to appease a few fans. 

You view TJD as a 'charity' pick?  You truly think the bigs on the bench for the Pacers are better long term options than TJD?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You view TJD as a 'charity' pick?  You truly think the bigs on the bench for the Pacers are better long term options than TJD?

I think it isn't close to as simple as you're trying to make it right there. 

Jaylen Smith, yes I absolutely think he's a better long term option. 

I am just really excited about the idea of TJD getting to play with CP3 in the 2nd unit. I mean TJD could be playing some serious playoff mins next season. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I find it curious that a Top 3 organization in the league recognizes your value, but your hometown team, the one your dad played for, doesnt.

If TJD flourishes and the Pacers flounder, Pritchard will have lost the fan base.

His biological father, not his dad. Dale didn’t even show up for him on senior night and he chose to take his dads last name. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1