NBA Thread

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Celtics get Jrue Holiday. Don't like giving up Robert Williams, but I guess you have to give something things up for a move like this. 

You went from Smart to Williams and to Holiday and Porzingis….your interior defense is suspect to say the least…and Smart could switch off on forwards. Guess you went for more fire power. You are all in now though…expensive team that is win now.

Just now, BGleas said:

He was already replaced with Porzingas who is also an exceptional defender. 

No…not out on the perimeter he isn’t. Williams was excellent on ball screens out there more than holding his own…Porzingis is good at blocking shots when he is coming over to help but his lateral defense and straight up post defense…sorry I don’t like the trade off.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

No…not out on the perimeter he isn’t. Williams was excellent on ball screens out there more than holding his own…Porzingis is good at blocking shots when he is coming over to help but his lateral defense and straight up post defense…sorry I don’t like the trade off.

Porzingas was the 4th best pick and roll big defender in the NBA last season. Since the knee injury, Williams hasn't been as good at that. 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You went from Smart to Williams and to Holiday and Porzingis….your interior defense is suspect to say the least…and Smart could switch off on forwards. Guess you went for more fire power. You are all in now though…expensive team that is win now.

This makes no sense. A lineup of Holiday, White (who was a much better defense than Smart last season), Brown, Tatum and Porzingas is going to be one of the best defensive lineups in the league. 

• Like 1

I do like Holiday to replace Smart…if the first trade wouldn’t have happened and you substitute Smart in the second…but then that probably wouldn’t have swayed Portland. Don’t get me wrong…I like your team…it’s still deadly because it has Tatum but I’m really worried about your interior defense. Plus you got a ton older and you added Porzingis and Holiday who have their injury concerns.

Just now, dgambill said:

I do like Holiday to replace Smart…if the first trade wouldn’t have happened and you substitute Smart in the second…but then that probably wouldn’t have swayed Portland. Don’t get me wrong…I like your team…it’s still deadly because it has Tatum but I’m really worried about your interior defense. Plus you got a ton older and you added Porzingis and Holiday who have their injury concerns.

We just got better defensively. Definitely injury concerns with Porzingas, but those same concerns are there with Williams. We needed another guard/wing defender and we got that as an upgrade. 

We need another big for depth, but have arguably the best starting 5 in the NBA that is multi-skilled on both ends of the floor. 

I love Marcus Smart, but he took a step back last season and Holiday is a big upgrade over him. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Porzingas was the 4th best pick and roll big defender in the NBA last season. Since the knee injury, Williams hasn't been as good at that. 

We will see…i accept your stat…I just think a lot more factors go into that than just Porzingis. Robert Williams was great imo and basically eliminated Bam and more than can hold his own with Embiid. Again like Holiday over Smart but this is definitely short term answer…maybe Celtics didn’t think they could afford to keep Williams and Smart.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

We just got better defensively. Definitely injury concerns with Porzingas, but those same concerns are there with Williams. We needed another guard/wing defender and we got that as an upgrade. 

We need another big for depth, but have arguably the best starting 5 in the NBA that is multi-skilled on both ends of the floor. 

I love Marcus Smart, but he took a step back last season and Holiday is a big upgrade over him. 

Holiday will have to play better than last postseason…he was awful against the Heat.

Just now, dgambill said:

We will see…i accept your stat…I just think a lot more factors go into that than just Porzingis. Robert Williams was great imo and basically eliminated Bam and more than can hold his own with Embiid. Again like Holiday over Smart but this is definitely short term answer…maybe Celtics didn’t think they could afford to keep Williams and Smart.

This wasn't about money, this was about upgrading the talent/roster, making Tatum and Brown the true leaders of the team, and building a roster that can win a title. 

Again, I hate giving up Williams, but a healthy Porzingas is a big upgrade there. 

We need depth now though. The bench is a bit weak, need another big there. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This wasn't about money, this was about upgrading the talent/roster, making Tatum and Brown the true leaders of the team, and building a roster that can win a title. 

Again, I hate giving up Williams, but a healthy Porzingas is a big upgrade there. 

We need depth now though. The bench is a bit weak, need another big there. 

Oh I know it is about a championship. It’s definitely about maximizing it now…of course with those two you will have a long window but Williams I thought should have been that third untouchable. I really think he was turning into that perfect piece for you guys. I knew you would have to move Smart to get that piece you thought to put you over the top. Holiday gives you more for sure but his window is pretty small….and his game showed some signs of slippage I thought but maybe it was just the Heat series…I do think he fits nicely next to Tatum and Brown and will play well with White. I think Portland did about as well as they could given their position. I think they will end up looking to move one of the two of Ayton and Williams to a contender. Not sure they need both to build around.

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh I know it is about a championship. It’s definitely about maximizing it now…of course with those two you will have a long window but Williams I thought should have been that third untouchable. I really think he was turning into that perfect piece for you guys. I knew you would have to move Smart to get that piece you thought to put you over the top. Holiday gives you more for sure but his window is pretty small….and his game showed some signs of slippage I thought but maybe it was just the Heat series…I do think he fits nicely next to Tatum and Brown and will play well with White. I think Portland did about as well as they could given their position. I think they will end up looking to move one of the two of Ayton and Williams to a contender. Not sure they need both to build around.

Holiday's window is bigger than Smart's. Smart's decline started last season and with his style of play it will go quick. 

Holiday was a better defender than Smart last season and is a big upgrade offensively. 

On Rob Williams, I was a big fan, but you're describing Rob pre knee injury. He's missed much of the last 3 seasons with injuries and it's slowed him down. The Celtics were actually better defensively the first 18 games last season when Williams was out. 

Of course I understand Porzingas has injury concerns as well, but he was excellent on both ends last season. 

The Celtics essntialy traded Smart and Williams for Holiday and Porzingas. That's an upgrade on both, fairly significant if both guys are fully healthy. 

My big concern is depth. We have arguably the best top 6, but we also lost Brogdon and Grant Williams from the bench. That's my worry. 

Good news is that Stevens still has a lot of draft capital and the Grant Williams TPE for bench depth moves. 

• Like 1

2. Pacers

Orlando was a play-in caliber team for most of the season. Indiana was a playoff caliber team for most of the season. The Pacers held the No. 6 seed halfway through last season at 23-19, and then Tyrese Haliburton got hurt. Indiana went 28-28 with him in the lineup last season and 7-19 without him. Like the Magic, they figure to improve significantly through internal development. Buddy Hield and T.J. McConnell are the only Pacers above the age of 27.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-the-10-nba-teams-that-missed-the-play-in-by-how-likely-they-are-to-make-it-this-season/

18 hours ago, rico said:

2. Pacers

Orlando was a play-in caliber team for most of the season. Indiana was a playoff caliber team for most of the season. The Pacers held the No. 6 seed halfway through last season at 23-19, and then Tyrese Haliburton got hurt. Indiana went 28-28 with him in the lineup last season and 7-19 without him. Like the Magic, they figure to improve significantly through internal development. Buddy Hield and T.J. McConnell are the only Pacers above the age of 27.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-the-10-nba-teams-that-missed-the-play-in-by-how-likely-they-are-to-make-it-this-season/

Pretty amazing for a 23 year old to make that big of a an impact on winning. Anyone that doesn't think he can be the alpha on an elite team in the coming years is mistaken. 

• Like 1