NBA Thread

25 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Just read in our paper (yes, I still take the newspaper), where Race Thompson is playing for the Knicks this summer, and guess what? He's hurt and won't play. His contract with the Knicks was only for the summer, what a wasted opportunity. 

Is it just me or is his body made of glass??

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/race-thompson-to-miss-nba-summer-league-with-knicks/

56 minutes ago, btownqb said:

he never needed a jumpshot

Completely agree. Now, a jumpshot most likely takes him from 2nd round pick to first rounder. I mean, it would have helped him for sure. 

But, not having a jumpshot doesn't prevent him from having a long, successful NBA career. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. Now, a jumpshot most likely takes him from 2nd round pick to first rounder. I mean, it would have helped him for sure. 

But, not having a jumpshot doesn't prevent him from having a long, successful NBA career. 

Health and staying in a great situation! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Health and staying in a great situation! 

Absolutely! In the NBA a jumper is nice for sure, but at 6'9" and atheltic, TJD can defend the entire court, is a good screener, has good hands and finishing ability in the PnR and defensively can switch almost and anything and block shots. 

With health and situation he should have a long career. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely! In the NBA a jumper is nice for sure, but at 6'9" and atheltic, TJD can defend the entire court, is a good screener, has good hands and finishing ability in the PnR and defensively can switch almost and anything and block shots. 

With health and situation he should have a long career. 

He’s also a plus facilitator at his size. For a team like the Warriors with so many shooters that is a huge positive. 

• Like 2

Heard the radio interview TJD gave after his debut that was captured on another fan site.  I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, TJD may not be the greatest basketball player to ever play at IU (although he is close), but he is certainly one of the best young men to ever represent IU. 

• Like 6

I'm not a Coach by any means....but I'd like to think as a lifelong Hoosier fan we fans have a good grasp of the game. I saw TJD do the pick and roll that Coach taught him all year....and it looked pretty easy. I know it's summer league but Trayce can find his way there.

PS....Jerry West was on DP this morning. Spoke about the art of passing. Says it's been a missing point in NBA. JHS and TJD can both pass and I'm certain it will help them in their careers. JHS is set....but I think TJD and his passing ability will help him so much. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Can’t get much higher praise than that.

Also what does that say about Jordan Poole lol 😆 

I'm going to temper my expectations just because the NBA is a different animal. Shoot the Bulls are parting ways with hometown kid Ayo Dosunmu pretty quickly (hat tip to Underwood for player development).....but I'm getting a really good vibe about TJD and not only how he can be used in that offense....but the confidence I believe guys like Curry and Kerr know that Trayce will understand (because of Woodson) how he's supposed to play for them.

Couldn't have found a better landing spot. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm going to temper my expectations just because the NBA is a different animal. Shoot the Bulls are parting ways with hometown kid Ayo Dosunmu pretty quickly (hat tip to Underwood for player development).....but I'm getting a really good vibe about TJD and not only how he can be used in that offense....but the confidence I believe guys like Curry and Kerr know that Trayce will understand (because of Woodson) how he's supposed to play for them.

Couldn't have found a better landing spot. 

I don’t expect a lot of minutes for him during a playoff run but during the season…no doubt I think he can contribute and be a positive on the floor.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

So Jaylen Brown gets the largest deal in NBA history? Cool...

Honestly it’s getting stupid…plus this fake cap bit only further separates the big markets from the small even further. You should never be able to go over the cap…else what’s the point? You should just have players contracts be a percentage…and pay them whatever they want. No limit. True parity because every team would have equal footing with money. In that scenario the cap could stand to go up some more but teams shouldn’t be able to just keep paying more and more. Sure it would be tough to have dynasties but teams would have to actually budget and be judicious about spending instead of just pay a tax to the rest of the teams.

it just incentives smaller markets to stay under the cap and take the free handouts to pocket the money for the owners but never invest it in your actual team. The cap means nothing to the richest owners…they just manipulate it to keep all their best players or trade for disgruntled stars. Plus the more they pay the less they play…gotta protect your investment until the playoffs you know.

Edited by dgambill

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

Honestly it’s getting stupid…plus this fake cap bit only further separates the big markets from the small even further. You should never be able to go over the cap…else what’s the point? You should just have players contracts be a percentage…and pay them whatever they want. No limit. True parity because every team would have equal footing with money. In that scenario the cap could stand to go up some more but teams shouldn’t be able to just keep paying more and more. Sure it would be tough to have dynasties but teams would have to actually budget and be judicious about spending instead of just pay a tax to the rest of the teams.

it just incentives smaller markets to stay under the cap and take the free handouts to pocket the money for the owners but never invest it in your actual team. The cap means nothing to the richest owners…they just manipulate it to keep all their best players or trade for disgruntled stars. Plus the more they pay the less they play…gotta protect your investment until the playoffs you know.

I would say it incentivizes bad owners to stay under the cap, not necessarily small markets. 

The Hornets just sold for $2B. You're telling me if they had 2 all-NBA players they couldn't pay them the max?

If Haliburton and say Mathurin both become all-nba players, the Pacers owner can't pay them the super max? I'd say at this point with the money that's involved, and the valuation of the teams, it's more just doesn't want to. 

The Celtics payroll heading into next season is $30M more than the Pacers and that's before Haliburton has gotten paid. 

There's certainly benefits to being a large market team, no doubt, but I think being able to afford payroll isn't one of them anymore. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

I would say it incentivizes bad owners to stay under the cap, not necessarily small markets. 

The Hornets just sold for $2B. You're telling me if they had 2 all-NBA players they couldn't pay them the max?

If Haliburton and say Mathurin both become all-nba players, the Pacers owner can't pay them the super max? I'd say at this point with the money that's involved, and the valuation of the teams, it's more just doesn't want to. 

The Celtics payroll heading into next season is $30M more than the Pacers and that's before Haliburton has gotten paid. 

There's certainly benefits to being a large market team, no doubt, but I think being able to afford payroll isn't one of them anymore. 

Well Celtics can afford to give max contracts to Brown and soon to Tatum and then go over the tax limit. I mean look at GS…I mean they’ve been way over the tax for several seasons. Even if the pacers had players good enough to pay their owner wouldn’t do it…he will stay under the cap because he doesn’t have the disposable income other billionaire owners have and the team doesn’t make enough money to offset the cap tax. Not all billionaire owners are the same…some have all their money tied up, some owners worth Is mostly from the team itself because they’ve owned it for a long time or it’s family owned and ownership is split between siblings etc…i agree bad owners are what sucks but if the league had a hard cap…like the nfl…there would be more parity (like the nfl)…but the nba doesn’t want that…they like their dynasties.

Edited by dgambill

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well Celtics can afford to give max contracts to Brown and soon to Tatum and then go over the tax limit. I mean look at GS…I mean they’ve been way over the tax for several seasons. Even if the pacers had players good enough to pay their owner wouldn’t do it…he will stay under the cap because he doesn’t have the disposable income other billionaire owners have and the team doesn’t make enough money to offset the cap tax. Not all billionaire owners are the same…some have all their money tied up, some owners worth Is mostly from the team itself because they’ve owned it for a long time or it’s family owned and ownership is split between siblings etc…i agree bad owners are what sucks but if the league had a hard cap…like the nfl…there would be more parity (like the nfl)…but the nba doesn’t want that…they like their dynasties.

NFL also has revenue sharing where other sports don't have