NBA Thread

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

He puts up high light reel dunks but he can’t throw it in the ocean. Career 32% 3pt shooter. Less than 50% from 2. Also categorically one of the worst rebounders in the league. At least he is taller than 6’5. Better use of second rd picks than cash I suppose.

We could have signed 3 all star players and you would find something to complain about. It is obvious you have some unhealthy hatred for the Pacers organization. Did someone in the organization steal your lunch money in school 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

We could have signed 3 all star players and you would find something to complain about. It is obvious you have some unhealthy hatred for the Pacers organization. Did someone in the organization steal your lunch money in school 

Nope. They’ve just stole my enjoyment of watching my favorite nba team. 

I definitely don’t hate the Pacers…but they definitely DIDNT acquire a player that will EVER be confused for an all star. If they want to win and get out of the first rd they definitely need to make much bigger moves…if they want to tank…they should be taking on bad salaries with draft picks attached…so they do the Pacer thing…play it right down the middle. Field a competitive team but one that is going nowhere.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Some of these Pacer moves makes me think we are just gathering players we think we can flip for better assets….which would be excellent…yet I’m sure we won’t do that in favor of trying to get a playoff birth 7/8 seed.

Man, nothing will make you happy with the Pacers. You can't just go from being in the lottery to being a contender for a championship. We are still less than two years of the rebuild. We only d cided to tear it down at the trade deadline the season before 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Nope. They’ve just stole my enjoyment of watching my favorite nba team. 

I definitely don’t hate the Pacers…but they definitely DIDNT acquire a player that will EVER be confused for an all star. If they want to win and get out of the first rd they definitely need to make much bigger moves…if they want to tank…they should be taking on bad salaries with draft picks attached…so they do the Pacer thing…play it right down the middle. Field a competitive team but one that is going nowhere.

When healthy last year they were so enjoyable to watch.  I went to two games in that early stretch of good play and the atmosphere in the arena was electric. When we were 23-18 and 4th in the East shows what they s team is capable of. What moves our there did you want the Pacers to make. I have no desire for the Pacers to get big name free agents like Kyrie or Harden. 

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

Man, nothing will make you happy with the Pacers. You can't just go from being in the lottery to being a contender for a championship. We are still less than two years of the rebuild. We only d cided to tear it down at the trade deadline the season before 

You are making my exact point! Should have tore it down sooner and should be making moves of a team fully committed to a tear down and rebuild…the time line for those things are much longer than 1 year and then say oh we’ve done enough now let’s go out and overpay for guys that didn’t even start for his last team. We are in a rush to get back into the playoffs instead of maximizing our assets in rebuilding this thing….and we will top out as a 5-6 seed.

Just now, dgambill said:

You are making my exact point! Should have tore it down sooner and should be making moves of a team fully committed to a tear down and rebuild…the time line for those things are much longer than 1 year and then say oh we’ve done enough now let’s go out and overpay for guys that didn’t even start for his last team. We are in a rush to get back into the playoffs instead of maximizing our assets in rebuilding this thing….and we will top out as a 5-6 seed.

Your mentally is the same as teams like Orlando, Sacramento that keeps hoping drafting in the lottery will get their team a title. How many years have they picked in the lottery with no playoff success. It didn't cost much to get Toppin and he might be better with more opportunity.  I remember when we traded Dale Davis to Portland for a young bench player that most never heard of. That guy was Jermaine O'Neal and ended up being an all pro player.

As for the timeline it is what it is and have to go by what is happening now. I feel the last couple of years has shown that this organization is turning things around. So if we didn't get those injuries and stayed in 4th or 5rh in tbe East you would have been upset with that. To me that is a bad way if looking at things. Never take winning for granted and if you can win you take that opportunity. It is the same way I feel when people said IU making the finals in 2002 was a bad thing for IU. Sometimes winning picks you in a season and you don't look the other way. Just this year Miami was in the play in games and barely got out of the play in and got to the finals.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Your mentally is the same as teams like Orlando, Sacramento that keeps hoping drafting in the lottery will get their team a title. How many years have they picked in the lottery with no playoff success. It didn't cost much to get Toppin and he might be better with more opportunity.  I remember when we traded Dale Davis to Portland for a young bench player that most never heard of. That guy was Jermaine O'Neal and ended up being an all pro player.

As for the timeline it is what it is and have to go by what is happening now. I feel the last couple of years has shown that this organization is turning things around. So if we didn't get those injuries and stayed in 4th or 5rh in tbe East you would have been upset with that. To me that is a bad way if looking at things. Never take winning for granted and if you can win you take that opportunity. It is the same way I feel when people said IU making the finals in 2002 was a bad thing for IU. Sometimes winning picks you in a season and you don't look the other way. Just this year Miami was in the play in games and barely got out of the play in and got to the finals.

Miami underachieved and was injured most of the season. We are not even close to their talent level. That’s why teams like us did ok at the beginning of the season because most of the veteran teams were resting and ramping up their stars. When the real season rolled around we were not very good. It’s fine…I’ll just accept it and watch us be mediocre and wish we had a GM like Danny Ainge or Sam Presti.

Edited by dgambill
  • Haha 1

Miami underachieved and was injured most of the season. That’s why teams like us did ok at the beginning of the season because most of the veteran teams were resting and ramping up their stars. When the real season rolled around we were not very good. It’s fine…I’ll just accept it and watch us be mediocre and wish we had a GM like Danny Ainge or Sam Presti.

I look at Miami's talent and they pretty much finished where that talent should finish. They have no super star and only have one all star type player in Butler but their coaching gets them in position to win. Later in the season when you said we were bad was when our best player was out injured 

Edited by IU Scott

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I look at Miami's talent and they pretty much finished where that talent should finish. They have no super star and only have one all star type player in Butler but their coaching gets them in position to win. Later in the season when you said we were bad was when our best player was out injured 

Do you think this team has the foundational pieces it needs to field an ECF team in the next 3 years? If no where do you think we will find the guys to play next to Hali to do that?

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If I didn’t care about the Pacers I wouldn’t be so bothered….it’s like watching the Colts under Grigson….given the most important piece (qb/pg) and squander it with the build around them not being able to put a good supporting cast.

I watch my teams through the good and the bad. I never said you didn't care but I just think you are wrong with your feeling about the game organization today.  I don't care what decisions were made 3-5 years ago but what they are doing now. They admitted they went about things wrong building the team with two big guys in Turner and Sabonis. They took care of that and got one of the better young PG's in the league. They hit on two draft picks last year and Mathurin was on the all rookie team. He has the type of passion for the game where he will get better every year. You just don't go from a lottery team to being a contender in one year 

Edited by IU Scott

Do you think this team has the foundational pieces it needs to field an ECF team in the next 3 years? If no where do you think we will find the guys to play next to Hali to do that?

Yes I do with Haliburton and Mathurin plus what we might be able to do the next couple years.  How many years of building a team did it take Denver to be a contender.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So what moves did you want the Pacers making the last two days that would have made us better.  I don't want us going into a season thinking about tanking and if circumstances happen in the season then I say tank.   Just like last year I wod rather us made the playoffs and stayed at 4 or 5.  When Haliburton got hurt and we lost all of those games then I wanted us to get the best pick over picking 12 or 13

If we flip Brown, Heild, Turner etc into a draft haul or some young talented future pieces then I’ll be super happy….hopefully we are only seeing the initial part of this.

We didn't sign Brown to flip him and I don't know if you can even trade a guy after signing as a free agent. I see trading Heild but I really doubt they will trade Turner it should they

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes I do with Haliburton and Mathurin plus what we might be able to do the next couple years.  How many years of building a team did it take Denver to be a contender.

We will see. I don’t think we have anyone of Jokic or Murray’s caliber and they would have competed much sooner had it not been for Murray’s catastrophic knee injury. I’m not even sure Mathurin is a starter in this league yet. He is awful on defense and he has a lot of work to fix his shooting. I mean it’s pretty bad.

Just now, dgambill said:

We will see. I don’t think we have anyone of Jokic or Murray’s caliber and they would have competed much sooner had it not been for Murray’s catastrophic knee injury. I’m not even sure Mathurin is a starter in this league yet. He is awful on defense and he has a lot of work to fix his shooting. I mean it’s pretty bad.

When  those two were in their first couple of years nobody thought they would be that great.  I see both Haliburton and Mathurin making a lot of all star team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Murray's rookie year 9.4 points shot 33% from 3

Jokic rookie year averaged 10 points, 6 rebs

Mathurin rookie year 16.7 points shot 32 from 3

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We didn't sign Brown to flip him and I don't know if you can even trade a guy after signing as a free agent. I see trading Heild but I really doubt they will trade Turner it should they

Brown can’t be traded until they reach a certain point during the season. 

Edited by DC2345

Just now, DC2345 said:

Brown can’t be traded us til they reach a certain point during the season. 

I thought so, just like when Phoenix match the offer sheet for Ayton. They couldn't trade him for like 6 months and couldn't trade him to the Pacers for a year.

Looks like Lillard is asking for a trade and would like to go to Miami. I know trades are different now but I don't see Miami having enough to trade for him. I would ask for Ban to start with but it appears it could start with Herro and picks.  To me that is not nearly enough for a player lol me Lillard 

Houston is spending the money with signing Dillon Brooks and Van Fleet 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

When healthy last year they were so enjoyable to watch.  I went to two games in that early stretch of good play and the atmosphere in the arena was electric. When we were 23-18 and 4th in the East shows what they s team is capable of. What moves our there did you want the Pacers to make. I have no desire for the Pacers to get big name free agents like Kyrie or Harden. 

This. We are really young and have a good core of guys.

They’ve proven they can win over a decent stretch, prior to our stud getting injured.

We made a good draft pick and just picked up a hood role player stretch four with some upside.

The reality is we are building the way most of the teams that I think we would want to emulate go about team building. 

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

You can definitely make the case we should have torn it down sooner, but I think in reality we are talking about a half season difference from what would have been reasonable.

You talk as if we need to be a bottom three team for several years, but when does that actually work? Give me a good five plus examples of that approach actually resulting in good things because I don’t think the results are what you make them out to be.