NBA Thread

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So with the Pacers sending Duarte to Kings....I'm assuming that's the last of the Pritchard picks who never received an extension? 

Seems like their clearing cap space up for a reason. Hopefully they can add a Bruce Brown type.

More likely clearing roster space because Duarte is still on his rookie salary. I would like to see us get Brown but he isn't a the kind of wing we need. I don't want us starting 3 guards anymore and don't see Mathurin as a 3.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t really get this deal, especially at this price. He’s definitely a different type of guy than what we currently have which is nice, just not sure how much he moves the needle for 2/$45m. 

Yeah, this is an overpay for a role player that had a solid playoff run around two great players. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, this is an overpay for a role player that had a solid playoff run around two great players. 

Yeah agreed. I think part of it is that we had a lot of money, but the Pacers really need a veteran forward.

Pacers are stacking up a lot of quality players but I think they’ve still got to make one more move at least. 

48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

2 year deal with team option for the 2nd is an overpay? Really like Brown. Feel like the Pacers added a good player slash really good player on the cheap. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

More likely clearing roster space because Duarte is still on his rookie salary. I would like to see us get Brown but he isn't a the kind of wing we need. I don't want us starting 3 guards anymore and don't see Mathurin as a 3.

I like Brown and glad Pacers got him. TBD on price tag....I think with team option for 2nd it's a good deal because their not committed long term. Also....the Pacers and other teams like them sometimes have to overpay to get guys.

Overall it's a good deal to me. Now go find a PF that some team doesn't want and roll it out next October.

• Like 1

I would rather us use our salary cap space to take on some teams bad salary and get draft capital or a young player….to me this move doesn’t move the needle.

Pacers in a league where long athletic wings are all the rage….let’s sign an undersized SF.

Brown 6’4

Duarte 6’5

Mathurin 6’5

Haliburton 6’5

Nembhard 6’3

Nesmeth 6’5

Heild 6’4

King 6’5

Wong 6’4

TJM 6’1

Geez that is a lot of short wings..😒

Glad we added something we didn’t already have.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Pacers also trading Duarte to Sacremento. Yet another wasted pick…this time a lottery pick. I guess give Pacers credit for not doubling down and extending a bad pick.

Kinda crazy I don’t think we have re-signed a single draft pick since Myles Turner who we drafted in 2015. That’s some great drafting we’ve done. 
Hopefully the last two years change that.

• Like 1

With what Brown signed for I assume he came here to start. With Haliburton, Brown and Mathurin starting I can see the Pacers trading Buddy Held. He is 30 and on his last year of his contract so it might be a good time to trade him.

Also it is about time that Brown played for Indiana. It appeared IU was in the lead for him until Miami came in late

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

With what Brown signed for I assume he came here to start. With Haliburton, Brown and Mathurin starting I can see the Pacers trading Buddy Held. He is 30 and on his last year of his contract so it might be a good time to trade him.

Also it is about time that Brown played for Indiana. It appeared IU was in the lead for him until Miami came in late

I'd personally keep Hield for now unless someone throws a lot at us. I think You can see how the first few months go and that he probably has more value in the middle of the season. I agree with @Seeking6 we probably still need a starting 4, unless they're planning on trying Smith as the starter there again. I can't see Walker starting his rookie year on this team.

As of today, I see our lineup looking like this:

Hali

Hield

Beni

Smith (would love to add a guy here)

Turner

Nembhard

Brown

Nesmith

Walker

IJax

Brissett

Hill

Sheppard

That's probably one of the deeper rosters in the NBA, and it's certainly very young with lots of flexibility in who we keep long term.... but to the point that's been made several times, we need someone else to develop into a that guy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd personally keep Hield for now unless someone throws a lot at us. I think You can see how the first few months go and that he probably has more value in the middle of the season. I agree with @Seeking6 we probably still need a starting 4, unless they're planning on trying Smith as the starter there again. I can't see Walker starting his rookie year on this team.

As of today, I see our lineup looking like this:

Hali

Hield

Beni

Smith (would love to add a guy here)

Turner

Nembhard

Brown

Nesmith

Walker

IJax

Brissett

Hill

Sheppard

That's probably one of the deeper rosters in the NBA, and it's certainly very young with lots of flexibility in who we keep long term.... but to the point that's been made several times, we need someone else to develop into a that guy.

Brissett just signed with the Celtics. Also you forgot Nwora who probably will be the backup 4. Also if McConnell is still on the roster he will be in the rotation.

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

I would rather us use our salary cap space to take on some teams bad salary and get draft capital or a young player….to me this move doesn’t move the needle.

Pacers in a league where long athletic wings are all the rage….let’s sign an undersized SF.

Brown 6’4

Duarte 6’5

Mathurin 6’5

Haliburton 6’5

Nembhard 6’3

Nesmeth 6’5

Heild 6’4

King 6’5

Wong 6’4

TJM 6’1

Geez that is a lot of short wings..😒

Glad we added something we didn’t already have.

Well Duarte will be gone. King is going to play overseas. Wong will be a 2 way emergency guard. McConnell, Haliburton, and Nembhard are PG’s. Heild, Neismith, Mathurin, and Brown are the only wings that will be on the roster. I’m also guessing they aren’t finished with the roster yet either. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Haliburton signed a max extension worth between 207-260 million if he reaches incentives. Hard to believe any of these guys are worth that but I guess if there is one guy on our team that deserves a max contract it’s him.

He absolutely deserves the max. You sell him way short. If he doesn’t improve at all he is worth that range, but he is 23 and going to keep improving.

I think besides Luka he would easily be the best guy under 25 in the league. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Brissett just signed with the Celtics. Also you forgot Nwora who probably will be the backup 4. Also if McConnell is still on the roster he will be in the rotation.

I don’t think Nwora would be over Walker but could be wrong.

I hope we deal TJM but yeah if we don’t he is getting minutes one way or another. I honestly think the Celts should add a guy like him. 

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Haliburton signed a max extension worth between 207-260 million if he reaches incentives. Hard to believe any of these guys are worth that but I guess if there is one guy on our team that deserves a max contract it’s him.

No clue how some of these numbers are doable or sustainable but if someone wants to throw a 1/4 of a Billion your way. Go grab it.

Bigger picture for NBA. If there is one league of the big 4 that would sell themselves to the Saudis....I can see them being the league. I know their TV deal is up at end of 25 and they are wanting to double the current $2.75B a year they get but with ESPN hemorrhaging $ will be curious to see if somebody else steps up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think Nwora would be over Walker but could be wrong.

I hope we deal TJM but yeah if we don’t he is getting minutes one way or another. I honestly think the Celts should add a guy like him. 

I think Walker will start at the 4. I think we have to trade Heild and or McConnell and Smith

Haliburton/ Nemhard 

Brown /Held

Mathurin/Nesmith 

Walker/Nwora

Turner/Jackson 

Edited by IU Scott

Obi Toppin to Pacers. Pretty solid addition at a spot in need for only 2 2nd round picks. Roster is coming together and as much as I've criticized some stuff this looks like a team that is getting closer. Not the top of the East but 5-7 range?? Some of you guys could tell me better.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Obi Toppin to Pacers. Pretty solid addition at a spot in need for only 2 2nd round picks. Roster is coming together and as much as I've criticized some stuff this looks like a team that is getting closer. Not the top of the East but 5-7 range?? Some of you guys could tell me better.

Sounds like a good trade

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think that seems pretty reasonable in terms of expectations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

He puts up high light reel dunks but he can’t throw it in the ocean. Career 32% 3pt shooter. Less than 50% from 2. Also categorically one of the worst rebounders in the league. At least he is taller than 6’5. Better use of second rd picks than cash I suppose. Still don’t have a proven starter at the 4 but that’s ok if we are going to run young guys and not trying to win.

Edited by dgambill