NBA Thread

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m complaining about what the pacers have done the last couple years. Not necessarily about draft picks but certainly decisions to not move off players and not be more aggressive in trying to move up in the draft or target younger guys that fit the rebuild timeline. Instead of moving back and trading into future drafts I want to see them package and move up in the current draft. Past two years. I want to see us commit to really tanking when there is nothing to play for like other teams do instead of just letting chips fall where they may. A few more games and you end up in the top 5 and who knows if those extra ping pong balls turn into VW.

It also takes two teams to make a trade and none of the teams ahead of the Pacers traded their picks. It is easy to complain about a team not making a move but you have no idea the asking price. When you are in a start of the rebuild the worst thing to do is to get impatient and try to speed up the process.

• Like 1

The deal is, someone like me, who never watches an NBA game, and only knows anything from the headlines on CBS Sports, has no idea who Halliburton is. Name doesn’t ring a bell from college, and the Pacers don’t resonate in the media. There is nothing about the Pacers that screams “watch us!” To be relevant. To be Batman and Robin, there has to be an awareness of what the franchise has outside of the Indianapolis area 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Give it some time, it has really been a year and a half for this rebuild. Pritchard did very well when the so called star players wanted out. The PG trade we got two eventual all stars. The VO trade we got a 20 point scorer in Lavert then turned him for a first round pick. Got a first rounder for Brogdon who we signed as a free agent but we are cheap.

Scott…all those trades turned into how many wins for us? We are unequivocally worse than we were when PG was here…when Vic was here. (We were fortunate he didn’t sign the deal the Pacers offered him or we would be stuck with a huge unmovable contract)

You never win a trade when you ship out an all nba guy but at least get a slew of picks like the Pelicans/Celtics did and then tank hard. I know we disagree and that is fine but the PG trade was horrible …and if you think oh well we added Halliburton in the end well if we would have committed to a total rebuild instead of trying to remain a playoff team with contribute now guys then it’s a good bet we could have just drafted him ourselves along with having added lots of good young talent and possibly already finished our rebuild by now.

You people are writing off Haliburton way too easily. He was one of only 3 players in the NBA to average at least 20 ppg and 10 apg. The other 2 were young and Harden. He’s better through 3 years than Curry was and he shoots the 3 off the dribble at a level that is only matched by Curry himself. I’m not saying he’ll be a superstar but he could very well be the 2nd best player on a really good team if he keeps progressing the way he has to this point in his career.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The deal is, someone like me, who never watches an NBA game, and only knows anything from the headlines on CBS Sports, has no idea who Halliburton is. Name doesn’t ring a bell from college, and the Pacers don’t resonate in the media. There is nothing about the Pacers that screams “watch us!” To be relevant. To be Batman and Robin, there has to be an awareness of what the franchise has outside of the Indianapolis area 

So how do you know if you don't pay attention to the team.Haliburton I s regarded as one of the better young players in the league by the national media. He is only 22 years old and has already made the all star team. The only people who don't see the Pacers going in the right direction are the few on this message board 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It also takes two teams to make a trade and none of the teams ahead of the Pacers traded their picks. It is easy to complain about a team not making a move but you have no idea the asking price. When you are in a start of the rebuild the worst thing to do is to get impatient and try to speed up the process.

We finally agree. We need to offload the vets for young players/picks and invest fully in a complete rebuild. Not trying to speed up the process of making the playoffs before we have drafted the corner pieces of the franchise.

You are right. It’s hard on draft night to move up when the youth movement is right there. We should have moved picks/players before the end of the year. Not only would it have met us picks in this deep draft but helped us bottom out and get a higher pick then 7.

You’re also right…the only team that consistently moved back was the Pacers. Moved back an entire draft and twice in the second rd. Heck we even moved back out first pick.

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Scott…all those trades turned into how many wins for us? We are unequivocally worse than we were when PG was here…when Vic was here. (We were fortunate he didn’t sign the deal the Pacers offered him or we would be stuck with a huge unmovable contract)

You never win a trade when you ship out an all nba guy but at least get a slew of picks like the Pelicans/Celtics did and then tank hard. I know we disagree and that is fine but the PG trade was horrible …and if you think oh well we added Halliburton in the end well if we would have committed to a total rebuild instead of trying to remain a playoff team with contribute now guys then it’s a good bet we could have just drafted him ourselves along with having added lots of good young talent and possibly already finished our rebuild by now.

SMH, let it play out because it has been a year and a half since they decide to rebuild this team. We got two all star caliber guards in the roster and some other good young players.  We might fall flat on our face but at least give it time before we make a judgment on this team. It took Denver over 6 years of stocking the team to get to this level.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So how do you know if you don't pay attention to the team.Haliburton I s regarded as one of the better young players in the league by the national media. He is only 22 years old and has already made the all star team. The only people who don't see the Pacers going in the right direction are the few on this message board 

Do you visit any Pacer boards? Just wondering. I’m not here to say everything we’ve done is crap but just we haven’t committed 100% to the rebuild. We’ve done it half @ssed  we have one eye on the 8 seed while doing this. 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We finally agree. We need to offload the vets for young players/picks and invest fully in a complete rebuild. Not trying to speed up the process of making the playoffs before we have drafted the corner pieces of the franchise.

You are right. It’s hard on draft night to move up when the youth movement is right there. We should have moved picks/players before the end of the year. Not only would it have met us picks in this deep draft but helped us bottom out and get a higher pick then 7.

You’re also right…the only team that consistently moved back was the Pacers. Moved back an entire draft and twice in the second rd. Heck we even moved back out first pick.

There were a lot of trades later in the draft but just for draft picks. I saw one trade where one of the picks were 2030

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don’t know. That’s the point. I have no idea who he is. I have no clue if the Pacers are going in the right direction or not. I read the headlines and they never mention the Pacers 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Do you visit any Pacer boards? Just wondering. I’m not here to say everything we’ve done is crap but just we haven’t committed 100% to the rebuild. We’ve done it half @ssed  we have one eye on the 8 seed while doing this. 

No I don't, I rather listen to unbiased opinions on things because fans can't. For the most part the local and national media think the Pacers has done a great job. Not saying this means anything but the Pacers got a good grade on the draft last night.

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don’t know. That’s the point. I have no idea who he is. I have no clue if the Pacers are going in the right direction or not. I read the headlines and they never mention the Pacers 

I have seen plenty of media talking about the Pacers and they think the Pacers are a rising team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

SMH, let it play out because it has been a year and a half since they decide to rebuild this team. We got two all star caliber guards in the roster and some other good young players.  We might fall flat on our face but at least give it time before we make a judgment on this team. It took Denver over 6 years of stocking the team to get to this level.

The same guy rebuilding us made all those moves. Thing is where would we be if we had committed to a rebuild when we traded George. On top of that we brought back a consultant that also made some of the worst moves I’ve ever seen. I hope we stay committed to a real rebuild. But the way we are going about it still tells me we want to get back into the playoffs as soon as possible…

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No I don't, I rather listen to unbiased opinions on things because fans can't. For the most part the local and national media think the Pacers has done a great job. Not saying this means anything but the Pacers got a good grade on the draft last night.

Local and national media are unbiased? Sure. You base your opinion of people on this board disagreeing with me but won’t base it on fans who are obsessed with the team on the team board. 

Edited by dgambill

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have seen plenty of media talking about the Pacers and they think the Pacers are a rising team. 

That’s the problem. They should be committed to going the opposite way but they are infatuated with being an 8 seed. We will top out as a first rd out if we don’t get some more top end talent…and those guys aren’t coming here in free agency to play on 6 seed.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The same guy rebuilding us made all those moves. Thing is where would we be if we had committed to a rebuild when we traded George. On top of that we brought back a consultant that also made some of the worst moves I’ve ever seen. I hope we stay committed to a real rebuild. But the way we are going about it still tells me we want to get back into the playoffs as soon as possible…

Not totally true because Buchanan is the GM now and he was the one at the press conference today and not Pritchard. I think we will make the playoffs next year. I think some of you just gloss over the fact we were 23-18 at the half way point year. At that time we were 4th in the Eastern Conference. If Haliburton hadn't got injured I would say we had a very good chance at making the playoffs

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That’s the problem. They should be committed to going the opposite way but they are infatuated with being an 8 seed. We will top out as a first rd out if we don’t get some more top end talent…and those guys aren’t coming here in free agency to play on 6 seed.

So what should they have done last night because it was reported the Pacers tried to move up but the cost was to high. They also tried to move up to around 17-20 but the same thing. Like I said you can try but it takes two teams to make a trade. If you want to rebuild then you don't trade away a lot of assets to move up in the draft.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Not totally true because Buchanan is the GM now and he was the one at the press conference today and not Pritchard. I think we will make the playoffs next year. I think some of you just gloss over the fact we were 23-18 at the half way point year. At that time we were 4th in the Eastern Conference. If Haliburton hadn't got injured I would say we had a very good chance at making the playoffs

The regular season is not a good indicator of who is good. First off most teams are newly put together and figuring out how to play together early on and also they are slowly ramping up and resting stars. And how exactly would making the playoffs help us in improving this team and drafting another star. OKC, Houston, Detroit, San Antonio what did they do!? They moved their vets (and even stars) to rack up draft picks and doing so over multiple seasons…the Pacers are trying to get back into the playoffs as soon as possible. That isn’t going to get it done if we want a championship.

I also find it funny how so many people can look at the same thing but see a whole different thing.

On the radio after the Celtics trade for Porzingas I listened to one station talking about how great it was fir the Celtics and they are the best team in tbe East. Flipping channels and found another guy talking about how it was not a great trade and it was a panic move 

So what should they have done last night because it was reported the Pacers tried to move up but the cost was too high. They also tried to move up to around 17-20 but the same thing. Like I said you can try but it takes two teams to make a trade. If you want to rebuild then you don't trade away a lot of assets to move up in the draft.

It wasn’t about last night Scott. It’s called a plan. You make moves and position yourself months in advance. Draft picks are at their most valuable on draft night. You line that sh!t up earlier in  the year. You move Myles, Heild, TJM….put together packages in advance. And most importantly you lose games at the same time so you end up with a top 3 pick….not just outside of the top tier guys. 

I also find it funny how so many people can look at the same thing but see a whole different thing.

On the radio after the Celtics trade for Porzingas I listened to one station talking about how great it was fir the Celtics and they are the best team in tbe East. Flipping channels and found another guy talking about how it was not a great trade and it was a panic move 

Most people see what they want to see. Most have an agenda. It’s impossible to know how the trade will shake out at this point. It’s a big move but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right move.

Edited by dgambill

The regular season is not a good indicator of who is good. First off most teams are newly put together and figuring out how to play together early on and also they are slowly ramping up and resting stars. And how exactly would making the playoffs help us in improving this team and drafting another star. OKC, Houston, Detroit, San Antonio what did they do!? They moved their vets (and even stars) to rack up draft picks and doing so over multiple seasons…the Pacers are trying to get back into the playoffs as soon as possible. That isn’t going to get it done if we want a championship.

There are no guarantee picking high every year will get you a star either. How many years has Orlando, Charlotte and a few others picked high and still not got a star. 

Jokic picked 41st, Giannis 16, Butler 30th just to name a few off the top of my head.

I get it we see things differently and neither will change each other's view. I am out, time for dinner

• Like 1

It wasn’t about last night Scott. It’s called a plan. You make moves and position yourself months in advance. Draft picks are at their most valuable on draft night. You line that sh!t up earlier in  the year. You move Myles, Heild, TJM….put together packages in advance. And most importantly you lose games at the same time so you end up with a top 3 pick….not just outside of the top tier guys. 

They did that a couple of days ago when they looked to the future and got a first next year. That pick will probably be in the low 20's. That pick would be better than the 29th we gave up last night. We can use those picks on players or use it to get more experience players. I have seen the plan the last year and a half. It was to get younger and more length and athletic ability which they have done.  They traded guys like Brogdon to get picks