NBA Thread

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok. I don't know what you're trying to prove. 

TJD is in probably the best spot possible. And again, thats what we should be celebrating. Not looking for a charity pick to the hometown team to appease a few fans. 

I'm not trying to "prove" anything... Just don't be disingenuous when trying to discuss something...

I understand the argument about depth and need, but there's also an argument to be made about best player available/potentially bigger upside...

And even if you take IU bias out of that equation, it certainly is a debate that can be had

Edited by IUFLA

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

His biological father, not his dad. Dale didn’t even show up for him on senior night and he chose to take his dads last name. 

As savy as Ray is... and being a pro athlete himself, I also don't think it's out of the question that maybe TJD told certain teams not to draft him. 

• Like 1

JHS and TJD landed well in my opinion. Both now playing for a couple of top tier, super competitive clubs and along side some of the very best. I would have liked to see Trace go earlier based on my personal respect for him but he may not have landed as well as he did in the end.

Have a great Friday everyone!

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's not about IU per se as it is about the fanbase...as I said, I can see the point... 

It's a moot point now, though... But Wong will forever be measured against TJD in future message board discussions...

And to be honest, the one I thought the Pacers really got wrong was picking Jalen Pickett over Seth Lundy... I'm not up on what the Pacers' needs are, but Lundy seems to be more of an NBA fit than Pickett does... 

but there’s really not the overlap.

I don’t know a single Pacers fan that is upset about it. Now there are IU fans that like basketball and casually follow the Pacers because it’s the local NBA team, but those fans are fairweather. @5fouls can cry all he wants, he wasn’t driving up from Louisville to see more than one game with TJD and he still will do it when GSW is here. The Pacers need to be good to bring in fans consistently, the TJD effect for the bottom line would be incredibly short lived when he sits on the bench behind more promising young guys.

He went to a perfect situation for him to utilize his skills. Any TJD fan should be thrilled, it’s incredibly be selfish to pout that he got what is best for him because you can’t see him locally. That’s not rooting for or loving the kid, it’s selfish. 

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I said I understand the point... I didn't say I necessarily agreed with it... I don't watch the NBA enough to know the nuances...

A big part of Pickett's game was backing people down and using his strength... I don't see him doing that in the NBA... Lundy is a better outside shooter and defender...

And if you don't think down the road Wong/TJD career comparisons are inevitable for IU or Pacer fan forums, I don't know what to tell you... 

The Pacers didn’t draft Pickett…

Edited by KoB2011

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I find it curious that a Top 3 organization in the league recognizes your value, but your hometown team, the one your dad played for, doesnt.

If TJD flourishes and the Pacers flounder, Pritchard will have lost the fan base.

You think most Pacer fans are IU fans? I’ve found that most don’t even follow college basketball and a majority didn’t go to college. the rest it’s pretty evenly split between IU/PU. I don’t think many care if we pass on an IU guy unless it was a position of need. (See OG a few years ago and we took Leaf).

I don’t hate them for not taking him. He wasn’t a position of need and he is a pretty known commodity that likely doesn’t have a lot of room for growth. Pacers didn’t need guys that can step in and contribute right away. GS and they are on different time lines..not to mention GS needs the length and athleticism.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Look, I am beyond thrilled that TJD landed in GS.  Perfect fit for him.  And, the Warriors clearly dont see him as a long shot given the reported contract offer.

But, if I'm TJD, I feel disrespected as hell right now, and more so against teams that had multiple mid to late 2nd round picks.

Good organizations use 2nd round picks to improve their team.  Bad organizations use them on the 1 in a thousand dart throws.

Time will tell who made the correct pick, but my money is heavily on Golden State.

Great point. So dumb when organizations like the Nuggets throw second round picks away on projects and foreign players. They should take role players at positions they don’t need. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chad Buchanan just said that TJD and his representation didn’t want the Pacers to pick him due to their roster. The Pacers loved TJD but it wasn’t a good fit with 4 centers already on the roster. You can all stop blaming the Pacers for not picking him now. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

but there’s really not the overlap.

I don’t know a single Pacers fan that is upset about it. Now there are IU fans that like basketball and casually follow the Pacers because it’s the local NBA team, but those fans are fairweather. @5fouls can cry all he wants, he wasn’t driving up from Louisville to see more than one game with TJD and he still will do it when GSW is here. The Pacers need to be good to bring in fans consistently, the TJD effect for the bottom line would be incredibly short lived when he sits on the bench behind more promising young guys.

He went to a perfect situation for him to utilize his skills. Any TJD fan should be thrilled, it’s incredibly be selfish to pout that he got what is best for him because you can’t see him locally. That’s not rooting for or loving the kid, it’s selfish. 

You need to read my post more closely... 

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Chad Buchanan just said that TJD and his representation didn’t want the Pacers to pick him due to their roster. The Pacers loved TJD but it wasn’t a good fit with 4 centers already on the roster. You can all stop blaming the Pacers for not picking him now. 

So a GM gets on the air morning after draft to explain their side of things to appease the locals?? That's a weak move...oh well. Pacers will be drafting in the lottery again next year and JHS/TJD are with 2 great organizations. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So a GM gets on the air morning after draft to explain their side of things to appease the locals?? That's a weak move...oh well. Pacers will be drafting in the lottery again next year and JHS/TJD are with 2 great organizations. 

That's your takeaway? Day after draft local media hits are SOP in the NBA. 

This wasn't some strategic "appease the locals" plant interview. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He was asked a question and gave an honest answer about the situation. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Talking about why you picked who you did is common, not about why you did not pick someone else.

I wonder if he explained why they made the 2nd round picks they did.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes...that's my takeaway. The answer should have been he's a fine player we just had others better suited for us and what we're doing. The "they didn't want us" reply is weak.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I can't believe there'd ever be much discussion past this month about to players picked 55+.... so I think you're way off there. 

Pickett can for sure get buckets on a 2nd unit. I don't think Lundy will guard wings as effectively as Pickett can guard back up points. But again, that wasn't the Pacers pick. 

I think we have the answer to why the Pacers didn't draft TJD. The Pacers GM was in our local sports talk show.  They brought up not drafting THD and he said he loved Trace and his game. He said that there wasn't a fit but would love to have him on the Pacers. He said sometimes the feeling needs to be mutual and said the Trace and his representatives didn't want the Pacers to draft him because of the roster makeup

• Like 1

As @5fouls said, describing Trayce Jackson-Davis as a "charity pick" is an insult...

As I said...Take the IU bias out of it (and the fact that he was a legend for IU which is simply the cherry on the sundae, not the whole sundae itself) and there can still be a conversation about who has the most potential, and, who the Pacers should have picked...

You can talk about "need" and "depth" all you want, but I'm more interested in difference makers...And I think TJD will be one...

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Talking about why you picked who you did is common, not about why you did not pick someone else.

I wonder if he explained why they made the 2nd round picks they did.

I'm sure he was asked about each player they chose and I'm sure he gave answers as to why they drafted those guys. I'm sure he was asked about TJD and he gave the explanation for what happened. The explanation makes 100% perfect sense. 

• Like 4

As somebody who doesn't care about the Pacers, both of our guys landed in situations that appear to be good for them. I'm not sure GS could be more perfect for TJD. Lakers are great for JHS - they have developed some great guards. I can't believe the Pacers could give either a better opportunity, long term. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

As @5fouls said, describing Trayce Jackson-Davis as a "charity pick" is an insult...

As I said...Take the IU bias out of it (and the fact that he was a legend for IU which is simply the cherry on the sundae, not the whole sundae itself) and there can still be a conversation about who has the most potential, and, who the Pacers should have picked...

You can talk about "need" and "depth" all you want, but I'm more interested in difference makers...And I think TJD will be one...

You can't remove the IU bias though, it's blatant in this conversation. If TJD had gone to MSU instead of IU, nobody in this thread would be mad at the Pacers for passing on him with a very late 2nd round pick. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I'm sure he was asked about each player they chose and I'm sure he gave answers as to why they drafted those guys. I'm sure he was asked about TJD and he gave the explanation for what happened. The explanation makes 100% perfect sense. 

People just want to complain. It’s that simple

• Like 5