Trivia

rico

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yessir! 13 Hall of Fame players...not to mention both managers (Joe McCarthy and Rogers Hornsby) and umpire Bill Klem...

What WS had the most since division play stared in 1969?

Why do I always forget about the Phillies being in the World Series in 83....I was going to say someone vs the Reds but wasn't going to say Phillies like Rico did. That beats my guess. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Hmmmmm....I got a feeling there is Red tie-in there.  LOL  I will go with '83.  When the O's beat the Philadelphia Reds.  You would have had Morgan, Perez, Schmidt, Carlton, Ripken, Murray, and Palmer.  So that is 7, unless I am missing someone.

Great going!There was another series that had 7 as well though...more recent...

46 minutes ago, rico said:

Stepping back from sports, I heard this on the radio this morning and found it interesting.

What toy was the first to be advertised on TV?

More worthless knowledge i believe is was Mr Potato head in the late 40"s early 50's. IN our US history culture sections of the decades I actually presented that in class. If wrong I taught a lot of kids some wrong info over the years

• Like 2

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

More worthless knowledge i believe is was Mr Potato head in the late 40"s early 50's. IN our US history culture sections of the decades I actually presented that in class. If wrong I taught a lot of kids some wrong info over the years

Yes it was....BTW the potato was not supplied.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Good guess, but no.

It was that damn song ("it's slinky, it's slinky that wonderful, wonderful toy!") that made me guess that. In my head 55 years later...

I figured out quickly Slinky was good for 3 tricks: Stair walking, the hand tumble, and seeing how far you and a friend could stretch it...

3rd trick usually ended the fun...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rico said:

The troublemaker known as Alex Johnson?

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think i heard this one.  Initials AJ??

Yep, Alex Johnson...the year after he and Chico Ruiz were traded to the Angels for Pedro Borbon, Vern Geishert, and Jim McGlothin...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yep, Alex Johnson...the year after he and Chico Ruiz were traded to the Angels for Pedro Borbon, Vern Geishert, and Jim McGlothin...

I do believe he batted over .300 both years he was in Cincy.  At the time, according to Marty, it was view as a bad trade for the Redlegs.