Trivia

rico

1 hour ago, rico said:

Jack Morris pops out in my mind.  Tigers, Twins, and Jays?

1 hour ago, rico said:

Lonnie Smith.  '80 Phillies, '82 Cards, and the '85 Royals.  He was also on the Braves for 2 WS losses.

Yes and yes...2 more... one's a HOFer...

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Well traveled guy.  And one funny sum beach...Jay Johnstone?  A's?  Yankees?  Dodgers?

Yes! That was the hard one...

Lonnie Smith was a little difficult too, but he had that amazing run from 80-91...If he hadn't gotten faked out by the Twins, he mighta had 4 and been all by himself...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

Just now, IUFLA said:

Yes! That was the hard one...

Lonnie Smith was a little difficult too, but he had that amazing run from 82-91...If he hadn't gotten faked out by the Twins, he mighta had 4 and been all by himself...

"The scoreboard stumper" always pays off for me.  In baseball history there had to have been a former Red that done it or it wouldn't have been a question during a Cincy broadcast.  But I specifically remember Jay as Marty broke into a story about Johnstone getting fined for swinging on a take sign...he hit a HR.  That might have been when he was a Cub?

Just now, rico said:

"The scoreboard stumper" always pays off for me.  In baseball history there had to have been a former Red that done it or it wouldn't have been a question during a Cincy broadcast.  But I specifically remember Jay as Marty broke into a story about Johnstone getting fined for swinging on a take sign...he hit a HR.  That might have been when he was a Cub?

I believe it was...but as a Cub, he was known more for his comedy than his hitting prowess... :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Wasn't he the inventor of the "hot foot?"

I think the "hot foot" has been around baseball forever...I know in "Ball Four" Bouton said he gave Joe Pepitone (another former Cub) his "Atomic Hot Foot" that had flames licking at Joe's shoelaces...

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Well traveled guy.  And one funny sum beach...Jay Johnstone?  A's?  Yankees?  Dodgers?

I remember when the Cubs signed him. I think we discussed in other thread but was thinking how much a multiple WS winner would help. And the rest is history...