Tony Bennett Retiring

8 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

In a shock - Tony Bennett is retiring before the season started and supposedly it’s not health related. I don’t necessarily agree with the decision to retire now and not after the season but sometimes in life you just have a moment of clarity and I guess his was right then and there!

there is a conversation happening in the college hoops across america thread. But i think this is a good place to continue as this could be a broader subject.

I was listening to something somewhere, where the guy stated that he was more surprised of when TB retired than him actually retiring. It was thought for a couple of years that Tony would step away because of the college landscape and how it has already taken out Jay Wright and others. The timing of it probably has to deal with being able to hand the reigns over to his assistant. Kinda like how CBK did for Pat.

• Like 1

Bennett — dressed in his signature suit-minus-tie look — told those gathered at his exit news conference that name, image and likeness money and the transfer portal have brought elements to the job that he’s “not great at.”

“I looked at myself and I realized, I’m no longer the best coach to lead this program,” Bennett said with athletic director Carla Williams seated next to him. “If you’re going to do it, you’ve got to be all in. You’ve got to have everything. And if you do it half-hearted, it’s not fair to the university and those young men. That’s what made me step down.”

Williams said Bennett told her of his decision on Wednesday morning, though she noted that the two had discussed the possibility at times over the past three years.

“The game and college athletics is not in a healthy spot,” Bennett said. “And there needs to be change. I think I was equipped to do the job here the old way. That’s who I am and that’s how it was. My staff has buoyed me along to get to this point, but there needs to be change.”

Bennett said he thought seriously about stepping away immediately after the past season concluded with a First Four loss to Colorado State in Dayton, Ohio.

But, because the current recruiting calendar required him to immediately go to work evaluating potential transfers, Bennett said he never fully took the time to consider his situation.

Then, finally, there was a break in his hectic schedule. He and his wife, Laurel, took a trip during UVa’s fall break, giving the couple the chance to process and contemplate the future.

“That’s where I kind of came to the realization that I can’t do this,” Bennett said, becoming overcome by emotion. “It’s not fair to these guys, and to this institution that I love so much, to continue on when you know you’re not the right guy for the job.”

Former assistant Ron Sanchez, who rejoined the program last season, will take over as interim coach. Williams said a national search for Bennett’s replacement will begin shortly, but Bennett is hopeful Sanchez will perform well enough to land the full-time post.

https://apnews.com/article/virginia-basketball-tony-bennett-retires-7151169d37e4fb6d8ed324671f24cb61

Those comments are pretty nuclear. Might be hard for an AD at a big time school to hire him in the future if he wants to coach.  

Speaking generally, I’m sure coaching itself is incredibly rewarding.  But I’m over 50 and I would find it loathsome to have to go over the top with recruiting 16 and 17 year olds.   

The NCAA is literally useless.  They have no clue.  That’s been true for decades (bumper stickers etc) but they are as toothless as a town in Kentucky.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Those comments are pretty nuclear. Might be hard for an AD at a big time school to hire him in the future if he wants to coach.  

Speaking generally, I’m sure coaching itself is incredibly rewarding.  But I’m over 50 and I would find it loathsome to have to go over the top with recruiting 16 and 17 year olds.   

The NCAA is literally useless.  They have no clue.  That’s been true for decades (bumper stickers etc) but they are as toothless as a town in Kentucky.  

Matt Painter has to be having many of the same thoughts. He’s currently the guy spinning plates on the sticks

• Like 1

On 10/18/2024 at 4:55 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Yeah I think he would be better as a college basketball studio analyst or an NBA assistant coach