Nebraska @ IU Pre-Game Thread

The Nebraska Cornhuskers (2-1, 5-1) visit the Indiana Hoosiers (3-0, 6-0) on Saturday, October 19th for a 12:00pm ET kickoff on FOX. The game will be the Big Noon Kickoff game. Indiana enters the contest ranked #16 in the AP Top 25 and #18 in the AFCA Coaches Poll, while Nebraska is ranked #27 and #25 respectively.

Indiana leads the all-time series 10-9-3, with Nebraska winning the most recent meeting on 10/1/2022 by a score of 35-21 in Lincoln. The most recent Indiana win in the series was on 10/26/2019 by a score of 38-31 in Lincoln.

While the Vegas odds are not available yet, ESPN analytics has IU as a heavy favorite.

According to SP+ rankings provided by ESPN (tempo and opponent adjusted efficiency metrics), Indiana is 15th overall with the 15th best offense and 30th best defense while Nebraska is 22nd overall with the 83rd best offense and the #1 defense in the country. Nebraska also boasts one of the top freshman QB's in the country in Dylan Raiola.

I am expecting a very competitive game with the Hoosiers pulling away by a touchdown or more in the 4th quarter. 

image.png.292f15b4886773aa625e6406fb227488.pngimage.png.898479263a9cdf30bfc71105daf7a74d.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TiminNC said:

I expect a high scoring game.  Our D has to stop their O.  

Maryland is the highest ranked offense we have faced so far this season and they scored 28 with a veteran QB at the helm. I'm thinking we hold Nebraska to 24 or less. I'm very interested in our O versus their D. Hanging 40 on Nebraska to continue our 40+ scoring streak would be very impressive. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'll admit...Not my work...But a Warthog anti-tank/tractor pic was too good to pass up :) 

Yeah, I will have to admit, the AI GPT art generator is pretty cool. All you have to do is tell it things you want to see in the image, setting, color etc. and it gets pretty close. Many time things are out of wack, like the tractor with with a two front ends, a steering wheel in the middle and no driver. It's pretty impressive though. 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2024 at 8:42 PM, bronkonagurski said:

Maryland is the highest ranked offense we have faced so far this season and they scored 28 with a veteran QB at the helm. I'm thinking we hold Nebraska to 24 or less. I'm very interested in our O versus their D. Hanging 40 on Nebraska to continue our 40+ scoring streak would be very impressive. 

SP+ has Nebraska as the #1 defense in the country. If we score 40+ against them that proves that our offense is elite regardless of competition. Even scoring 28+ would be a pretty good performance.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kdug said:

SP+ has Nebraska as the #1 defense in the country. If we score 40+ against them that proves that our offense is elite regardless of competition. Even scoring 28+ would be a pretty good performance.

I personally think your offense will score plenty.  This feels like a race to 30.  However, I do agree, scoring 28+ on our defense will confirm your offense is elite.  

https://t.co/uTP8JVe0q4

image.png.916aab85fba527625225f542a93707e4.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NU Fan said:

I personally think your offense will score plenty.  This feels like a race to 30.  However, I do agree, scoring 28+ on our defense will confirm your offense is elite.  

https://t.co/uTP8JVe0q4

image.png.916aab85fba527625225f542a93707e4.png

It’s an interesting matchup for sure. Strength (IU offense) vs strength (Neb defense).

Though I’m just as interested to see how our defense looks against your guys passing game. We struggled in that area a bit vs NW, but a lot of it was due to letting Lausch escape the pocket. I’m inferring this from his stats - so correct me if I’m wrong - but Raiola seems to be more of a pocket passer. I’ll be interested to see if we can handle him better than more mobile QBs.

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

It’s an interesting matchup for sure. Strength (IU offense) vs strength (Neb defense).

Though I’m just as interested to see how our defense looks against your guys passing game. We struggled in that area a bit vs NW, but a lot of it was due to letting Lausch escape the pocket. I’m inferring this from his stats - so correct me if I’m wrong - but Raiola seems to be more of a pocket passer. I’ll be interested to see if we can handle him better than more mobile QBs.

I think you guys will throw for 300+ in the game and likely rush for 150+.  It's in the red zone where I will be most interested.  Can Nebraska keep you guys out of the end zone enough to make it a game?  

Raiola is definitely a pocket QB but he has been elusive enough to elude a blitz at times to create some big plays.  He works out with Mahomes, and his coaches, in the off season so is trying to replicate him to a degree.  He will run some but not much.  He definitely will be easier to handle than a mobile QB but he does throw a nice ball most of the time- again the freshman comes out in him occasionally.     

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Not really convinced Nebraska has played a good offense. We'll see. 

I would say the one offense that is average to above average-- ILL-- NEB struggled against.

I think Colorado is the most comparable offense we have played.  Their QB and receiving core are elite.  Outside of the Nebraska game, they are averaging 35 points and against some pretty solid teams of recent.  They put up 28 on a good K State defense this past weekend and should have had more.  Nebraska held them to 10 but that was a night game, at home, with a very juiced up crowd.  I was at that game and the crowd definitely made a huge difference.  It was the loudest game I have attended in 35 years of going to their games.

The Illinois game is definitely the worse NU defensive performance of the year.  We struggled against the run so the pass really opened up.  It is a good blue print for success against us...  I'm sure your coaches are studying that game.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NU Fan said:

I think Colorado is the most comparable offense we have played.  Their QB and receiving core are elite.  Outside of the Nebraska game, they are averaging 35 points and against some pretty solid teams of recent.  They put up 28 on a good K State defense this past weekend and should have had more.  Nebraska held them to 10 but that was a night game, at home, with a very juiced up crowd.  I was at that game and the crowd definitely made a huge difference.  It was the loudest game I have attended in 35 years of going to their games.

The Illinois game is definitely the worse NU defensive performance of the year.  We struggled against the run so the pass really opened up.  It is a good blue print for success against us...  I'm sure your coaches are studying that game.   

Agree. 

Yeah, solid W against CO. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Is it too early to call CCC the best football coach to grace the IU sideline?

Our opponents are a combined 14-22. Cig doesn’t even have a top 50 win yet much less a win over a ranked opponent. He hasn’t accomplished anything…yet…Let the guy earn it first 

Edited by Hoosier82